General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Potential Buyer With Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 04:28 PM

Potential Buyer With Questions

Hello, I have been test driving the HHR 2.4L and am so far impressed with the ride. Since I am still undecided as to whether I should buy one, I am soliciting some advice/input from current/former HHR owners. So here are a few questions.

1) How satisfied are you with the braking ability of the HHR? I am concerned about the rear drum brakes. I have also read that the HHR tends to swerve when braking hard.

2) How satisfied are you with the cargo space? Specifically, the opening at the rear seems a bit small compared to similar models. Has this been a problem for anyone? Can you list an example of something large you have fit into the cargo area?

3) The one thing that bugs me the most about the HHR is the super-bland interior. What kinds of mods are available to jazz up the interior with some elegance?

4) What are your thoughts on the quality of the exterior paint?

5) What do you like most about your HHR?

6) What do you dislike most about your HHR?

7) How long have you owned your HHR?

I know this sounds a bit like a survey from Chevy, but I do not know anyone who owns one of these and I need owner input. Thanks in advance to everyone who replies.

Cheers!
Old 06-06-2007, 04:44 PM

Thumbs up

1) Brakes are good for me. Out brakes the Malibu it replaced
2) It has great cargo space. I carry two R/C airplanes both with wingspans over 5' plus all the gear to go with them all the time.
3) Go to the supporting vendors section or check out eBay. There is a bunch.
4) Paint is a hot topic. Get the running boards and you'll be fine.
5) Cargo Space & Style
6) Cloth Seats
7) 1 month
Old 06-06-2007, 04:47 PM

1) I have had no problem with Braking.
2) Dishwasher, 10' 4x4's that is about it.
3) Wood grain the dash found on eBay or others have found on the web.
4) I have no problem MUST get the Step up bars/ Running Bds, to protect the rear panels.
5)The room, the style, the looks I get.
6) Cup holders,,,I am used to them now.
7)1 yr and 2 mths.
2006 SOM 2.4 Auto, Chrome Pkg., and More
Old 06-06-2007, 05:04 PM

1) How satisfied are you with the braking ability of the HHR? I am concerned about the rear drum brakes. I have also read that the HHR tends to swerve when braking hard.

I have had no issues with braking at all. The LT model do offer ABS as an option, the LS doesn't.

2) How satisfied are you with the cargo space? Specifically, the opening at the rear seems a bit small compared to similar models. Has this been a problem for anyone? Can you list an example of something large you have fit into the cargo area?

Cargo space is great! I love the space under the deck. The opening is as large as most wagons on the market. Remember that's what this truly is, a Cobalt wagon, not a SUV or truck.

3) The one thing that bugs me the most about the HHR is the super-bland interior. What kinds of mods are available to jazz up the interior with some elegance?

You can get a wide variety of dash kits which change the look of the interior greatly. Many, including me, have pulled off and painted many of the interior pieces. I would suggest getting leather seats, many here have complained about the cloth staining easily.

The paint quality is average. It is a 20K car. The issue about running boards is that the rear fenders can take a beating without the running boards.

I love the looks, economy, handling, and versitality.

The window switches and cup holders are awkward but I've gotten use to them. The thing that bugs me though is not having an inside release for the rear hatch.

Since May of 2006

Hope this helps and welcome!
Old 06-06-2007, 05:18 PM

Name:  welcome4.gif
Views: 47
Size:  5.6 KB to the site!!!

1) No problems with brakes here. Also no ABS either.
2) Cargo is great.
3) Interior isn't that bad.
4) I dont think the exterior quality of paint is the greatest and that has nothing to do with the running board issue.
5) Versatility
6) Making payments
7) 10 months
Old 06-06-2007, 05:36 PM

1. I have had no issues with braking at all. I do have ABS and tracton control and love it.

2. Cargo space is awsome. We have had several vacation and shopping trips, and it's surprising just how much you can fit in the rear cargo area.

3. As others have said, there are many options to spruce up the interior from brush aluminum to wood grain.

4. I agree with GDZHHR, it is average. Running boards are a must, and splash guards are recomended.

5. Style, economy and the retro look.

6. Cloth seats. They stain very easliy and are difficult to clean. Water spots show up very badly. Really wish I would have got the leather seats. I have got used to the window swithches and like thier placement now. I don't use the cup holders very often, but they are a bit inconvienient.

7. I've had my HHR a year and 5 months, and have driven it 38,000 miles.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:28 PM
jx3

Name:  Welcome-18-june.gif
Views: 50
Size:  61.7 KB
Originally Posted by Spookius Mortem
Mine have stopped me every time! So no probs there.
Quite satisfied with the space, however, I've not tried to fit one thing that's on the larger side.
Paint that matches the exterior color does wonders!
From personal experience, I think it rather sucks. And this has nothing to do with the running board issue.
The retro styling!!
The frequent times I've had to take it to a dealer to get repairs made (TSBs). But not totally unexpeceted for a 1st year run.
September will make two years.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:59 PM

1) I haven't had a problem with the brakes. They seem to work better than the ABS system on my minivan. I guess it has to do with less weight.

2) Plent of cargo space. I carried almost everything my son needed to and back from college. We put his bicycle on the rack on the back. I also had 2 6' tall 19-year-olds, luggage, Christmas presents, and a cooler in there last Christmas and no one was uncomfortable.

3) I'm too busy admiring the exterior to worry about the interior. I do find it hard to keep the cloth seats clean. But, I've always preferred a gray interior over tan anyway.

4) I have plenty of rock chips but most are on the front hood. I haven't seen problems anywhere else.

5) The price and the economy of driving one.

6) Selection is very limited in my area. But that's Chevy's fault, not the HHRs'.

7) June 30th I'll have mine 1 year and I now have 12,000 miles on it. I'm one very satisfied customer!
Old 06-06-2007, 07:02 PM

We have the black interior and most people comment on how rich it looks compared to the other options. There are some really good dash kits too!
Old 06-06-2007, 07:16 PM

1. No braking issues here...and mine came with the ABS package.

2. Very pleased with the cargo area size. When I moved about 18 months ago, I filled the car up, floor to ceiling with stuff. The front passenger seat folds down flat, as do the rear seats, so there's a ton of room to haul all sorts of stuff.

3. The interior isn't all that bad...but I wanted something to break up all the plastic, so I installed a 55 piece dash kit in a dark wood grain. Looks great and really adds a nice touch to the interior.

4. No real problems with the paint...I did get running boards before I experienced any chipping due to rocks. Other than that, I've just seen the normal little stuff you'll get from time to time. Unfortunately, unless you rarely drive it, that's going to happen.

5. I like the syle and the color of mine, as well as the price. I've got a 2006 Sunburst Orange Metallice 1LT and always have people gawking at it when I'm on the road, or asking me questions when it's parked.

6. Window switches and cup holders are a bit awkward, but you get used to them. I really wish that they came with a release for the rear hatch and especially the gas door. With gas being over $3.00 a gallon, I wouldn't worry near as much knowing it couldn't be accessed so easily.

7. I bought mine on 1/2/06, so I have had it about 17 months and I love it. I don't drive alot of places, so mine only has 7,100 miles on it right now...but it's slowly creeping up there.

Quick Reply: Potential Buyer With Questions