General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Running Boards....

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 10:23 AM

Running Boards....

Ok Gentlemen, I want running boards for my PURPLE HHR, the dealer wants like $400.00....is this a good price? Or where else can I purchase these. I wanted chrome ones but the dealer says that they can not find them for the HHR, they can only find them in the color of the car and they are made of fiberglass. So can you guys help me out here??????
Old 11-14-2005, 10:32 AM

Compared to my dealer, who wanted about $600 for the boards and an additional $200 in labor to install (because the body shop was unsure of how to put them on; they haven't installed a set yet --ps i didnt get them what a f-ing rip off.) that sounds like a good deal. If you want something other than the stock runningboards, i would suggest waiting to see what comes out early 2006 on the aftermarket and gm parts. give the car a little more time to marinate so the aftermarket guys can catch up.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:47 AM
Banned

Is the $400 the installed price or is it just for the running boards alone? If the $400 includes labor it is a great deal because I paid more than that for them as an option. If you had optioned them on your HHR it would cost $445 which includes installation. See how much they want to charge you for labor if you don't plan on installing them yourself. If they want more than you are willing to pay look around at some local body shops. I have not seen chrome running boards but I did see billet inserts on the running boards of a HHR in some SEMA pictures. I don't think we'll ever see just straight chrome running boards but will see chrome used to accent the running boards.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:05 PM

Hi Techno! I highly reccomend going with the Dealer running boards - they are a perfect fit and look great:

This will also ensure you are getting a color that closely matches your HHR.
I would try to get the Dealer to install them for $445 (including parts), as this is what the option costs. (*TIP: Don't let them try to get a bunch of labor $$ out of you; the boards only take about 30-minutes to install - I waited while the dealer installed mine as the car had just arrived.)

While not very functional (you don't need to step on them), I think the running boards really tie in the look of the HHR - even making it look a bit lower. I know you are going for the "gangtser" look, and running boards will definitely add some of that!

Best of luck!
Old 11-14-2005, 12:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SoCalHHR
While not very functional (you don't need to step on them)
I use them to clean the center of my roof. I am 5'7" so needless to say i have to stretch to get to the center of my roof while standing next to my HHR. To clean the roof I step up on the running board grab the roof rail with one hand and clean with the other. I know they can stand at least 180 pounds of man because I put my full weight on them.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:36 PM

I LOVE YOU GUYS!!!! LOL....Hubby said they were not going to be good thing being that they were made of Fiberglass, but I am only 5'4 so I would need to use them to clean the top also! That is why I wanted the chrome ones, but I guess I could deal with them being fiberglass if a man can stand on them I should be able to also! I am not really sure about the labor $$, I have an inside on the parts, (I teach the guys daughter baton twirling, hehe) he said that he would give me his discount....I will have to check into that, but it seems to be a good price. Thanks for the info!!!!
Old 11-16-2005, 02:30 PM

Can you post pictures after the install?
Old 11-16-2005, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by SIHHR
Can you post pictures after the install?

sure thing! The dealer said that they would not be in for 3-4 months, but he did order them today, and I picked up the Rubber floor mats & my rear splash gaurds! I LOVE MY FLOORMATS! And he said what you guys already told me that anyone can install the running boards!