General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Need some advice on HHR purchase

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 09:50 AM

Need some advice on HHR purchase

New to the site and was hoping I could get some advice on purchasing a HHR. Living in Wisconsin we get a fair amount of snow, and was trying to decide between an HHR SS with an automatic trans or looking for an HHR with a 2.4l. Anybody have any experience with the SS in snow since I am leaning towards that option.
Old 12-23-2016, 11:06 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, I have a lowered 2.2 automatic, live in snow country, most important is the tires, if you choose an SS or a 2LT get a set of winter tires mounted on rims of the season!

I've kinda thought an SS in the snow and salt , no drive a beater!
Old 12-23-2016, 11:12 AM

The tires you use will make a pretty big difference for performance in the snow, surely more than whether it's an SS or not.

I have two 2.2L HHR's and they both have Pirelli P4 Four Season Plus - P205/60R16. They are a TINY bit bigger in diameter than the 215/55R16 specified on the door pillar but also slightly narrower.

Going to narrower tires is counter-intuitive for the performance crowd but it's better for rain and especially snow. This is a big issue for my wife, and these are daily drivers for us.

This size of course is inappropriate for an SS but the principle could be applied.

This tire has apparently been made in at least three speed ratings and both times my local Sam's Club had a closeout on a particular speed rating and they were ridiculously cheap; most recently, earlier this month, the higher speed rating, 92V was $15-$20 less per tire, about $85. With the (still current) $80 promo discount it was $350 out-the-door. I don't have the paperwork handy but the warranty was slightly less that the 90,000 miles for the currently stocked 92T rating. Boo hoo.

Pretty sure both my HHR's will die with these tires, but more important, my wife loves 'em in the snow. Happy life.
Old 12-23-2016, 11:21 AM

I had an '08 2LT with the 2.4 motor. I did not drive it in the winter but, the guy that I sold it to installed Michelin X-ice tires and said that it was very good on bad roads.
I now have an SS but, I do not and would not recommend driving that in the winter. They do not build them anymore and they are simply too nice to use like that.
Old 12-23-2016, 12:35 PM

I have the 205/60R/16 Michelin Ice 3 on my 1LT with the 2.4L auto.

Set cold air at 30psi front and 28psi rear. Outside temp at the time was about 28 degrees.

I live in a flat area so that makes it an easier drive but they work great and are round and have hardly any noticeable noise on the dry/wet pavement.
They are directional so make sure they get mounted properly.

If you go SS you would have to look up the size on that particular vehicle and see if Michelin Ice 3 is made for that application.

If you have really bad snow I would also consider the Bridgestone Blizzacks.
They are Slightly more aggressive and a little noisier on dry/wet pavement.

SF
Old 12-23-2016, 02:44 PM

Weather permitting, I hope to look at the SS on Monday. Anything in particular that I should be watching out for? Any major maintenance items I need to be aware of? I think it has about 85,000 miles on it.
Old 12-23-2016, 03:02 PM
Platinum Member

Depends. What year SS ?
Old 12-23-2016, 03:10 PM

If the car has been a WI car for its entire life, watch for rust. Check the undercarriage and at the bottom of the doors. By all means, speak to the original owner, if that can be determined. Other than that, look it over as you would any other car that you were buying. If you are not a mechanic, by all means take one along with you. It is always good to have an unbiased set of eyes. I think that I have located the one that you are going to see.
Old 12-23-2016, 06:16 PM

Noisy scarey-sounding worn front suspension parts might get you a car cheap, even if it's pretty easy to fix. Check out repair cost first, though. Stabilizer bar links can go really and are easily replaced, for example. Watch for dead speakers. That's a nuisance.

Last edited by PulpFriction; 12-23-2016 at 06:19 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-26-2016, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by roketrex
New to the site and was hoping I could get some advice on purchasing a HHR. Living in Wisconsin we get a fair amount of snow, and was trying to decide between an HHR SS with an automatic trans or looking for an HHR with a 2.4l. Anybody have any experience with the SS in snow since I am leaning towards that option.
I drive an SS in the winter here in Ontario. I have 4 winter tires on mine and it handles great in the snow. It's my DD.

Quick Reply: Need some advice on HHR purchase