General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Newb

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2020, 07:47 AM

Newb

Hello and thanks for the add. I am hopefully picking up a nice 2008 HHR today in just a few hours from now, been researching it the past couple days, stopped at the lot last night to crawl under it an all ( looks damn near new, garage kept or something, as there's really no rust on the underside practically ) a few things I want to do is replace headlights with Smoked or clear/black lenses and LEDs and tails if I can find them. The Car is Black and the headlights are really clouded bad.
Anyways, more to come in a few hours.
Old 04-06-2020, 08:15 AM
Administrator

Nice, welcome to the site! We’ll need pictures when you get it home!
our sponsor CarID has tail lights

https://www.carid.com/ipcw-inprocarw...edt-353cb.html
Old 04-06-2020, 08:24 AM

Get the CAR FAX

Trust but verify. And welcome to the group (a "new " closely aged cousin with 2008's)
Old 04-06-2020, 08:27 AM
Platinum Member

Welcome to the site.
Old 04-06-2020, 09:19 AM

A 'clean' CarFax report is worthless. Bad things might have happened to the vehicle that weren't reported to CarFax, and so you cannot trust the vehicle.

Your money would be better spent having a trusted shop put it on their lift, and give it a good inspection.

Just my opinion.
Old 04-06-2020, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
A 'clean' CarFax report is worthless. Bad things might have happened to the vehicle that weren't reported to CarFax, and so you cannot trust the vehicle.

Your money would be better spent having a trusted shop put it on their lift, and give it a good inspection.

Just my opinion.
True, if done at a shady shop they wont report it anyways...
Old 04-06-2020, 02:54 PM
Administrator

I like to go by my own inspection and a test drive , let the HHR tell me what’s going on, and my trusty OBD II reader, I wear presentable but older clothes, so I can use my mirror wand and flash light. Look at the fuel lines for corrosion just in front of the driver’s side rear tire.
I look at the VIN through the windshield, does it match up to the VIN in the glove box?
I know , I’ll be replacing parts but it’s rust and drivetrain stuff that tells me to run, and stay away. At this age of car, plan on new fuel lines , maybe a fuel pump, timing chain, balance shaft chain and water pump, and a new thermostat and fresh Dexcool.
I don’t depend on the guy selling me his low mileage, awesomely detailed HHR has done anything to it.
But that’s just me , OCD to a fault.
Old 04-06-2020, 02:59 PM

Well I had it in my possession since 10:30am, I buffed out the headlights , gave her a bath and a good detail ( except engine compartment for now )
Cabin air filter needs replaced, full of dirt and leaves. I beat it out and put back in for now until I get one soon.
This thing has every bell and whistle you can imagine ( Power heated leather seats, audio Bluetooth controls on steering blah blah blah.... I just don't know what size motor or where the battery is located yet.
needs a bit of paint touch up on rear bumper from a cargo carrier or towing? But here she is...
Also what is this bracket near front of car , looks like a hose is supposed to connect to it like a breather? Circled in red. Thanks

Before, Cloudy headlights

During Headlight restore

After Headlight restoration

After wash

Rear Cargo

Front seats

Rear seats

Cargo area

What is this, looks like a hose should connect to it? near front of car

What is this, looks like a hose should connect to it? closer look

What is this, looks like a hose should connect to it? even closer look....
Old 04-06-2020, 03:05 PM
Administrator

Nice, the battery is in the rear spare tire compartment, that tube is normal, it goes nowhere and does nothing.
take a photo of the inside of the glove box door the sticker with the RPO codes and post here , we’ll decipher it for you.
looks like a nice clean 2LT, by the looks of the exhaust tip it’s got a 2.4 , with the GMPP exhaust system .
FE3 touring suspension, 17 inch wheels, very nice ride!
Old 04-06-2020, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Nice, the battery is in the rear spare tire compartment, that tube is normal, it goes nowhere and does nothing.
take a photo of the inside of the glove box door the sticker with the RPO codes and post here , we’ll decipher it for you.
looks like a nice clean 2LT, by the looks of the exhaust tip it’s got a 2.4 , with the GMPP exhaust system .
FE3 touring suspension, 17 inch wheels, very nice ride!
Thank you, I already pulled up the Build sheet from chevy using the VIN #... it is a 2.4

Quick Reply: Newb