General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Oil life display

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 10:01 PM

Oil life display

I have been wondering what everyone else has been doing as far as an oil change schedule. I notice that the oil life display would probably run oil about 6000 miles. I spoke with a friend that is retired GM that said he thought the standard 3000-3500 was a full life for oil. "At least the first oil change or two" I spoke with dealer who gave same advice. I have been having it changed at roughly the 3K schedule. I read the owners manual where the display is supposed to count time, engine rpm vs revolution total and calculates the life expectancy of the oil. What are the rest of you doing?
Old 02-26-2008, 10:07 PM

This has been discussed in several threads here on the site. Some very useful information has been exchanged. Do a search and check them out. Me -- I'm using the OLM as a guide and will probably do the oil change at about 20% or so.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:11 PM

The same as above, When the DIC say's change oil soon
Old 02-26-2008, 10:21 PM

I'm at just about 3100 now and at the 51% range--so it would seem about 5,000 or so would be about right based on what folks on here say and what I was thinking...
Old 02-26-2008, 11:44 PM

On my last oil change I went 8100 miles and the OLM said 16% oil life left. I had the oil analyzed and the wear numbers were very good.

I'm currently at 32% oil life left with 5000 miles on it. These cold winters are hard on oil.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:28 AM

All my cars have had the oil changed at 5k because first of all, it's pretty much what has always been recommended, second, it's easy to remember to change your oil "on the nickles", what I mean is by looking at the odometer, you know when it's time. 55000, it's time! 60000, it's time!

But now the newer cars want 3k changes, 5w-30 instead of the good old 10w-30. I think the Camery wants 5w-20 !
Tighter tolerances in the motors I guess.

So I asked the service manager and he said "how often do you want to change it?" Well I said, I am mostly on the highway, I think 4500-5000 would be reasonable seeing as at 3k the oil life readout is still better than 50%. but at the same time I do not want to cause warranty problems should something happen. He said that those numbers would be fine. So go figure.

I will lean towards the 4500 as changing your oil often does not hurt. Besides, I have them do it, it gets greased AND they wash it for around $23. while I bug the salesmen and drink the coffee!
Old 02-27-2008, 05:38 AM

I got 11,000 out of my first fill of synthetic, I still change the filter at 3,000, Just because "I" want to.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:43 AM

The one thing to keep in mind is, the longer you leave the oil in the engine the more dirt it collects and circulates around in the engine. This dirt is commonly called sludge.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by Kicker|MyU

But now the newer cars want 3k changes, 5w-30 instead of the good old 10w-30. I think the Camery wants 5w-20 !
Tighter tolerances in the motors I guess.

So I asked the service manager and he said "how often do you want to change it?" Well I said, I am mostly on the highway, I think 4500-5000 would be reasonable seeing as at 3k the oil life readout is still better than 50%. but at the same time I do not want to cause warranty problems should something happen. He said that those numbers would be fine. So go figure.

I will lean towards the 4500 as changing your oil often does not hurt. Besides, I have them do it, it gets greased AND they wash it for around $23. while I bug the salesmen and drink the coffee!
Actually, new cars state longer spans bewteen changes. My wifes MPV states 7500 miles. It also calles for 5w20.

I'm actually suprised the service manager stated to go longer than the old 3K changes, that's money he looses, not you. There is nothing to "grease" on the HHR chassis. I always tell then to not wash it if it's there for anything. I don't want their dirty brushes on the paint.

You won't have any warranty issues if you follow the DIC. If he states different, ask him to put that in writing..... I will trust the engineers at GM before I ever trust any service writer that is only there for a paycheck.

But, to each their own. I'm getting ready for my next oil change, the DIC just hit 28%, so another month or so.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by db0001
The one thing to keep in mind is, the longer you leave the oil in the engine the more dirt it collects and circulates around in the engine. This dirt is commonly called sludge.
Lets see you back up that comment? There is a lot more to sludge than that.

Sludge in gasoline engines is usually black emulsion of water and other combustion by-products, and oil formed primarily during low-temperature engine operation. Sludge is typically soft, but can polymerize to very hard substance. It plugs oil lines and screens, and accelerates wear of engine parts. Sludge deposits can be controlled with a dispersant additive that keeps the sludge constituents finely suspended in the oil.

"Black Sludge" is defined as thick to solid material with low water content, of dark color, light oil insolubles, and typically found in rocker cover, cylinder head, timing chain cover, oil sump, oil pump screen, and oil rings in variable quantities.
Sludge is more prone due to bad engine design.

Quick Reply: Oil life display