General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Real-world Trade Values

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2006, 04:18 PM

Arrow Real-world Trade Values

I know we've all discussed trade values before, but I was keying in my specs to both KBB and NADA for the heck of it... and with as similar terms as allowed, KBB reports the trade value at $12,585. NADA reports it at $16,025. (NADA also quoted the "average retail" for my vehicle at $18,650! ) What do you all think?
Old 12-25-2006, 04:44 PM

Are you tradein in your HHR for another ride?
Old 12-25-2006, 04:49 PM

My Camaro is only valued at $9,350 after all the work I put into it. Thats why I don't pay attention to that stuff.
Old 12-25-2006, 04:59 PM

Question

Originally Posted by SIHHR
Are you tradein in your HHR for another ride?
I don't know what I'm going to do. I bought the one I have now when I was between a rock and a hard place. I needed a car ASAP and the HHR was the only thing I liked that fit my budget. And unfortunately, there were only 2 to choose from on the lot; mine and a silver one. I knew I wanted black, even though the silver one was slightly better equipped. Now that a year has passed, I'm thinking about either trading up to a fully loaded HHR or simply something else. But according to KBB, my car has lost nearly $7,500 in value in it's first year. I love the new car smell but I don't know if I love it enough to buy brand new again!
Old 12-25-2006, 05:47 PM
Banned

Yup, our trade in value sucks! I didn't expect the car to depreciate as much as it has. I should have expected it though.
Old 12-25-2006, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by captain howdy
Yup, our trade in value sucks! I didn't expect the car to depreciate as much as it has. I should have expected it though.
Well for a while our residuals were holding up well for a Chevy. But in the last few months, they've started to take a dive and follow in the footsteps of every other domestic.

I still can't buy anytime soon; maybe in the next 4 months... but when I get closer to actually making a decision, I think I will take it to CarMax and see what their "We'll buy your car even if you don't buy ours!" cash offer looks like.
Old 12-25-2006, 07:02 PM

YUP...they have recently plummeted! I was going to trade mine on the new 4dr Wrangler...but couldnt get more than $11000 trade in value. Mine is relatively basic, but was still disappointed after the great resell values I saw over the summer. Guess that bubble busted a lil too soon for me. At least now I have a better reason to wait for the SS. Car wont depreciate that much more and I have another year of payments to make on it.
Old 12-25-2006, 09:01 PM

I just looked up my resale value for my sally, and if you are using trade-invalues, it has dropped lots, but if you use private party value,it is not as bad. I have not traded in a car since I had to deal with crappy dealers that want only $$$ not satisfied customers. I can most likely get between the 16000 quoted and 17000 for sally. I have found that the quotes on line tend to be lower than real world numbers for me here in Indiana. At the rate imentioned for private party sale, I am very happy with the resale value of my HHR.
Old 12-26-2006, 12:27 AM

It also doesn't help that KBB is still using the 13,000 "average mileage" figure to determine value... and mine is up to 14,141 now... so as far as they're concerned, I have a high-mileage car. Maybe it will look better after their number jumps a bit.
Old 12-26-2006, 08:53 AM

I think you can thank the rental car companies for the drop in HHR values. I've noticed a lot of them showing up on used car lots. Usually dealers buy them through GM auctions extremely cheap. Therefore they are not willing to give high trade in values and that is what is being reflected. GM has reduced the number of vehicles it is selling to rental companies to avoid reducing residual values but they loaded the companies with HHR's and now their biting us all in the butt. I used to trade every two years but I think those days are over. The bad part is they are trying to reduce rebates and that is the only thing that has closed the gap between trade in and purchase price. I know you can sell it privately, but in the past I have done almost as well trading, especailly with a specific dealer that liked my trades.

Quick Reply: Real-world Trade Values