General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Play in Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 09:35 PM

Play in Wheels

I had posted awhile back that my tires were noisy. I was thinking I might need brakes so I'm replacing them now, as the rotors are shaking anyway.

While I have them off, I just twisted on the hubs front to back (not side to side). There's a lot of play in them and they're noisy. The play seems to be coming from where the axels go into the engine.

Any ideas of what this is, and is it as expensive as it feels?
Old 09-10-2010, 12:04 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by AJochum
I had posted awhile back that my tires were noisy. I was thinking I might need brakes so I'm replacing them now, as the rotors are shaking anyway.

While I have them off, I just twisted on the hubs front to back (not side to side). There's a lot of play in them and they're noisy. The play seems to be coming from where the axels go into the engine.

Any ideas of what this is, and is it as expensive as it feels?
I remember your post. Sounds like you may be ready for new Hub(s), but I'd still check end-play at the hub. Should be less than .002
Yes you will see the "in & out" play in the axle if wheel bearing is bad..

The axle is held captive by the hub nut (see pic).
So if hub bearing has too much end-play & moves, the axle will follow, it's connected to it..
Attached Images  
Old 09-10-2010, 07:16 AM

I'm not sure if I phrased this right. If I place my hands on the hub and turn it back and forth in the direction that the wheels go down the road (forward and backwards) - that's where the play is. It makes a clunk where the axel enters the engine. Has about 1/2" of play or so. Sort of like a U-joint is shot inside. There is no play when I pull them in and out.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:31 PM
Platinum Member

My misunderstanding.

Could the CV joint(s) be bad ?
Old 09-11-2010, 12:34 AM

I am not mechanic, and I sure and h*ll am not going to pretend to be, but from what I remember from my last car if there is play back and forth, it is typically the wheel bearings or hub unit, and if the play is top to bottom, then it is normally the ball joints. Take that with a grain of salt, because like I said before. I am no mechanic...but I hope this helps.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by daddy2isaiah04
I am not mechanic, and I sure and h*ll am not going to pretend to be, but from what I remember from my last car if there is play back and forth, it is typically the wheel bearings or hub unit, and if the play is top to bottom, then it is normally the ball joints. Take that with a grain of salt, because like I said before. I am no mechanic...but I hope this helps.
In the older cars play in the hub was normal for the bearing as it kicked the pads off the rotor.

In todays cars .001-.002 is acceptable but no more than that.

The other play on the HHR is in the Lower ball joint or tie rod. I have not see much on these going bad of yet.

Some hhr's have had issues on the control arm bushing like the Cobalt and they will clunk.

Now what you discribe sounds like the play is when you turn the rotor froward and back. In the way it rotates. If that is the case you will have play and it will make a clunk as you have a differential in the lower part of the trans axle. They all should have play and most make some noise.

If I understand you correctly you should be ok as that is normal.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by sleeper
My misunderstanding.

Could the CV joint(s) be bad ?
Bad CV normally clicks down the road. and will make more noise on a turn.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
Bad CV normally clicks down the road. and will make more noise on a turn.
The play is where the axel enters the engine. Is there some type of U-joint of sorts in there?
Old 09-11-2010, 11:13 AM

I think you are talking about play where the inner axle joint enters the trans. when you rotate the shaft back and forth. I am going to assume that you only have one side of the car jacked up off the ground. some play is normal it is the clearances and movement between the differential gears,the spider gears,and the axle splines. there is alot going on in there.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by AJochum
The play is where the axel enters the engine. Is there some type of U-joint of sorts in there?
The axle enters the transaxle that is made up of the transmission and differential. The diff make the car go around corners as one wheel turns faster than the other.

The dif has gears in it that have some play and will make a clunk when you roll them back and forth.

Form what you discribe as I understand it the nose and movement you have is normal.

There is play in the drive line and it hurts nothing.

Quick Reply: Play in Wheels