General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Oil Loss ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2021, 11:22 AM

Oil Loss ?

Yesterday I topped off all my fluids, The oil especially which surprised me.... it was really low? I had it changed at the shop in the fall ( son in law ) and I checked it myself after as I always do...
But it took about 2 quarts to top it off? During the summer and all it stayed full until the next change but this time Im baffled as it doesnt leak or smoke at all anywhere.
Old 01-22-2021, 12:23 PM
Administrator

Check the elbow at the throttle body, is there oil there?

Look at this area of the elbow for oil, it can get sucked from the valve cover, the solution is to soak the valve cover in warm water and Dawn dish soak over night.
Old 01-22-2021, 12:29 PM
geg

some oils burn out ...
cheap varieties, or substandard, or fake ...
It does not burn intensely and you will not see blue smoke as if the piston rings are damaged, but a gradual imperceptible loss can catch you by surprise.
If you are not sure about your oil and want to check - replace the oil with something that you are 100% sure of. Use the oil that you had before and did not disappear.
Old 01-22-2021, 02:59 PM

I always found that M1 disappears inordinately fast.
Old 01-22-2021, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Check the elbow at the throttle body, is there oil there?

Look at this area of the elbow for oil, it can get sucked from the valve cover, the solution is to soak the valve cover in warm water and Dawn dish soak over night.
nope, clean and dry

Old 01-22-2021, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by geg
some oils burn out ...
cheap varieties, or substandard, or fake ...
It does not burn intensely and you will not see blue smoke as if the piston rings are damaged, but a gradual imperceptible loss can catch you by surprise.
If you are not sure about your oil and want to check - replace the oil with something that you are 100% sure of. Use the oil that you had before and did not disappear.
Its the same "Dino" we used before a higher grade conventional oil as I cant see the high price of synthetic oils.... inside the motor is clean surprisingly as I ran a few full cans of seafoam in the oild before getting it changed when I first got it and the oil has never been black, just the usual dirty brown when changed, no unusual smells either. I do alot of daily running with very few stops ( 3 stops to get to the store and highway and a good 30 minutes on the highways to get to whatever next city or town I go to ) so not much stop n go ... just surprised me this time, maybe due to the cold? as it stayed full all summer and fall...odd
Old 01-22-2021, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Bonez
nope, clean and dry
You need to look inside the hose.
Old 01-22-2021, 06:43 PM
Administrator

Yes undo that bottom clamp remove the hose from the throttle body. The oil would be inside the hose, sorry I wasn’t more detailed in my directions.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
You need to look inside the hose.
I did, had airbox off recently to fix that rattling grommet. all clean and dry inside.
Old 01-23-2021, 01:20 AM
geg

Originally Posted by Bonez
Its the same "Dino" ...odd
a couple of years ago I took the habit of buying oil in large volumes - it is cheaper per liter, something like a wholesale.
And so, I bought a 20 liter canister "Wolf oil" (Belgium, they pour from one barrel into GM canisters and their own brand).
The first canister was great, not a single ounce of oil disappeared.
The second canister was exactly the same, bought 2 years later from the same seller. But! .. The look / color of the oil is slightly different. And it burns out! about 300 grams per 1000 km.
Replaced with Kixx oil (Korea) - no losses. Although Korean oil is cheaper than European one.
I don’t know the reason ... Either the factory began to lower the quality, or a wholesaler in St. Petersburg learned to counterfeit oil.

Quick Reply: Oil Loss ?