General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Shopping for a car

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 11:56 AM

Shopping for a car

hello,
I am looking to buy a new car this year. I am looking for something with fuel economy and good size. One thing i am also looking at is the overall acceleration and the ability to maintain good highway speeds. Does anyone have any issues with bottoming out? I am in college and the streets here have drainage areas that make most cars such as a Toyota and other little cars bottom out.
The other Cars i am looking at are
Jeep Patriot.
VW Rabbit

Any other input and thoughts will be great.

Thank you
Old 01-21-2008, 12:01 PM

Haven't had any bottoming out with my HHR. I expect you will get positive feedback considering what this forum is all about.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:04 PM

ya i know i just want to see what everyone thinks and stuff how old is everyone here that drives it i am 19.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:08 PM

I expect drivers ages will vary from 16 to 85.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:09 PM

The HHR is the "Total" Package!!

The title says it all.......My HHR is a 2006 2LT with 7,000 miles. I thought I would NEVER give up my Firebird for another vehicle. I was DEAD WRONG!!

All I can say is test drive one of these, and your search may be over!!
Old 01-21-2008, 12:10 PM

I havent had any bottoming out issues in my HHR.

good gas mileage: check
plenty of interior space for cargo: check
rear seat legroom: NOPE
ability to maintain speed on freeway: check
reasonable "bang for buck": check

you get alot of 'car/van/compact SUV/cross-over coolness' in the HHR for the price.

I'd say...go drive a few. Look at the 2.2 and the 2.4 and different tranny options out there...as well as the exterior/interior options/toys...

I found that most used one run between $13k and $17k in my area, depending on options/model/mileage.

I have a full size 95 Suburban, and two luxury sport coupes...and my 06 HHR 2LT....the HHR covers all my true needs...enough room for gear, enough pick-up for acceleration, enough comfort for my long commute, and amazing fuel mileage(30+ mpg)

I havent really driven my other toy since I bought my HHR until this past weekend. My 94 Mark VIII is a true sport coupe with suspension modifications, plenty of HP, and a sound system that can cause headaches...and yet, even though I have had the sport coupe for 4 1/2 years, and it was my true passion.....I missed my HHR...
Old 01-21-2008, 12:18 PM

Welcome. The Jeep Patriot, I was considering one until I found out it only had a 13 gal gas tank and then sat in one, very hard uncomfortable seats. Wife got the Jeep Compass, same interior. Jeep's engine is noisy compared to the HHR and mpg are in the same ball park. Style-- go with the HHR. Like some members will say, rent one for a wk and see what it is like.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:52 PM

Beware of the Jeep Patriot, Jeep is made in Toledo and I work at the Jeep plant from time to time. Everybody I talked to was upset about their gas mileage from their Patriot. I know a guy that owns the Jeep Liberty and says he gets 16 mpg.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:09 PM

Please stay away from the Jeep. My neighbor has one and hates it. The mileage is terrible. He has had many problems with it.

Check out consumer reports on the Jeep. It has a lot of problems.

VW Rabbits are fun cars, but they take some maintenance.

A Toyota Corolla should not "bottom out" and you will get 41 mpg on the freeway.

The HHR is a great car, but YOU need to test drive it and see how you "feel" in the car. I rented a LS 2.2L for a week. It sold me. I then went out and bought a 2LT with the 2.4 engine. After breaking in the HHR (1,000 miles) it has a lot of acceleration and the mileage on the freeway is around 32, BUT the mileage around town is between 20 to 24 depending on stop and go situations.

Ifyou are truly worried about ground clearance, consider a Honda CRV.

Peace,

MWG2
Old 01-21-2008, 10:35 PM

im not too worried i just dont want to bottom out every time. if i go slow and im fine that is good. i just dont want to have to take angles or anything. i have never heard that there were a lot of problems with the patriot. what problems have you heard?

Quick Reply: Shopping for a car