General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Roof Rack Capacity?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 10:49 PM

Roof Rack Capacity?

Anyone have any info on what the roof rack will hold? Specifically does anyone have any experience on what it will not hold and the results? My impression is that they are not bolted into any substantial support structure on the car, merely the roof (read THIN) panel and would cause it to bend and warp under the lightest pressure/wind resistance from a roof rack carrier. I'm not looking to carry the world up there but would like to have a small cargo container with 50#'s of luggage or a Kayak on top.
I've seen very few HHR's with roof racks and never seen one carrying anything.

Appreciate the response!

Jim
Old 09-16-2009, 12:51 AM
Platinum Member

I carried a hdpe kayak without difficulty. Weight was probably a total of 50# for about 20 miles. Only did it once though...helping out a friend.

I believe your Owners Manual indicates something like 150# total. Remember to distribute the weight well.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:51 PM

We took my wife 06 2LT to Colorado for 10 days. Had a rooftop luggage carrier on it for 10 days straight. Had maybe 75lbs up there plus 30-40 for the carrier. Highway speeds of 75 - had no problems.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:43 PM

Why doesn't the rack have cross-bars? Man would they be handy.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:02 PM

Cross rails are an accessory that the dealers will be happy to sell. See Web Site.

Roof Rack Cross Rail Package

These stylish, integrated cross rails attach to the factory side rails to add function to your vehicle by utilizing the industry standard T-slot attachment system. One set includes two black rails, available with bright chrome, pearl nickel or black endcaps to compliment your vehicles exterior accents
Old 09-16-2009, 08:03 PM

I installed my factory rails on "Elvis". Yes, they are installed through fairly thin sheet metal. However, the rails are between a roof rib and the edge, both of which strengthen things greatly. The rear attachments are at a double-walled area. The big plus is that the "foot" on each end of the rail is pretty big in area, spreading the load out a lot. I think the rails will do just fine. Give them a try. God Bless, Marc
Old 09-16-2009, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
I carried a hdpe kayak without difficulty. Weight was probably a total of 50# for about 20 miles. Only did it once though...helping out a friend.

I believe your Owners Manual indicates something like 150# total. Remember to distribute the weight well.
Did you attach a bow line to the Kayak? What was your attach point on the HHR? Once upon a time I remember we could tie off to a metal bumper. 'Tis no longer the case...

Jim
Old 09-16-2009, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Marcruger
I installed my factory rails on "Elvis". Yes, they are installed through fairly thin sheet metal. However, the rails are between a roof rib and the edge, both of which strengthen things greatly. The rear attachments are at a double-walled area. The big plus is that the "foot" on each end of the rail is pretty big in area, spreading the load out a lot. I think the rails will do just fine. Give them a try. God Bless, Marc
I have factory rails that were installed by a dealer. Either they didn't do it right or there seems to be a whole lotta flex by just grabbing the bar and wiggling it around. Hence why I posted the question.

Jim
Old 09-17-2009, 12:38 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Jeda13
Did you attach a bow line to the Kayak? What was your attach point on the HHR? Once upon a time I remember we could tie off to a metal bumper. 'Tis no longer the case...

Jim

No, we positioned it more to the rear of the "rack" and lashed it down tightly in the front to prevent it from raising in the wind.

Since I didn't have the cross rails, we used a couple of paddles to simulate the xrails.....and tied those down tightly as well. One of the guys is an "accomplished" knot tier.....seemed to know what he was doing because I had no problem driving at about 50 MPH. Slower initially
Old 07-02-2010, 01:26 PM

I just bought an HHR with roof rails. Initially this was to be for my boat builder. Got a great deal, but ended up giving it instead to my mother. The reason was the weak roof rail. It flexed like crazy. My Taurus, Flex, Suburban, Escape, ... racks were nice and solid and the whole car moved when the rack was moved. Not so with the HHR.
As to bow lines, it is easy to put a webbing loop such as a motorcycle tie down loop http://store.rampconnection.com/product.php?xProd=6896 attached to a support under the hood to use as bow line tie downs. Absolutely an essential when using a weak rail system to use with kayaks.
The truth is that other than that significant weakness, the LS that I got for my mother is great. Got the $4000 LS model incentive, the $1000 Saturn owner incentive and $500 GM Supplier discounts and ended up with the HHR for just over $15K.
David

Quick Reply: Roof Rack Capacity?