General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Stereo Woes

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 09:01 PM

Stereo Woes

I have a 2009 LT1. It was bought with a locked anti theft radio already installed. Im curious to know if i can just replace it with an after market stereo to avoid the hassle of getting my current one unlocked by a dealer. If an after market is possible, does anyone know what stereo would be compatible with my car, and would i need adapters to attach to make the system accept the new stereo. I really need my music
Old 01-31-2018, 09:54 PM

Yes. Crutchfield is a good source.
Old 02-01-2018, 07:04 AM
Administrator

Tons of info in the search box for stereo installs over the years, and Crutchfield has an amazing site to guide you to everything you need.
Old 02-01-2018, 06:46 PM

[QUOTE=Oldblue;837648]Tons of info in the search box for stereo installs over the years, and Crutchfield has an amazing site to guide you to everything you need.[/​​​​​​

Thank you. Checked on Crutchfields website. Ordered a new stereo. The site was unbelievable. Wish i had known about it sooner.
Old 02-02-2018, 07:56 AM
Administrator

I wish I had the cash flow for some really nice touch screen HU with nav and Bluetooth, but my optional Panasonic seven speaker OEM system works like new, I’ll have to wait till something stops working to justify the expense, that’s what the bean counter told me!
Y’all know her as Sweetie!
Old 02-02-2018, 08:11 AM

Cash flow

Originally Posted by Oldblue
I wish I had the cash flow for some really nice touch screen HU with nav and Bluetooth, but my optional Panasonic seven speaker OEM system works like new, I’ll have to wait till something stops working to justify the expense, that’s what the bean counter told me!
Y’all know her as Sweetie!
Yep, i know how that is. I opted for a basic kenwood stereo, including blue tooth and all the hardware for 116.00. Priced the same stuff at a stereo shop for 640.00, not incuding the security adapter...go figure. Crutchfield is the way to go for sound equipment. After i install it, i may never get out of the car
Old 02-02-2018, 08:41 AM
Administrator

But do take pictures, lotsa pictures! The removal, the install, the finished product! We love pictures!
Old 02-02-2018, 09:19 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by davidfr
Yep, i know how that is. I opted for a basic kenwood stereo, including blue tooth and all the hardware for 116.00. Priced the same stuff at a stereo shop for 640.00, not incuding the security adapter...go figure. Crutchfield is the way to go for sound equipment. After i install it, i may never get out of the car
I would suggest replacing the speakers too. The HHR factory speakers are known to fail after only a few years. Water intrusion is usually the cause.

Hate to see you put in the new HU and then have those 9 year old speakers die on you.
Old 02-04-2018, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
But do take pictures, lotsa pictures! The removal, the install, the finished product! We love pictures!
yes but what im going to post is a short but complete step by step video of the installation from beginning to end. Complete with photos, close up shots, required tools and procedure.....just wish the stereo would get here. I cant wait to get started.
Old 02-04-2018, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
I would suggest replacing the speakers too. The HHR factory speakers are known to fail after only a few years. Water intrusion is usually the cause.

Hate to see you put in the new HU and then have those 9 year old speakers die on you.
Exactly. When I got the LT, I replaced the speakers first just to see if the stereo was usable.
After a few weeks I decided "not really" and replaced it with a decent Bluetooth Kenwood.

Funny thing is, the premium stereo in the SS is pretty fair and the Bluetooth for my phone works flawlessly.
I just load up my MP3s on thumb drives and play my jams that way. I'm sure I will eventually replace it all, but for now it is quite usable.

Quick Reply: Stereo Woes