General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Tail Lights??

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 12:50 AM

Tail Lights??

Anyone have detailed or pictures of the HHR tailights removed? I'm looking to do a custom project. But, I first need to see some pics of the lights off the vehicle? And are they perfectly round or oval, size in inches, etc? Thanks in advance!! :)

Nick
Old 01-16-2008, 06:34 AM

Nick! Best site around! I'm shaving my taillights, click on the camera under my avatar to see the pics in my gallery. If you need some dimensions from the lights themselves, I can measure them for you, they are oval also.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:49 AM

Welcome. I saw it on a site someplace but can't find it right now. The guy replaced the lower back up light unit with another upper light assy. I do recall the lower opening was not really round and he had to make it larger for the tail light unit to fit. I will try to find where I found it and post if I do. Believe the upper opening was round. They aren't that hard to remove. Remove the little plastic panel on the inside of the side panel where you would normal change the bulbs and you can get to the mounting nuts from there.
8:05am Looked on a couple other HHR forums but can't find it. Do know like I said earlier, they aren't hard to remove.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:05 AM
Banned

Look at GDZHHR's gallery when he had his car stripped down for painting. The backup light holes are slightly smaller than the brake/running light holes, but the lenses are the same size.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:37 PM

Wow! thanks guys for the quick resopnses! I kind of got from browsing this forum that it was going to be a good forum to get some info from not like others where you ask and no one is willing to help.

Well about the taillights I guess I should have elaborated eariler. I do not have an HHR (hopefully some day) but I have always loved the taillights and my wife and I we're talking about adapting them to our Blazer ZR2! I think they would fit the truck nicely and look completely stiock. SO what I'm looking for is some good pictures of them removed from the truck and of the mounting points. And then some ruff measurements of the lens and how deep/long they are, so I can go out to my truck and see if they are going to work. I would love to do this full on and find a replacement talilight houseing sheet metal and graft it into my blazer but I think I'm going to have to make them sort of removeable like my existing taillight due to there being no access to the back of the taillight from inside.

So anyway if someone could please either post this info for me or Email it to me I'd be most greatfull!

Nick
Old 01-16-2008, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by jeffs396
Nick! Best site around! I'm shaving my taillights, click on the camera under my avatar to see the pics in my gallery. If you need some dimensions from the lights themselves, I can measure them for you, they are oval also.
Looking at the pictures in your gallery scare me I think they might be to BIG! That would be sad.

On a side note I commend the work you are doing when I get one that will be the first mod I do to it because it only seems right!

I also looked thru GDZHHR's 28 page gallery and didn't see any tear down pictures.

Nick
Old 01-19-2008, 11:14 AM

Here are pics of my extra ones removed: