General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Squeaky brakes and a "new" fix

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 07:41 AM

Squeaky brakes and a "new" fix

I did a search and couldn't find anything on this, so here goes...

My rear brakes started squeaking during light braking all the time. This was around 3000 miles (it's an '07). I now have 5900 miles, and they are still squeaking, after having had the drums turned once.

I have read or heard that they squeak due to the semi-metallic shoes they use.

I took my car in and got a voicemail saying that they are going to try a new type of shoe and that they are waiting on some new hardware to go with them; it will be a week before the parts for the shoes come in.

1.) Has anyone been through this?

2.) I am wondering why it would take a week to get the parts? That seems long, unless the supplier hasn't actually made the parts yet.

I will update this thread as I get more info.

Mark
Old 09-20-2007, 07:50 AM

Parts can sometime take a week or so to arrive. Did they say what type of shoes they were putting on? Organic? Ceramic? Not sure what all is out there for the shoes. But the materials are same for the most part for all cars. Semi Metallic is the most common these days. They can be noisy, but usually not.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:19 AM

[QUOTE=solman98;197664] Did they say what type of shoes they were putting on? Organic? Ceramic? Not sure what all is out there for the shoes. QUOTE]

well obiously solman, we got the crapatic ones huh?

j/k!
Old 09-27-2007, 03:19 AM

Funny my dealer insists that my squeaky brakes are the dust from my brake pads. They clean them off when they change my oil and they quit for about 2 months.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Seeburg220
I did a search and couldn't find anything on this, so here goes...

My rear brakes started squeaking during light braking all the time. This was around 3000 miles (it's an '07). I now have 5900 miles, and they are still squeaking, after having had the drums turned once.

I have read or heard that they squeak due to the semi-metallic shoes they use.

I took my car in and got a voicemail saying that they are going to try a new type of shoe and that they are waiting on some new hardware to go with them; it will be a week before the parts for the shoes come in.

1.) Has anyone been through this?

2.) I am wondering why it would take a week to get the parts? That seems long, unless the supplier hasn't actually made the parts yet.

I will update this thread as I get more info.

Mark

An update? In the other thread a week or so ago you said that you haven't gotten to see dealer yet..just wondering if any more news

Gosoe
Old 12-15-2007, 02:12 PM
Founding Member

I am not sure what type of new shoes the dealer is getting. I searched the GM technical bulletins and there are none that address replacing the shoes with a new type for noises. But they may have opened a technical case with the engineers and they may be sending the parts to the dealership, which would explain the one week of time to get them. I would like to know the part number if they charge a brake shoe on the invoice. If they replace the shoes and they are not on the invoice, then they may have come from TAC (technical assistance center).
Old 12-18-2007, 09:48 AM

Sorry, no update as of yet. The mystery part they were talking about, didn't make me think it was a new type of shoe (ie organic). I was under the impression that it was a re-designed brake component - what I don't know.

Lately, I haven't noticed the squeaking as much. I won't take it back in, until it starts squeaking bad again. That may be a climatic thing, so it may be Spring when/if it starts up again.

Mark
Old 01-03-2008, 07:42 PM

Update at 10,000 miles:

The rear drums continued to squeak, and then the front rotors were warped again. So, I took it in for the 3rd time for the same issue.

They replaced the rear brakes shoes and installed new springs, noting that the old ones were weak (weak springs on a new car?). They said the shoes had accumulated material (ie dust) causing the squeaking. They turned the drums and the rotors for the second time. Svc.Adv. said it would be the last time, which I responded "they would have to be replaced as per TSB, right?" He said it would be up to the manager. Ya, right. I bought the car there and it's under warranty. If it does get warped again, they better replace them.

If that wasn't enough to start annoying me (3x for one fix), I drove it home from the dealer tonight, and it started making this metal to metal sound, when the brakes were applied (left front). I called them and told them I was bringing it back in...I left, but got a block from my house and it sounded like the car was coming apart (it was).

I limped home, put a jack up under it, took the left front wheel off and discovered two things: 1) the lug nuts were barely more than finger tight. 2) the brake caliper was missing one of its mounting bolts, causing the caliper to ride down onto the rotor; hence the metal to metal sound....

Okay, so I'm fairly tolerant with people and machines. People make mistakes; I'm not perfect... BUT, to leave off a critical bolt AND not tighten the lug nuts... That's just sloppy, that's not an accident or a goof. They're coming to tow it from my house tonight.

Aside from the human error toinght, I'm really wondering about GM and brakes. I work on my own cars -except when they're under warranty like the HHR... I just spent about $400 on new brakes for my Chevy Silverado: warped rotors. I went ahead and bought 4 new rotors and new pads and e-brake shoes. It seems rotors are not their strong points. Maybe other manufacturers are the same, I don't know. I owned a Pontiac before with the same problem: warped rotors. Perhaps they ought to find a better material and supplier.

Ugh...
Old 01-03-2008, 08:19 PM

I'd say check out a new dealership, mine fixed my brake problem the first time out and that was like 15,000 miles ago.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:13 PM

i have less than 3000 miles on my 07 hhr and have the same problem.
hoping it would leave me alone. but has not so thanks for all the post on crapy brakes. will see what my dealer will do to mine. after all bumper to bumper. anyway any new style auto has it's kinks it is the price we pay for style. have to be the ones with the new HHr.

disturbedrides.com

Quick Reply: Squeaky brakes and a "new" fix