General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Six months - and a couple of questions....

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 09:38 PM

Six months - and a couple of questions....

Well, I have owned - and really liked- my "07 2LT for six months now. Love the little thing, more than I thought I would. Always "look back" when I walk away, which is for me the test as to whether I like the car or not. It is my 58th car, so I have some experience with that.

Amid all the "like", I do in fact have two things that I need some advice upon.

1. I am somewhat disappointed with the fuel mileage. ( 2.4 auto with 167,000 miles). Always use Tier 1 gas. Mobil 1 in the sump, Valvoline synthetic in the tranny. 72 year old driver sympathetic to the machinery. New air filter. 35 psi in the tires, which are standard size. Over the last 3000 miles of mixed driving my average is 23.6. Not terrible, but I thought that it would be better, especially since our other car, a 2015 Subaru Forester with 70k miles, CVT, AWD and a 2.5 engine with virtually identical advertised power in a much bigger and heavier car, averaged 30.1 over the last 3000 miles of identical use.

Am I expecting too much to expect better on the HHR, or should I be looking out for something?

2. I want to improve the exterior lighting. Does anyone have testimony to offer of better replacement lamps for the fog lights and reversing lights? I have replaced the headlight lamps with Silverstars to great effect but I find the fog lights and - especially - the reversing lights to be very weak. Any real-experience information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, folks. This forum is great!
Old 12-27-2018, 10:13 AM
Administrator

For reverse lamps, I installed 921 LED bulbs, I also installed them in the high brake lights

https://www.google.ca/search?q=921+l...4G40XS9IdcbOM:

I don’t have fog lights but these H11 LED bulbs from OSLamp should brighten things up!

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/32879341394.html

They are 4 sided , very bright!

Last edited by Oldblue; 12-27-2018 at 10:19 AM. Reason: House keeping
Old 12-27-2018, 05:09 PM

Thanks, Blue. I did in fact procure a set of Sylvania "Zevo" Super Bright LED #921 lamps for the reversing lights and the make a subatantial difference. I appreciate your passing along the data on the OSLAMP fog light lamps. Is the another name for Osram? I confess to preferring "name brand" lamps, I guedss that is the result of having spent over 50 years specifying building lighting.
Old 12-27-2018, 09:11 PM
Administrator

OSLamps are a different company but could be the same supplier.
Old 12-31-2018, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by OldSwede
Well, I have owned - and really liked- my "07 2LT for six months now. Love the little thing, more than I thought I would. Always "look back" when I walk away, which is for me the test as to whether I like the car or not. It is my 58th car, so I have some experience with that.

Amid all the "like", I do in fact have two things that I need some advice upon.

1. I am somewhat disappointed with the fuel mileage. ( 2.4 auto with 167,000 miles). Always use Tier 1 gas. Mobil 1 in the sump, Valvoline synthetic in the tranny. 72 year old driver sympathetic to the machinery. New air filter. 35 psi in the tires, which are standard size. Over the last 3000 miles of mixed driving my average is 23.6. Not terrible, but I thought that it would be better, especially since our other car, a 2015 Subaru Forester with 70k miles, CVT, AWD and a 2.5 engine with virtually identical advertised power in a much bigger and heavier car, averaged 30.1 over the last 3000 miles of identical use.

Am I expecting too much to expect better on the HHR, or should I be looking out for something?

2. I want to improve the exterior lighting. Does anyone have testimony to offer of better replacement lamps for the fog lights and reversing lights? I have replaced the headlight lamps with Silverstars to great effect but I find the fog lights and - especially - the reversing lights to be very weak. Any real-experience information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, folks. This forum is great!
I got a kick out of all the detail that you went into on Question #1. But you missed the most important detail ... that is how fast are you driving. My 2008 HHR 2.2L gets over 32 mpg driving on the highway doing 65mph. He barely gets 27 mpg when I drive 75 mph. So when you say you get 23.6 mpg are we talking driving in the city or highway? The HHR was advertised " Up to 22 city / 32 highway "
Old 01-01-2019, 04:07 AM

Sorry, I thought I had that covered when I said "mixed" but I see that I did not. My "average" week of driving includes about 25% each at 25-30 mph, 30-35 mph, 50 mph and 70 mph. I use the cruise a lot, especially at 50 and 70. I seldom speed, both out of respect for the miles on the old gal and the miles on me. The best tank I ever got was a full day of low-traffic backroad driving at about 40-55 mph. I got 27 mpg and have never seen anything close to that since. I left my register "on" over the last three tankfulls and it says 21.9 right now.
Old 01-01-2019, 10:41 AM

That is poor fuel economy. I average just under 25. I don't abuse the car, but I'm not gentle either. 10 miles city driving, 20 highway is my commute. This is an SS.

You should think about the hubs, are they worn out. The brakes, are they dragging. Are the tires properly inflated. These things will bring your mileage down.

I'm sure you know all this, but sometimes the brain will focus only on the engine.

How much fuel is used warming up on a cold Michigan morning? Are you leaking fuel from a rusted fuel line?
Old 01-01-2019, 12:29 PM

At 167,000 miles could the intake valves coked up enough to hinder your MPG ? When I had my first HHR, which I bought brand new, I would get 33 MPG on the open road. It was a 2010 LS.
Old 01-01-2019, 01:47 PM

Tires are well inflated, to the specs shown on the door jamb. I will get it off the ground to check the hub bearings and for brake drag. No fuel leaks. Very little fuel used in warm up because I have (don't hate me) heated garage. (I know, I know, it is a luxury. But, I need the heat to keep the fluorescent lights working. And the hot and cold running water to the sink working. And the drain open.) Jealous? Don't be. I would trade it all away to not be 72 with arthritis, AFIB, one kidney and bad lungs.
Old 01-01-2019, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Cat Man HHR
At 167,000 miles could the intake valves coked up enough to hinder your MPG ? When I had my first HHR, which I bought brand new, I would get 33 MPG on the open road. It was a 2010 LS.
I will do a compression test. Are 2.4s notably less fuel efficient than 2.2s?

Quick Reply: Six months - and a couple of questions....