General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Power Converters

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 11:15 PM

Power Converters

I have a new HHr Panel and i was reading in the owners book that you can install a power converter in the HHR. Does anyone know anything about this or where i can get one. i have tryed talking to Chevy costumer support but they are no help and dont know anything about what it am talking about. .so i hope that someone here may know something.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:19 AM
Banned

Do you mean a power inverter so you can run household AC devices in your car? If so then hell you can go to any autoparts store, electronics store, or store like Walmart, Sears, or K-mart and buy one. If you’re asking Chevy about a power converter I can see why they would be confused.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by captain howdy
Do you mean a power inverter so you can run household AC devices in your car? If so then hell you can go to any autoparts store, electronics store, or store like Walmart, Sears, or K-mart and buy one. If you’re asking Chevy about a power converter I can see why they would be confused.
Best bet if you don't know about them is to go to an auto stereo shop and tell them what you want to run. They shoudl be able to suggest a "size" you need. You can even get them as small as they plug in to the power outlet and run small items.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:46 AM

I have had two plugged in while driving with no effect on the car's performance. The boys each had their laptops drawing power. We use those little units that fit in the cigarette lighter with a plug in the back.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:00 PM

Reviving an oldie here, but,
One of my headrest dvd and moniter took a crap on me a while back, but the moniter still works fine it just cant read the dvds anymore now we are getting ready for a vacation. My question is....Can I put my 1200w inverter in the back and run a playstation with it. I know its more than powerful enough, I'm more worried about the extra draw the inverter would create I should be okay as long as the car is running and of course I'd turn off the thing when parked.
any thoughts? would a smaller inveter be safer? would the inverter cause any interferance with the dvd player that is still working. The two are wired seperatly and each headrest has its own dvd player.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:10 PM

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/just-got-new-toy-install-16342/

Name:  DSC00547.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  45.6 KB
Old 07-25-2008, 08:53 PM

thanks, and any pics of the final outlet. Have you have any problems with it, killing battery..getting to hot.. sound interferance with other electronic parts.
Did you just run an extension cord from under the rear deck to the side panel there? How did you affix the outlet to the panel? I neeeeeeed more details. I cant wait to do this now.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:46 PM

Posted on another HHR forum... but this is how his turned out. He was going to put a different outlet cover on though.

Name:  DSC00549.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  62.6 KB
Old 07-26-2008, 06:07 AM

Check out this thread: I just got a new toy to install.
Old 07-26-2008, 11:21 AM

I read that thread but it didn't have any updates about how its been working, how he turns it on and off, or how he ran wires to the final outlet spot. I was just hoping for some more info anbout the behind the scenes stuff.
Thanks for the links though.

Quick Reply: Power Converters