General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Spoiler Airflow?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 11:23 AM

Spoiler Airflow?

Quick question here.

My 2LT did not come with any kind of spoiler... and I really like the smooth clean look.

However, I can't stand how dirty the back hatch gets. Airflow goes over the top of the vehicle and just dumps right down the back, leaving all kinds of nasty black dirt covering the hatch.

Do either of the spoilers available help with this problem?

After a few days of driving the car still looks pretty clean, until you get to the back. Plus, with no rear outside door handle when passengers go to get something out of the back they always touch the paint when closing the door... and all that dirt leaves scratches.

Any advice or experiences from owners of vehicles with spoilers is appreciated!
Old 10-05-2009, 11:39 AM

To answer your question, no. Both of the spoilers are for looks only. They serve no function.

My wifes MPV has one and it get just as dirty as mine.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:54 PM
jx3

Originally Posted by RaineMan
Airflow goes over the top of the vehicle and just dumps right down the back, leaving all kinds of nasty black dirt covering the hatch.

The actual problem is the air is not flowing down the rear of the HHR, allowing a vortex to form from under the HHR, thus all the dirt and dust that is kicked up winds up on the back of the HHR.

What is needed is a wind deflector that will force air down the back to help keep it clean. Lunds' website had one listed for the HHR, but I tried to purchase one, and was informed that it was no longer being produced.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by RaineMan
Quick question here.

My 2LT did not come with any kind of spoiler... and I really like the smooth clean look.

However, I can't stand how dirty the back hatch gets. Airflow goes over the top of the vehicle and just dumps right down the back, leaving all kinds of nasty black dirt covering the hatch.

After a few days of driving the car still looks pretty clean, until you get to the back. Plus, with no rear outside door handle when passengers go to get something out of the back they always touch the paint when closing the door... and all that dirt leaves scratches.

Any advice or experiences from owners of vehicles with spoilers is appreciated!
I have had both an 06 with no spoiler and currently have an 09 SS with spolier, and no the spoiler does nto do anything to help with keeping the back clean, I have considered mudflaps or something, it seems to be coming from the tire area. But they dont make any for the ss yet.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:44 PM

The stock molded flaps do not keep the back clean and they can be used on the SS.

If anything I would think the SS spoiler would just make the wash from under the HHR to be worse..

If you want to stop it you need a spoiler that catches the air and directs it down the rear of the vehicle like an old station wagon. They are neither good looking nor good for air drag for MPG but you would have a cleaner window.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:00 PM
XXL

Originally Posted by solman98
To answer your question, no. Both of the spoilers are for looks only. They serve no function.
I disagree. There is a definite redirection of air on the underside of the spoiler, which, in part, helps keep the back glass clean(er).
Old 10-05-2009, 03:25 PM

My 06 did not have a spoiler. Window got dirty. added hoop type, a littler better but not much. lowered hoop spoiler. back to dirty. Replased hoop type with premium spoiler. Now back with lowered hoop type just for looks Air comes up from under the car !!!
Old 10-05-2009, 03:54 PM

Any car/van with a rear hatch and design shape of ours WILL get dirty.... I absolutely hate it, but it has to happen. That's the same as why the backs of semis are dirty, and why minivans, SUVs, and our little HHR's have windshield wipers back there... Wish it didn't have to be... I mean, the tailgate on trucks don't get dirty...
Old 10-05-2009, 04:20 PM

Well I have had HHR's without a spoiler and the SS spoiler and there was no differance. They both got the same amount of dirt on the rear.

It is not a spoiler you want but a wind deflector to deflect air off the roof to blow down the back side to help clear off the rear window as they did on wagons of the past and even the old K 5 Blazer.

Today the last thing they want is a deflector on cars to create drag so they install the rear wiper.

Most cars to day the factory spoilers are cosmetic. If they do function they only help in light air flow or retract like they do on the 911.

General rule is if you spend a lot of time cleaning a car up for a lower drag count you will not put anything on that will hinder it much if at all.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:42 PM
ecl

I added the hoop style and the rear gets dirty than it did before.

Quick Reply: Spoiler Airflow?