General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Spare Tire & Jack

Old 09-17-2012, 09:03 PM

Spare Tire & Jack

I noticed that my just purchased, used HHR LS had no jack/spare tire or the sealant/air plus air pump. After reading several internet posts, I realized all the problems with the sealant/air plus air pump approach so discarded it as a possible solution.

I asked the used car dealer for help, but he only said that I should purchase a spare tire and jack on eBay. Well, they arrived the other day from the two separate sellers.

My question is that this is a very small sizzors jack made in China, which the seller said will also work on Cobalt, etc. Being that the HHR is much heavier than the Cobalt, I am concerned if this jack will be able to support the SUV without collapsing. Does someone either know if this jack will work/that the HHR actually uses the same jack as the Cobalt? Does someone have a photo of the jack that comes with the HHR?

Thanks!
Old 09-17-2012, 09:25 PM

The jack should be fine. Just don't use it to work under the car. Buy some jack stands if you need to have the car up for long periods of time. But the jack should be fine. The HHR is heavier than the cobalt but it shouldn't be enough to collapse your jack. Doulble check the jack specifications.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:05 AM
Premium Member

I take mine's to the guy with a lift.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:31 AM
Rest In Peace

Sounds like you really need to Learn how to buy a car BEFORE going out and buying one.

When you were Looking at it Before the dealer had your Money, they would have scrambled to find a spare tire and correct jack, did you get the lug wrench?

As I am looking at a car I always check for the things like spare tire, owners manual, second key and second key fob that somehow seem to disappear.

I INSIST on those items and anything else I want, or I walk away and they Don't get my money.

Selling a car withour a spare or 2 keys with 2 remotes is BS.

They always say "only one key and remote" And my reply is always, "well you better get your a** in gear then and get a second one if you want to sell me this car."

When they realize you are Serious about it and Won't take their BS they scramble to get whatever the cars Missing.

Seems people are always so intimidated by car dealers, it's Your Money folks, Intimidate THEM!

Old 09-18-2012, 06:36 AM

Thanks for all the good advice. You are right, I need to be more demanding when buying a car. I guess I just keep changing cars every couple of years, so I don't mind hunting down a few missing items. I at least insist on two keys, or it is no deal. I was tired of used car dealers only providing one key and key fob, then charging outrageously for them and programming.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:44 AM
Platinum Member

A jack bought off ebay,well no telling what it's for.
If you need a specific jack and/or spare, best bet is to get one from a salvage yard. That way you can get one that came from a HHR.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:15 PM

I just found that indeed my HHR does have a spare tire and jack. The former owner, car dealer and his mechanic said it did not have a spare or jack. The build sheet shows a delete code for the spare tire. Now I have two of each, since I ordered replacements on eBay. Anyhow, I asked my friend to put them up for sale again on eBay. Boy - Do I feel stupid! I guess that I did not quickly realize that there was a subcompartment in the trunk that I initially missed.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:55 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Ni keHerc
I just found that indeed my HHR does have a spare tire and jack. I guess that I did not quickly realize that there was a subcompartment in the trunk that I initially missed.
Live & learn..Battery is in there also (NOT under the hood).. Now don't be looking for a dipstick for the auto tranny..

Read your owners manual, loads of info in there that helps a lot..