General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

New member - with some questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 12:02 PM

New member - with some questions

(hopefully this is the right area for new user intros - I did a search and found some here)

Hi,
I just joined the forum this morning, and I just bought an '08 Victory Red HHR over the weekend.

I traded in my '05 TrailBlazer which I had bought (sadly) just a couple months before the '06 HHRs came out - which immediately caught my eye.

I had been thinking of trading in the TB on an HHR for some time now, and last week I had to take the TB to the dealer for some warranty work on the emission systems due to a check engine light being on.

While there - they had another HHR on the showroom floor, so I picked up a brochure on them on my way out - which I told my wife was "just something to read"..

(that was last Tuesday - 01/29)

Just for fun - I checked on our GM Card earnings - and saw I had $1600, and something about a "Fill up to $3000" offer that expired on 01/31...

Thursday (01/31) we went to the dealership since I wanted to test drive one (never been in one prior) and to see what sort of trade-in my TB might have....

To make a long 3 hour visit to the dealer short ;-) We ended up trading in the TB and picking up the HHR on Saturday.

Now some questions:

Our HHR (a 1LT) did NOT come with XM - but I wanted it, and the dealer told me they could add it - which they did.
I also wanted the ipod PAL device, and according to what they read - it was compatible with the radio - so I ordered one of those too.

On Saturday - when I picked it up - they told me that there was some confusion whether or not the PAL was compatible with the XM modification - and they are getting contradictory answers when they called tech support. (supposedly they will find out for sure today)

I am curious if anyone else had XM and the PAL device added to their radio - my radio is whatever model comes with the 7 speakers and single CD player.

If I had to settle for just one or the other, XM wins for me hands down.

Second question - is the rear dome light ONLY for use as a manual on/off map/reading light for the back seat passengers - or can it be setup to come on with the lights on my rear-view mirror when the front doors are opened?

(no dome light on ours - since it has a sunroof)

I didn't even realize I *HAD* a light back there till this morning ;-)

Last question - I was kinda bummed when I read the owners manual and learned that they recommend 91 octane for the 2.4L engines - I bought the HHR since I wanted to cut my gasoline expenses - my TB was only getting 16.5 mpg.
It was delivered with a full tank of gas - so I have not had to fill it up yet, and was wondering if anyone was getting away with using 87 octane w/out any adverse effects.

I was planning on trying 89 octane at my first fill-up, since I'm a bit hesitant to go all the way down to 87...

So far - aside from the extremely noticeable steering wheel shake during braking, I am very happy with it. (only 130 miles so far)
I'm hoping to get my dealer to turn the rotors for me - this was not the HHR I test drove - otherwise, I'd have immediately told them about the shaking.

I *wish* there was a way to quickly get back to the temp/odometer display on the DIC, it's a bit of a pain cycling thru everything to get back there.

Far as I can tell - there is no indication that you have cruise set other than the initial message on the DIC that it engaged - correct?

Jim

Old 02-04-2008, 12:05 PM

Name:  welcome4.gif
Views: 17
Size:  5.6 KB to the site!!! Nice Red HHR Alot of members here with the 2.4 having been running regular with no adverse effects. Your cruise control button should have an indicator light that turns on when you turn the cruise on.
Be sure to check out the July Meet in Ohio here: 2nd Annual HHR Cedar Point Meet
Old 02-04-2008, 12:07 PM
jx3

Name:  welcome-1-1.gif
Views: 24
Size:  38.2 KB

The cruise button on the steering wheel should light up when it's on. If on, it will be lit wheter cruise is engaged or not.

Check out this thread regarding the PAL hookup.......

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/audio-video-17/pictures-gm-pal-ipod-controller-12882/

For the rear dome light, make sure it is in the center position. The rearward portion of the light should light up when any door is open.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:13 PM

Biff from a fellow Ohioan! Nice looking ride, hopefully you can join us at the Cedar Point G2G in July! I didn't think you could get the 17" polished wheels on a 1LT
Old 02-04-2008, 12:35 PM

Hi,
yes - I know the light on the steering wheel on when the cruise is enabled/on - but the question was, is there any indication that cruise is engaged (maybe "set" is a better word) other than the message that is displayed when it is first "set"?

Every other car we have had, lit up an indicator on the dash to indicate cruise was actually "set". If the HHR doesn't have one (I haven't found one if it does) then it's no big deal.

The 17" wheels was not a requirement for me - I had almost bought a different HHR (it had the other shade of '08 red) when I discovered it did not have ABS.
(I had not realized ABS was optional - I thought everything had ABS nowadays)

Since the GM Card points required me to take delivery that day off the lot - the dealer did a search and discovered they had a Victory Red one with ABS. It also had the 2LT preferred equipment group - so does that mean I bought a 2LT?
I thought I bought an LT with some 2LT options.... ;-)
I am new at this ;-)

You can see the Window Sticker here.

That link on the PAL was great news - I'm glad to see you CAN use it with XM!
I'll have to make sure to show my dealer this - just in case they are still confused whether or not it is possible...

Jim
Old 02-04-2008, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Biff

The 17" wheels was not a requirement for me - I had almost bought a different HHR (it had the other shade of '08 red) when I discovered it did not have ABS.
(I had not realized ABS was optional - I thought everything had ABS nowadays)

Since the GM Card points required me to take delivery that day off the lot - the dealer did a search and discovered they had a Victory Red one with ABS. It also had the 2LT preferred equipment group - so does that mean I bought a 2LT?
I thought I bought an LT with some 2LT options.... ;-)
I am new at this ;-)
My guess is that you have a 2 LT but you can get a definite answer by determining what suspension you have.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:47 PM

You are correct, when you set the cruise, it only lights up on the DIC for a few seconds. Then goes away. There is no continual light on the dash stating cruise is set.

Unless there was a change, the 17" wheels only come on the 2LT. that is the easiest way to tell. But your sticker states 2LT package as options.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:50 PM
Platinum Member

His post of the Window Sticker indicates that he paid for the 2lt package.

And according to that...the 17 inch painted wheels are standard in the 2lt package. He paid an additional 395 for the polished aliminum.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:57 PM

Welcome, you do have the 2LT being you have the 2LT option group with the sport-tuned suspension
Old 02-04-2008, 01:28 PM

Welcome. Dome light pg 3-19 in the manual. Gas on pg 5-5. Cruise pg 3-12. It is amazing what is in the fat little book that is in the glove box. And yes it is a pain to cycling thru that dic for info and back again. They should of had a separate read out for temp and mileage. Can't help w/ the Pal device. I have a 08 2Lt also with xm only because it was on it, nice, but after the 3 month trail is up, it is up. I'll go back to my cd's at that time. Ever want snow just drive 30-45 minutes n.e. we can't seem to give this stuff away, I know you guys don't get much in Akron.

Quick Reply: New member - with some questions