General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Newbie-OnStar question...

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 08:30 PM

Newbie-OnStar question...

Hi folks. I'm new.

I have a question about Onstar.

I have a chance to buy a clean '06 Black, 2LT, with tan leather and sunroof.

I was really wanting OnStar, but knowing that this car doesn't have it, can I add the (digital) OnStar equipment to the car? If so, any idea how much $$?

I thought about posting this in the Audio section at first. Please forgive me if that's where this should've gone.

Thanks,
P.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:08 PM

I do not believe you can.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:15 PM
jx3

Name:  welcome-1-1.gif
Views: 83
Size:  38.2 KB

I believe Charles is correct.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:02 PM

Thanks!

Regardless of that, seeing pics of Crowbar's ride has prompted me to arrange a formal appointment with the dealer today......if it comes to fruition, I'll post pics soon.

P.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:26 PM
Founding Member

If you have the analog system you can upgrade to the digital. If there is no Onstar at all, it cannot be added.
Old 05-23-2008, 04:25 PM

I looked into adding OnStar to my 07 and you cannot. This is one option that if not installed at the factory, the wiring and necessary infrastructure are not there. Bummer.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:34 AM

Just curious, why do you want Onstar?
Personally, I wouldnt have gotten the Onstar if it was optional on my '08. I dont plan to renew after the free year is over, unless they give me a huge discount. These days everyone has a cellphone. What are the chances that you hit a tree in the middle of nowhere, like in the current onstar commercial?
Old 05-29-2008, 05:39 PM

After checking out the "Plans", I don't.
Actually the wife wanted "Directions and Connections". I admit, I wouldn't mind it either.....

However,
In the US, for an '06 it's $399.00/yr.
In Canada, it's $579.00/yr!!!!! I've made the argument before (over just about everything...), but our $ dollars are at or near par, why the screw (at least get to know me FIRST! LOL!)???

Also, '07's and up have cheaper rates than the '06's do?

Jokes aside, that's a major rip-off! So no, I suddenly had a change of heart-not that I could've added it anyways.

In hindsight, maybe there was a reason why Tony Soprano ripped it out of his Suburban?

Big Brother??? GM claims "NO", but can GM halt a court-order? Just a thought?
Old 07-06-2008, 09:14 AM

The outrageous price for Onstar service is only one of the reasons I wouldn't buy it. Our 2008 HHR came with Onstar -we didn't want it but were told all 2008's had it installed, and "Onstar delete" was only a Fleet option. I hate the idea of someone being able to electronically poke about my driving habits and where I've been. Tony Soprano I'm not; it is the principle of it all. So, Onstar no longer monitors us at will; I've put a hidden mechanical switch to it. Onstar gets turned on only when I park -in case some bozo decides to steal the HHR. (And that is the only benefit I see Onstar providing. Before I even put the key in the ignition, Onstar's switched off.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:30 AM

nice... onstar was sweet when i was in an accident in my trailblazer in maine. they patched in before the car even stopped moving even w/o airbag deployment. they had emergency services on the way. on the other hand i have had onstar since 2001 and the price has gone up alot! the service has also seemed to get worse long hold times, unknowledgeable staff ect ect. personal calling is silly but the directions and restraunt finding services were sweet before... now everyone has a 200 dollar gps so why pay for it? i like the basic remote diagnostic (so you dont have to pay someone to read a code), crash assistance, ability to have them call roadside assistance/AAA for you so you dont have to deal with all the prompts and trying to tell someone where you are. i like the safety and security package. if it turns into a civil libertys thing i will rip it out in a ny min but till then i will be safer.

Quick Reply: Newbie-OnStar question...