General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Researched hitches/Towing Etc.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 11:33 PM

Researched hitches/Towing Etc.

I have spent what seems like days researching this forum form hitches to who's hauled what, and even transmission coolers.

I have decided that our 08 5spd. standard HHR panel 2.2 tiny will be getting hitched shortly. I amy looking at doing some work from state to state. I plan on hauling my 550lbs. Harley and a toolbox in a small uhaul or utility trailer. The reason for the harley is I don't normally ride in 4 wheelers much, also my wife is the primary driver and I would like to keep miles low and cleanliness up. Besides I think the HHR would haul a toolbox better than my Harley would.

Basically here's what I gathered in my research.
#1 HHR panel truck =N ot a real truck hence the 4cycl. (would have liked to have bought one with a 6banger.)
#2 The tow "rating" is about 100lbs.
#3 Transmission cooler not a really needed. Just take your time to get up to speed.
#4 Hidden hitch is not really hidden.

Basically I know the car can handle short or long hauls of weight when being driven like you have a trailer. Meaning let the muscle cars do the racing. I have hauled the Harley and toolbox with a Nissan 1.6 liter 4 cycl. about 750 miles. It was a snail but also a trooper.

Now I am a mechanic, but not much of an electrian. I saw one tread where it sounded like hhr already has a harness?

I know I would be able to hitch it up myself but am wondering how much money I would save doing it myself or haveing uhaul do it for me and save me the head ache?

p.s. any aircraft contractors on this forum? I could always use some friends who know the in's and out's of "hitting the road"

Thanks all! Look forward to hearing replies!

This site makes me feel like we are a big happy HHR family.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:52 PM

I'm sure you already know this, but Chevy doesn't have a towing rating for a manual transmission, because it isn't 'allowed' to tow. before you take a chance on ruining your warranty, I think you oughtta do more research. (but, what do I know? I'm just a working stiff).
Old 12-30-2007, 06:54 AM

http://www.tomshhr.com/index_files/page0003.htm If you read in the HOW TO section, the thread by tomshhr and also clicked his link which is pasted here on the first line, you will notice that the wiring is hooked to the wire harness that goes to the rear lights in the HHR. The HHR does not have a trailer harness already installed like pickup trucks or some SUV's. And as Terry44030 stated, Chevy says not to tow with the manual tranny.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:02 AM

towing

I have a 5spd 2.2 hhr lowering.It has almost 77000 miles on it.I have towed a 5x8 trailer with about 700lbs worth of equipment,at least 30000 miles of the 77000.I have no problem pulling it.I run up and down hills at highway speeds or more with the cruise on.I have never had a problem with my car.The only thing is that at 70000 I started to get a shake in my brakes,that is very common in hhr.

Personnally I rhink that is all the reserch you need.The car can tow a trailer ,I don't care what chevrolet or some of the worry worts on here say.I have the miles and picture to prove it.

Now in other words.I wouldn't put a full dresser harley on a 5x10 trailer behind it.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:37 PM

I agree with everyone's feedback and thanks!

I don't have a full dresser harley. It's a bare bones bobber 1200 sporty. I use it everyday as a work tranport. I built it with the idea of if it doesn't look cool it doesn't need to be on the bike.

Name:  Smaller.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  39.1 KB

As I stated above. My wife's tiny Nissan with it's 1.6 4cyc. 5 speed standard with 130k mile had to huff and puff for a few hundred miles but with no time dead line I think the HHR towing at reasonable speeds is going to be fine. It will only be a few times until this contract MTC yields enough money for a used pickup. I'd say a few months for less than 10k miles.

Thanks for the feedback and I look forward to hear from more of you HHR crazies
Old 12-30-2007, 09:55 PM

Your bobber is sweet!! Your hhr will have no problem pulling that fine machine.I have pinstriped alot of bobbers.I really like yours.I love the 59 caddy taillights and ape hangers.
Old 01-01-2008, 10:18 AM

Trailer

I pulled my VTX 1800 behind my 5-speed HHr--Its way heavy--bike 750+ open trailer--NO PROBLEMS. There was no towing wire harrness on my 2006. Buy a plugin set up--you still have to drill a hole in the spare tire well for the trailer lead but the rest plugs in. I use a curt hitch--its not hidden--but none are as you found out.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:24 AM

There is actually no need to drill a hole in the spare tire well. There are two factory rubber grommets on the back wall of the well that can be used to run wires toward the bumper. They are closed from the factory, all you would need to do is poke a hole through the center and run the wires through!
Old 01-01-2008, 11:40 AM

There is only one hole to enlarge in the frame, the rear hole on the pass side for the hitch.

The wire harness hides behind in the storage compartment. There is a stud with a nut on the driver tail light compt you can put the ground on. no drilling there as the instructions say. The harness is a plug-in item. I hide the plug in the stowage compt when not in use and just run it out the hatch when needed.

As far as towing with the standard, If there is no warranty, who cares.. However, if the dealer determines towing caused a select failure, you will pay out of your own pocket for the repair.

Happy towing..
Old 01-01-2008, 12:55 PM

i was going to install my hitch myself but i found it easier to buy it from uhaul and have them install it for you it should be about 100.00 for the hitch and installation

Quick Reply: Researched hitches/Towing Etc.