General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Ooga anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 01:19 AM

Ooga anyone?

I'm ready to add the cherry on the sundae by finally fitting-out my HHR with a good, ol' fashioned Ooga horn to replace the standard vehicle horn.

The problem isn't finding an "Ooga" horn; it's finding a quality horn that's been a bit of a challenge. The market is awash with $30-$50 el cheap-o kiss-yer-sister plastic-belled and synthesized poseurs from eBay, hornblasters.com, and JCWhitney, but I'm looking for as close to the McCoy as exists that's compatible with today's vehicle wiring and power infrastructure.

I've Googled my brains out and taken a cursory glance at some of the "hot rodder" forums to see if there's any more specific knowledge among those who might be more predisposed to restoring or modifying their vehicles with period-appopriate accessories. However, before I take the full plunge of registering at another forum (or group of forums), make the proper introductions and so forth before asking my idiot newbie question, I thought I might take a stab here with the hope that a latent "ooga afficionado" may also happen to be an avid HHR owner.

Thanks, in advance, to all who may have any relevant guidance to offer.

Remmie.
Old 03-26-2008, 03:36 AM

JC Whitney my man.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...015146/c-10101
Old 03-26-2008, 06:57 AM

One of our Supporting Vendor carries one as well:
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/deleted-threads-41/we-now-have-chrome-ah-ooo-gah-horns-11078/

Now I see he only has on eBay.

There are many places to get the horn,Auto Barn, even some of the local pepboys and such.

I have no other horn except for the Ooga, and it has been that way for over 1 1/2 yrs. Enjoy when you get it.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Kicker|MyU
Same as mine except mine is chrome and much cheaper.

Originally Posted by karen1953
One of our Supporting Vendor carries one as well:
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/showthread.php?t=11078

Now I see he only has on eBay.

There are many places to get the horn,Auto Barn, even some of the local pepboys and such.

I have no other horn except for the Ooga, and it has been that way for over 1 1/2 yrs. Enjoy when you get it.
Thanks for the mention Karen!

Most of the ones you'll find will be the same as I sell. To get something special, you should try a few of the horn speciallty sites but be ready to spend a bunch more.

So far everyone who has purchased mine have been very happy!
Old 03-27-2008, 10:42 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, though they seem to be of the same kind I saw and took a pass on from JC Whitney/Pep Boys/etc, as first mentioned.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Remford
Thanks for the suggestions, though they seem to be of the same kind I saw and took a pass on from JC Whitney/Pep Boys/etc, as first mentioned.
Mine is chrome and it sounds GREAT !!!...
Got mine @ ebay vendor and very pleased.

curtsy
Elle'
Old 03-27-2008, 11:54 PM

That JC Whitney horn shown is motor driven like the ones of old. Don't really understand what you are looking for, because that one is pretty good. I know folks who have them on their street rods in our car club, and they work fine.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:22 PM

It may be "motor driven", but it's hardly the same kind of throaty timbre found in classic horns, which is why I tried my best to qualify my question by noting that those found at JCWhitney, eBay, and so forth were not what I was looking for. Use a plastic bell, you get a plasticky sounding horn, very much unlike, and especially when compared to, the sound from horns of that type made with all-of all-metal construction and components.

Fortunately, I managed to find what I was looking for. Thanks to all for the suggestions.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:28 PM

how about a link ? I'm sure others are just as interested.

curtsy
Elle'
Old 03-30-2008, 05:05 AM

http://www.mikes-afordable.com/index.asp