General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Somehow, Chevy knows my mileage (scary)

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 11:43 AM
alg

Somehow, Chevy knows my mileage (scary)

Yesterday I got something in the mail from Chevy about our 2007 HHR. It stated my service schedule and history is now online at idriveonline.com. The mailer provided a login and password.

When I logged in, there was info about our next service (9000 mi), and the one we had when the brakes went bad.

But, on the screen was something that made me very nervous - it showed our HHR's mileage as it was the day before.

When we took the car in for the brakes, we had 67xx miles on it. The service record matched that value exactly. This was on 1Feb.

But the web site shows our mileage as 8133, and this *is* what it was after we got home on Monday evening. (I know because we have an exact 40mi commute and the mileage on Tues evening was 8173).

WE DO NOT HAVE ONSTAR. We do not have a hands-free phone. We have not taken the car ANYWHERE other than the one service at 67xx miles.

How can they know the mileage? Could they have guessed from the mileage and time since purchase based on the service visit?

I realize this is just the car's mileage, but if ANYTHING is being transmitted from our HHR, I expect to know and know why.

Do any of you find this a little scary?
Old 03-08-2007, 11:46 AM
jx3

Ummm....... .....might not be what you're looking for, but it's all I got right now.

Sorry can't be of any help to you.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:47 AM

Name:  af67ea7d.gif
Views: 37
Size:  4.6 KB to the site!!
Old 03-08-2007, 11:58 AM

Extrapolated Data

They can pretty much figure your miles based on what it was when you brought it in for service and extrapolate based on that. I have an SSR that does not see daily service and sits in the garage all winter. They show thousands of miles that it doesn't have. Bottom line...don't worry about it...at least not right now. If you had OnStar could be a different story.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:58 AM

[Could they have guessed from the mileage and time since purchase based on the service visit?]
yes thats all it really is, a guess. If you would have made any detours on your way home the mileages would be differant. By the way On Star does not "track" you unless you "ping" the sytem ect. Make an advasive (sorry about spelling) movment or hit the button.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:08 PM

Might it just have been a coincidence, it may be that they have some sort of mileage calculator which uses some sort of average which just happened to match exactly to your mileage on that date. If it's consistantly the same then it might, somehow, be pulling data from the vehicle but I wouldn't think that to be the case. But who knows, we live in a world full of technology.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by alg
Yesterday I got something in the mail from Chevy about our 2007 HHR. It stated my service schedule and history is now online at idriveonline.com. The mailer provided a login and password.

When I logged in, there was info about our next service (9000 mi), and the one we had when the brakes went bad.

But, on the screen was something that made me very nervous - it showed our HHR's mileage as it was the day before.

When we took the car in for the brakes, we had 67xx miles on it. The service record matched that value exactly. This was on 1Feb.

But the web site shows our mileage as 8133, and this *is* what it was after we got home on Monday evening. (I know because we have an exact 40mi commute and the mileage on Tues evening was 8173).

WE DO NOT HAVE ONSTAR. We do not have a hands-free phone. We have not taken the car ANYWHERE other than the one service at 67xx miles.

How can they know the mileage? Could they have guessed from the mileage and time since purchase based on the service visit?

I realize this is just the car's mileage, but if ANYTHING is being transmitted from our HHR, I expect to know and know why.

Do any of you find this a little scary?
While the salesman was distracting you, the sales manager inserted a chip into the back of your brain. Now Chevy knows everything..................

Sorry I just couldn't help myself
Old 03-08-2007, 03:26 PM

I wanted to know more and here is you go, well kinda, no clue how they got the miliage correct but this was found in the help section

3. Are you new to idriveonline.com?

In order to become a registered user of idriveonline.com, you must first visit one of our participating automotive dealers to obtain a username and password.

My guess where you got your car serviced is how they got your info
Old 03-08-2007, 06:37 PM

Remember the book 1984? Big Brother is watching you!

They'd never be able to guess my mileage. It varies widely by how often I need to make a trip to my son's college. I've only put a couple hundred miles on it since Jan 8th. However, I drove it about 2,600 miles in December. If they get mine right, you'll know for sure there's some device installed sending data to them.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by SandyBeach
Big Brother is watching you!...you'll know for sure there's some device installed sending data to them.

I think its called On-Star

Quick Reply: Somehow, Chevy knows my mileage (scary)