General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

T- shirts

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 12:00 PM

I think T-shirts are a great idea...in fact, anything with chevyhhr.net on it would work for me. I'd contact jonyyB and see what he thinks and go from there. This is a great site and I'd be happy to advertise more than I already do.

Shirts would be very cool...especially for runs...group pictures. Wooo Hooo!!!
Old 07-16-2006, 12:33 PM

I'd like to see something more like a HHR Big Daddy Roth Rat Fink type t-shirt.
Old 07-16-2006, 01:25 PM

I'm gonna echo Mike on this.

You have to be very careful of the image that you use.

The company that I own spends over half of our time getting copyright permissions for clients.

One myth is that if you buy something, you have the right to use it as you please. This is not the case. As an example: Say that you bought a painting that you really like and took a photo of it to hang in your office; that's legal, you're not selling it. However if someone saw the photo and offered to buy a copy from you, selling it would then be copyright infringement.

Even using chevyhhr.net without the permission of the owners would be a violation.

In the case of the t-shirts, you might never get caught, but without significantly changing the image until it becomes mostly your creation you would be breaking the letter of the law.

Getting caught can be very expensive. I have researched this because of liability issues for my company. If sued you will not just pay a little damages, you will pay a LARGE amount for each and every item that was sold. They may demand that you get back and destroy all of the items that were sold and would likely have to sign an agreement to never use any of their images again.

I know this may not seem fair and I'm not a lawyer but I have had to research these laws in depth and have talked to several copyright lawyers.

The "site-which-will-not-be-named" was very carefully in designing their items and made sure that their font was not close to what GM used even just to write "HHR".

That being said, I want a shirt!!

Just be careful about how you do it. The easiest way would be to do what is considered a "parody" like the Rat Fink images. He was able to get away with it because no one could possibly think that it was a GM image. That's the trick, if it looks like something that GM could do, you are taking potential money out of their pockets and the courts will rule for them every time. Even if you are right to fight a suit like this start at $100,000. I've been through this and I'm not exaggerating!
Old 07-16-2006, 09:03 PM

Hey Dark Age I have one good design with Rat Fink and a smokin' HHR, also workin' on a couple of other designs, one mimics a style used by an artist in England, I absolutely love his style, but he doesn't export to the U.S. Also more Roth style drawings to follow. I agree with everyone who wants t-shirts and other stuff with this forum on it. I love this site, the topics and the people...
Old 07-17-2006, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by scaleguy
Hey Dark Age I have one good design with Rat Fink and a smokin' HHR,

That's what I'd like to see, any pics?
Old 07-18-2006, 08:28 PM

let's all see the pics

Hey Dark Age I have one good design with Rat Fink and a smokin' HHR, also workin' on a couple of other designs, one mimics a style used by an artist in England, I absolutely love his style, but he doesn't export to the U.S. Also more Roth style drawings to follow. I agree with everyone who wants t-shirts and other stuff with this forum on it. I love this site, the topics and the people...
let us all see please.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:25 PM

Old 08-13-2006, 11:42 PM

How about a HOT Rod Style HHR, with a blower out the hood?!!!!!!!!! Wide rear tires, pipes out hte sides, and really low to the ground. Cartoonlike. Like the ones at Goodguys cae shows!!!
Old 08-14-2006, 07:46 AM

Okay I will try to have pics of the Rat Fink and hot rod style drawings on the forum by the end of the week...then if the forum folks are interested we could use them for a t-shirt design. In fadct we could get a commitee effort going and take sugggestions and make something up...
Old 08-14-2006, 07:53 AM

You see soooooo many Chevy logos, car pics, whatever on t-shirt and decals. Even derogatory. Maybe they would help out a bit for a group of owners. I mean......it's not a pic of that kid peeing on a bowtie.

If you need an art critic, feel free to ask me. I don't know s*** about art, but I know what I like.

Quick Reply: T- shirts