General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Oil Filter Cap

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 10:04 AM

Oil Filter Cap

Quick question....is there suppose to be a rubber ring on the oil filter cap? I always do my own oil change and when I first got my car I don't remember there being a rubber ring on it but the oil filters I get come with a rubber ring. I have always put it on and have had no trouble. Last weekend I did an oil change and noticed a puddle of oil under my car, when I got to looking it looks as though it's leaking from the oil cap. As I said, I have never had this problem before but now wondering if this rubber ring is the problem? I drove it 3-4 days since the oil change and now it's leaking...strange
Old 09-11-2010, 10:08 AM

There should be a ring on the cap.

If needed AC Delco sells the cap pretty cheap.

The rings with age can get lose and come off when the cap is removed. The question is where did it come off and where is it now?
Old 09-11-2010, 10:32 AM

The ring is still on the cap, I can see when I look under the hood. The deal is, it looks all smashed as though the cap was put on to tight. Last night I took the cap loose, the ring went back to it's proper shape and I screwed the cap back on and the ring looked fine. Ran an errand this morning, come home and popped the hood and the ring looks as though it getting that smashed look again like the cap was put on real tight....which it wasn't.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:23 AM

something is not fitting together right. when the cap is tightened down you should not be able to see the o-ring. may be time for a new cap and seal. I wonder if there is an old o-ring stuck in there not alowing the ring you put on the cap to sit where it should.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:34 AM

Yes The rubber ring may have stretched and needs replaced. They are cheap.

Do check the groove to make sure it is clear but it should be if you have never replaced the filter cap.

Note the ring and cap come together.
Old 09-11-2010, 12:04 PM

The rubber ring is not all the way to the top of the cap right? It goes threads....the ring...then a small gap...then the top of the cap right?
Old 09-11-2010, 12:15 PM
Platinum Member

A while back, GM wrote a "bulletin" (including pictures) to all service dealers indicating that SOME aftermarket oil filters that also include a cap sealing ring, do not meet GM specification and have been failing and leaking. You probably have one of these.

If I find the copy of the bulletin, I'll post it, since it has an explanation of how you MAY determine what should not be used. IT DOES NOT NAME NAMES.

By the way, you did not mention the brand name of the filter manufacturer. I assumed it was an aftermarket.

Oh, I found the article, but I'm having the damnest time trying to copy it. So, I'll also say the green ring should be rounded over the grove that it fits it. GM says the ones they experienced problems with, have more or less a flat edged o ring.

If anyone has access to GM TechLinks it is in the May 2009 issue.

Last edited by Snoopy; 09-11-2010 at 11:49 PM. Reason: additional info.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:35 PM
Platinum Member

AC Delco oil filter

Here's what the AC Delco (factory filter & o-rings) should look like. You can't see it but the cap has an under-cut to locate the top big O-ring. About 1/8" down from the top lip...

I would suggest you wipe some oil on the O-rings so they can slide into place with no friction to chaff, cut or disturb them.. I also wipe the inside of filter location w/oil. & should NOT ever be able to see the Big O-ring when cap is tightened..(as was already mentioned) If you do, there is a problem..

This cap should easily be able to be wound down "by hand" till it's about bottomed out & them, you add your socket & tighten..
Attached Images  
Old 09-12-2010, 02:22 PM
Platinum Member

I found a way around the Techlink site.

Click on the link below, which is PDF format, and scroll down to page 3. It has the info on the aftermarket oil filters and caps.

http://www.sandyblogs.com/techlink/techlink_May_09.pdf

Other very useful info is also available from that website. Play with it.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:01 PM
Platinum Member

Snoopy- Good info. Thanks

While on the oil subject, here's my magnetic drain plug. Yes it has some power..

Lil extra insurance, imo..
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Oil Filter Cap