General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Noise clunk wobble

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 08:26 PM

Noise clunk wobble

So the saga continues. After adding tranny fluid finding and fixing a pinhole in the water neck fill hose I finally go get stickers for it to test drive it after motor swap. First thing I notice is a severe clunk going thru gears. I figure it’s part of not getting the crank relearn done yet so I slowly drive down the road. I feel a wobble that increases with speed and hit the brakes and it feels like the world is coming apart up front. I lift the car. Check for a loose wheel on jack stands no pressure on suspension I can tell right away lower control arm shot passenger side. I took a video and could see the wheel shoving forward and back as I changed gears. I remove wheel clunk is worse so I throw a couple lug nuts on to hold the rotor in place. Got a little better . Loaded the suspension tried again still vibrating like hell with no wheel on. So I decide to pull the caliper and try again. It gets even better and sound a lot more smooth. I did notice slop in the axel on the tranny shaft passenger side. I’m going to get the rotors replaced tomorrow. I am going to attach a pic. I was wondering is the passenger side axel seated all the way? Also any other ideas of what to check or do? I have about 3 days before I need to have this car moving
Old 07-20-2019, 07:07 AM
Administrator

The axle looks seated, just a little wet around the axle seal .
Show us the LCA rear bushings
Old 07-20-2019, 01:17 PM

Control arm bushings confirmed shot is there a clip or nut or something on the rear bolt that goes thru the big bushing? I feel it spinning but not making progress coming out
Old 07-20-2019, 01:29 PM

Well any advise now would be great whatever it is on top the bolt is just spinning I can’t see in there to know what it is
Old 07-20-2019, 02:03 PM
Technical Moderator

The nut is supposed to be captured in a compartment. I don't have a picture but you need to get a tool (screwdriver) jammed into the compartment to hold it.
Old 07-20-2019, 02:25 PM

Okay I kinda figured that was the option it’s hot out and doing this in the road bites lol. I had one “tool” in there but it must have been to small around to hold it. Is this part replaceable after I do get it loose? If not I’m thinking but and washer time
Old 07-20-2019, 02:56 PM

Well the weld on the enclosure tab broke and I can feel the inner sleeve of the bushing turning so I suppose I’m gonna have to chop away on this some. If anyone has found a fast way I haven’t seen before feel free to shout it out
Old 07-20-2019, 03:37 PM
Technical Moderator

Check the common parts thread, I think someone posted the nut and bolt part number. If not it should be common enough for your local GM parts department.

That bolt welding itself to the sleeve is not rare. I remember a thread about it. I'll look for it. SwaintaN had the problem but didn't post his resolution, you could try a PM.
Here is another thread: https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/brak...says-no-51562/
Bolt part number= 11589009
From what I can tell the nut is sold as part of the sub frame so you would have to match it up.

Last edited by donbrew; 07-20-2019 at 04:38 PM.
Old 07-21-2019, 09:20 AM
Administrator

That bolt seems endless if you aren’t using an impact wrench , twisting it out with a ratchet is torture
Old 07-21-2019, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
That bolt seems endless if you aren’t using an impact wrench , twisting it out with a ratchet is torture
It depends on what size drive ratchet you're using.
Plus two people might help.

Quick Reply: Noise clunk wobble