General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Snow driving?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 02:37 AM

Snow driving?

so ive never been in snow in my life. nor do i know how to drive in it.

although i was wondering

im going to be going to chicago the first week of january and im wondering if there anything i need to do to my car to prepare for that kind of cold weather? ill be in my hhr

you have to understand this. i live in texas. simple as that, never seen snow, dont know what if theres anything i might need to do to the car, my tires arent so good, okay well there alright, but for sure not snow tires

give me tips please
Old 11-21-2009, 02:42 AM

My advice would be if you've never even seen snow do not under any circumstance attempt to drive in it, unless you want to die. But I'm sure that isn't what you're wanting to hear. I've just seen far too many Texas and California plates on wrecked cars in very little snow.
Old 11-21-2009, 02:47 AM

lol yeeeeeeah. i mean i know how to handle a car. all im going to do when i get there is not drive my car at all, ill leave it up to someone who knows how to drive in snow, but any other tips? lol

like do i need certain fluids, anyway to make sure my car dont freeze up and not want to start
Old 11-21-2009, 05:44 AM
jx3

Originally Posted by GrotesqueFetus6
like do i need certain fluids, anyway to make sure my car dont freeze up and not want to start
Make sure you change your windshield washer fluid to one that's got anti freeze! Wish I would've thought of doing this when I had my wife's Infinity when I was in Pittsburg back in January.

Anti freeze windshield washer
Old 11-21-2009, 07:15 AM

$16.74/gallon?

$9/6 gallons http://automotive.hardwarestore.com/...id-284299.aspx

Anything more than $2.00 per gallon is too much for -20, $3.00 per gallon for -30

Autozone to Aubuchon - It'll usually cost you more at gas stations

And don't pay more than $10 for a Knitted Willy Warmer http://www.find-me-a-gift.co.uk/knit...ly-warmer.html or you're getting hosed
Old 11-21-2009, 04:47 PM

Welcome to Freezing your tail off!! IF you need to drive in the Snow, Make sure your tire's are decent and correct Air Pressure,change your wipe fluid to Something -30. Increase Stopping Distance and When starting from a Dead Stop Easy on the Gas or you will just spin your tire's through the intersection. Don't try to do anything to fast.
Old 11-21-2009, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb
My advice would be if you've never even seen snow do not under any circumstance attempt to drive in it, unless you want to die. But I'm sure that isn't what you're wanting to hear. I've just seen far too many Texas and California plates on wrecked cars in very little snow.
Trust me, in Chicago There are just as many moron's that have lived here for 20+years and still end up in the Ditch like its there first snow Storm. All because there in a Hurry.
Old 11-21-2009, 06:15 PM

With front wheel drive it's not that bad, just drive as conditions warrant. I would replace front tires, change oil and have your battery checked as cold conditions will leave you stranded. Have a good trip.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:06 PM

Make sure you replace the southern air in your tires with northern air to improve traction.

Yes, Take your time.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:34 PM

Winter driving tips...

The best advice I could possibly give you would be to wait until it snows, and then have someone take you to an empty mall parking lot and then have you practice driving around. Try smashing on the brakes to see what happens, and practice counter steering to correct a slide, and practice different methods of taking off from a dead stop. You'll learn a lot with just a little bit of practice.

Quick Reply: Snow driving?