General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Taking off the back bumper??????

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 06:33 PM

Taking off the back bumper??????

Has anyone taken off the back bumper? I need to replace the driver side rear bumper reflector. Its pretty simple the way it goes in just push it in, but taken the old one out has me puzzled. My car was rearended, i think, before i bought it used, ex-rental car. I wanna replace it before i take it to the dealer to see what trade in is worth on a SS. I figure this way it wont tip them off bout being hit.

I took out all the clips(the back of the wheelwells, and bottom of the bumper) and the screws at the corners by the gate. I can tell that on the sides they are bolted to the body. Pullin the plastic wheelwell back a little i can only reach the first bolt, i figure there has to be at least one more in there. I decide to pull the taillight acces pannel to see if i can get them from there. But i can only feel what is three screw ends. I know these are the last fasteners holdin it solid but i just can't figure a way to get them off. Any one have any ideas???
Old 10-25-2007, 07:23 PM

Actually i just took one off a car at work , i work in a body shop, It sounds like you have them all loose ....
take out allthose clips
pull the fender liner away
take the first bolt out (i dont remember if its necessary or not, but just to be safe)
now the tricky part... you have to pull the corners out they are clipped in ..
be careful not to rip the cover it is very easy to do.
after that you just disconnect the wires and its off

hope this helps any other questions jsut ask
Old 10-26-2007, 08:04 AM

You can save yourself some work & not take the cover off just to change the reflector. they have expanding one-way fingers (for lack of a better term!) so you can carefully pull out the broken pieces...try not to scratch the paint. Then just push the new one into place & you're done. But, if you really want to finish taking the bumper cover off, you'll need a long 1/4" extension to loosen the fasteners that attach to the bottom of the quarter panel. A little tricky to get to, but not bad.