General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Rocker Panels vs Running Boards

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 09:58 AM

Rocker Panels vs Running Boards

OK...I hate the running boards that came on my Premiere Edition. I am not a tall person (5' 8"), and I live here in the midwest. If I don't make an effort to swing my leg way out over the running board, I will get dirt on my pants leg. I bought some rockers off of ebay. I want to have them painted and install them in place of my running boards - and store the running boards. Is there anything I need to know about doing this? Any special brackets or such that is of a concern? Thanks for your help.
Old 11-27-2008, 12:18 PM

i wouldnt do it!! leave em on or your rear quarter fenders will look like crud

im jellous, i wish i could of got runnin boards on mine
Old 11-27-2008, 12:31 PM

My wife and I both live in the Midwest and each have a HHR. Neither of us are above 5'7" and we haven't had to swing out to avoid the running board. Actually, being shorter, it has been nice having them to assist in cleaning the top of the car.

In the midwest, you will soon experience the problem of no runiing boards as your rear quarter gets smacked with salt, road debris, etc...Plus you won't even have the protection the Chevy put on the rear door on non-running board HHRs.

But its your HHR, do as you wish.
Old 11-27-2008, 12:36 PM

When I brought My HHR It did not have running board in 2 months of driving in winter it sand blasted my rear fenders I end up having fenders repaint and adding running board Chevy would only paint the fender only once and told me it cause by road salt and sand. I kept my rockers panels for three months and then cut up to throw way because no one wanted them .If you do put rocker panel on be careful taking your boards You will be able to sell them quick lot owners looking for them When I brought my HHR till I put my boards on I had not seen any installed I think improve the looks.On this site there is excellant post with pics on how install running boards if go with rocker panels you could follow it in reverse.

Last edited by Bob B; 11-27-2008 at 03:16 PM.
Old 11-27-2008, 12:38 PM

You stand on yours?! I'm 5'1" and could use the extra step, but I would never think of doing that--to me they are a must have to add to the look (just my opinion people), but see them more as just for show. I'm afraid I'm going to break them if I stand on them

I have mudflaps on the back only (dealer add-on)--so I think that at least would protect the back if they weren't on there.

I think the big challenge is the fact you have a custom color (cappuccino frost I think for that edition?) and may find it hard to get them painted.

@
Old 11-27-2008, 01:55 PM

I tip the scales at 295 and I stand on them all the time to wash the roof!
I had to install them on all three of my HHRs, sand in FL. is all we have here!!!
Old 11-27-2008, 07:14 PM

I'm 5' 8'' on a good day and I don't recall ever hitting my running boards when getting out............but maybe my pants don't get dirty since my HHR doesn't!

Oh yeah, I stand on mine all the time when washing!
Old 11-27-2008, 07:50 PM

I'm 5'5" on a real good day, and never crapped up my pants on the board. Stick with'em. More protection from sandblasting the rear quarters than the rockers provide.
Old 11-28-2008, 04:35 PM

I don't have running boards and have limited damage from debris. The 2006 HHRs had a type of pad installed on the front of the fender. It has a few nicks out of it but it's solid plastic so the color is underneath also. I have no need to spend the money for running boards.
Old 11-28-2008, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by SandyBeach
I don't have running boards and have limited damage from debris. The 2006 HHRs had a type of pad installed on the front of the fender. It has a few nicks out of it but it's solid plastic so the color is underneath also. I have no need to spend the money for running boards.

I going to go out on limb and say they don't salt, sand or cinder your roads that often there?

Quick Reply: Rocker Panels vs Running Boards