General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Remote Start Time Extension

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 06:17 PM

Remote Start Time Extension

Hey guys, new to this site and have only had my 06 HHR for 2 weeks. One thing I need help with is the remote start. I did a search and didn't run accross my answer so I hope someone can help me out.

The manual says the vehicle will run for 10min once the remote start is activated unless a time extention is done. How is this done? On cold days 10min doesn't do much to warm your car up so it needs to run longer. Not sure if this something a dealership service dept does or if there is something I can do. I have had aftermarket remote start systems in the past and none of them only ran for 10min.

Any ideas?
Old 12-17-2008, 06:57 PM

I believe a dealership has to do it. Aftermarket remote starts can be done for any length of time. The reason being is if you use the remote start to start your vehicle, and have it run for 2 hours. I know in some states truck drivers aren't even allowed to leave the truck running over night. It has something to do with the EPA im sure if no someone please feel free to correct me.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:15 PM

I also heard that the time was set to 10 minutes for safety reasons. If you were to accidentally activate the remote entry while your vehicle was in your garage, you and others would not be affected (die) from carbon monoxide poisoning. Sounds like a good feature to me.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:19 PM
Banned

Every GM vehicle I ever had with the remote start is when it gets close to the 10 min or whatever time GM programed into the car (seems each car is different) you just repeat the procedure for another 10 min. Can only be done once for a total of 20 min. in your case.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:20 PM

You can start it twice by the remote. 20 minutes does it for me. i just have to remember to turn the fan on for the defroster.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:46 PM

You can only start the vehicle twice with the remote (after that, you must reset the system by starting the vehicle with the key). Each cycle is 10 minutes. However, if you press the remote start button again during the first 10 minute cycle, the timer resets to 10 minutes (it DOES NOT add 10 minutes, it resets to 10 minutes). So, if you start the vehicle, let it run 9 minutes, then press the button again, the car will continue to run for another 10 minutes (uninterrupted). This still counts as two cycles, so it will not work a third time.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:04 PM

Ok, now I am understading the extended part...pressing the button durring the first 10min is the time extension. Thanks for clearing that up...still don't like it though. When you work in an office building you can't keep running to the door to keep your car started. I understand the safety part of it but I would still like to have it run for at least up to 20min straight without me having to restart or press the button again.

Thanks, guess my previous systems spoiled me
Old 12-17-2008, 09:06 PM

save some fuel and a bit of the earth at the same time and don't run your car for 20 minutes or more every time you want to drive it. Tough it out and drive a slightly cold car...
Old 12-17-2008, 09:38 PM

why do you need to run it for longer than 10min or 20min at that..
that seems like it would be a awful lot of gas wasted over a weeks
worth of time doing that daily.. i dunno, just dont think i could do that.
i have used mine from time to time, but i only start it 2-3 min before i walk
out the door, i leave it turnd to heater, medium air flow, and head/foot setting.
always seems to knock the edge off the chill.. i dont mind driving for a 5 min n the cold.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:00 PM

I don't think I ever said I used the remote start everyday? I used it for the first time just the other day when it snowed/iced on it. Walked out of my dept at work, up the stairs and to the doors so the car would pick up the signal. Came out not even 15min later to a car no longer running and ice still on the windows. This is why I want it to stay running for a longer period of time. I don't use it to just break the chill, only when it's covered in snow/ice.

Quick Reply: Remote Start Time Extension