General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

OBD Scanner recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 04:25 AM

OBD Scanner recommendations?

Just curious as to what would be a good scanner to get.....I'm ditching my '87 Wagoneer as a DD (horrible gas mileage, go figure) and going for a '00 Park Ave. Eventually I guess a code will pop up on the HHR; figure I'll have to bite the bullet, join the 21st century, and get a scanner.

Soooooo.......any recommends? Any to stay AWAY from?

Thanks!
Old 03-28-2011, 05:38 AM

I actually am in love with the torque app for iphone/android smart phones, you get a bluetooth OBD2 scanner and you can clear, check, and do anything you want with that App, and total it can run from like $40- $100 for the app and the scanner.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:38 AM

I am using a Hand held Autoxray now and a Aero Force scan meter in my HHR SS.

I love both.

Watch some of the scanners as they do not work with Windows Vista and 7. It would make updates nearly impossible.

Read some reviews on what ever you buy and make sure the updates go smooth before you buy. Otherwise they mostly all work the same.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
Read some reviews on what ever you buy and make sure the updates go smooth before you buy. Otherwise they mostly all work the same.
Good idea; time for a little research....Thanks for the info!
Old 03-28-2011, 01:11 PM

Yeah, I've been trying to find a good one for me... I just have OBDII, no CAN scanner... Price is just an issue, but like others said, make sure you read reviews first!
Old 03-28-2011, 01:12 PM

Actron Pocket Scan CP9125 work fine for me. I Detected and fixed some failures on my HHR with this. Also, Erases codes and is cheap.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:45 PM

I also use Torque with my Droid 2 and it works great. Connects with a cheap OBD2 Bluetooth adapter from ebay and the setup cost less the $40 for everything. It will also let you do data logging, setup custom gauges and performance times. Link for Torque: Click me
Old 03-28-2011, 06:58 PM
Rest In Peace

Has anyone used this Model? The Link is a Video from Amazon about the Actron CP9580 Auto Scanner.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/mpd/permali...ef=ent_fb_link
Old 03-28-2011, 07:04 PM

The Actrons are very nice units but they have issues with customer service and they are one with update issues with some Windows applications.

Where I work sells Equis, Actron and Autoxray. They are all good units but the Autoray was the one with the less bugs. If my Windows was not one of the conflicted ones with Actron that is what I would have bought.

I have not had issues with the customer service but I have had customer complain.

My Autoxray does what I want with setting and reading codes. It even defines the codes. I can do OBD1 and OBD II. I just used mine to fix the Pruge Valve on my GTP.

The Actron will work for many as and it would be a good unit if you have an older Windows or they update their systems.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
The Actrons are very nice units but they have issues with customer service and they are one with update issues with some Windows applications. .
Thanks for the info, I was leaning towards Actron, but if it won't work with Windows 7, that could be a problem.

I have heard good things about the Autoxrays on some other forums, I'll look into those.

Quick Reply: OBD Scanner recommendations?