General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Test drove an HHR today...impressions within

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 06:35 PM

Thumbs up Test drove an HHR today...impressions within

Well I finally got around to test driving an HHR at Weseloh Chevy in Carlsbad CA. It was a bright red 2006 2.4L LT manual. What really impressed me was what a solid ride it had for a small car. Thing handles and feels like a small tank. It didn't corner particulary great, but it did ride exceptionally smooth, especially on the freeway.

I was happy enough with the acceleration, this coming from a guy who currently owns a Z28 with an LS1 M6. I wanted to drive and compare the automatic but they didn't have any 2.4L autos on the lot today, just 2.2's. I would describe the power as adequate. I would imagine the '07's with the increased HP are a little better. And I'm sure the weight of three grown men in the car during the test drive didn't help, either.

The quality of the craftmanship pleasantly surprised me. This one had lots of bells and whistles such as leather, XM radio, sunroof, 7-speaker sound system (sounded nice!) chrome appearance package, running boards, can't remember what else. It even had an interesting side graphic sticker treatment with small, silver HHR letters at the back of each corner which turned into a sort of 3-line pinstripe effect going all the way thru the doors to the hood.

I really liked the interior layout and the versatility for cargo. I love how the back seats fold down FLAT! My buddy I brought along for the ride was impressed too (he owns a Scion XB and really liked that feature, as his rear seats do not do that). The back seat room was impressive for a small vehicle. I'm 6-1 and had no problem sitting comfortably back there. My only gripe with the interior was the the windshield seemed kind of short, but I'm kinda used to the tunnel vision effect with my Camaro. Who needs to see traffic signals?

We didn't talk price... I'm no where near ready to buy. He did say they were blowing the 06's off the lot and they were close if not right at the invoice. This red LT I drove today had a sticker somewhere around $21K.

I've been admiring them in traffic lately, wondering how they drive. Now I know! It might be a while, a year or so b4 I get one, but I think I've found my next car. Or is that "trucklet?"

Now if they would only come out with a turbo SS model in the spring, whoa dude, that just might seal the deal!
Old 10-23-2006, 06:42 PM

WOW, you tested the Spring Edition! That's my ride! Can't even begin to imagine having any other HHR than the bright Victory Red! Love my HHR!
Old 10-23-2006, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Rolyat1955
WOW, you tested the Spring Edition! That's my ride! Can't even begin to imagine having any other HHR than the bright Victory Red! Love my HHR!
Sure enough! Great car, only about 2300 made in that color. I'm surprised there are any left on the lots.
Old 10-23-2006, 06:54 PM

MOTRV8D, since you're still looking to buy, who owns the yellow one in the small picture with your post. I WANT THAT COLOR!

If you think about the savings in gas alone over your Z28, it would be much easier to make your decision. I'd agree with the dealer that HHRs are selling at or near sticker, mainly because the quantity available is so limited. I did get a $600 discount by researching the vehicle and applying for financing online. A friend purchased his P/U and financed through GMAC to get the discounts and rebates. Then he refinanced at our local credit union at a lower rate. Just a few options you can use!

PS: you get used to the low windshield very quickly. It bothered me at first but 4 months later and I don't even notice it.
Old 10-23-2006, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Rolyat1955
yep, that's right, that's what it was... I just found this on another site:

2006 Chevy HHR Spring Edition is an options package for HHR that became available in March 2006.
Photo courtesy of Lynn Smith - Chevrolet Dealer

The color Victory Red is new and is exclusive to the HHR Spring Edition. The following options are part of the HHR Spring Edition package option PDR for LT1 HHR:

HHR 1LT in Victory Red
Silver stripe decal running from hood to rear quarter panel
Two-tone interior with Ebony/Gray cloth seats
Leather-wrapped steering wheel with redundant audio controls and leather-wrapped shift knob
Body-color running boards with step pad
Foglamps
Roof-mounted side rails
Bright-chromed exhaust tip
Bright Chrome Exterior Package
16-inch Sport chromed wheels

Other available features not included in the Spring Edition Package:
(funny, except for the spoiler, this one had all these options)
2.4 Liter DOHC ECOTEC four-cylinder, 172-horsepower engine
Two-tone leather seating surfaces with heated front passenger seats
Power sunroof with express open and close
Available dealer-installed rear spoiler (primed)
XM Satellite Radio
Old 10-23-2006, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by SandyBeach
MOTRV8D, since you're still looking to buy, who owns the yellow one in the small picture with your post. I WANT THAT COLOR!

If you think about the savings in gas alone over your Z28, it would be much easier to make your decision. I'd agree with the dealer that HHRs are selling at or near sticker, mainly because the quantity available is so limited. I did get a $600 discount by researching the vehicle and applying for financing online. A friend purchased his P/U and financed through GMAC to get the discounts and rebates. Then he refinanced at our local credit union at a lower rate. Just a few options you can use!

PS: you get used to the low windshield very quickly. It bothered me at first but 4 months later and I don't even notice it.
Um Sandy, that yellow HHR, it's a photoshop of Sindy Dix's car!
I can't afford a new one right now. Too many bills and a very short commute so mileage is not that much of a factor... too bad!
Old 10-23-2006, 07:03 PM

the spring edition is NICE!
Old 10-23-2006, 08:08 PM

Yeah, a Spring Edition in the fall, why not?
I forgot to say the seats were two-tone, grey and black.
Very comfy.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:38 PM

Theres a device out there called the Light-in-Sight, it lowers the stop lights down to your vision. I`ve got one, works very well.
There`s a thread on it somewhere.
Fits on window , next to the mirror.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Black Beauty
Theres a device out there called the Light-in-Sight, it lowers the stop lights down to your vision. I`ve got one, works very well.
There`s a thread on it somewhere.
Fits on window , next to the mirror.
well its at lightinsight.com of all places...

pretty lousy photo if you ask me.
couldn't they afford to take a better product picture?
I think I would rather crane my neck than put this on my car.
to each his own I guess . thanks for the link anyway. I never knew anything like this existed.

Quick Reply: Test drove an HHR today...impressions within