General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Is there any practical use for Instant MPG?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 03:18 PM

Is there any practical use for Instant MPG?

Ok, When you mash the gaqs , you know you'll get 1 MPG, and when you coast, you'll get 99 MPG. Does anyone have any practical use for the Instant MPG on the DIC? Seems like trivai to me, and totally useless.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:25 PM

To nag you to let off the gas when you can simply coast.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:33 PM

I didnt see instant MPG...only AVG...
am I missing something?

BTW...on my other car's onboard computer message center, I will peek at the INSTANT every now and then at certain speeds to see what sort of mileage I am getting in certain conditions.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:36 PM

It is a 08 Feature on the DIC.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:44 PM

Useless, it is giving an average with the current conditions,

I reset my after every tank, and leave it until having to re-fuel, it will have the "real" MPG your vehicle & your driving style achieved for that tank.

If you are reseting, once you hit 100 MPH, a top a hill & coast (engine just idling at low RPM), it will calculate a 99 MPH figure, because that is what you would average, if you could keep, those situations going (100 MPH at low idle RPM)just get a truck to push you,
and the oposite with flooring the engine and dogging it, engine is using more fuel, hence low MPG.

I drive, a fair amount of highway with Atlanta traffic commute, and routinely do a coast game, where watching way ahead, I bumped into Nuetral and coast, which keeps my MPG at its highest max, also coast some down Atlanta hills near my house.

Now, I don't know, if the in and out of drive on my automatic, is more use on the transmission or less use (different debate for the Mental Masturbaters here)?

Majority of differneces in MPG, is driver's habit and driver style.

Later,
Mark
Old 01-29-2008, 05:42 PM
Banned

Its main purpose is to start arguments on this site between those who claim they get 30 MPG or better and those of us who get 20 MPG or less.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:43 PM

My 99 Buick had that feature (not so on my '06 HHR). I found it useful in teaching me how to drive economically at that particular time. You will quickly learn how to feather the thottle while running down the road. Even using cruise, you'll see what the instant milage is doing. I mostly watch the average mpg when driving. I want good economy with gas at >$3/gallon as it is getting pricey just cruising around.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:03 PM

On my trip to Chicago last week I checked the instant quite a bit to see what kind of mileage I was getting at certain speeds. If I run at 55mph I was getting 35+MPG, at 65 it was down to 30, at 70 it was down to 26.

Definitely makes you want to slow down every once in awhile.

I like the feature.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by johnbegone
On my trip to Chicago last week I checked the instant quite a bit to see what kind of mileage I was getting at certain speeds. If I run at 55mph I was getting 35+MPG, at 65 it was down to 30, at 70 it was down to 26.
Definitely makes you want to slow down every once in awhile.
I like the feature.
I liked the old feature we use to call Jewish Overdrive. Did this back in the '60s. When going down a hill, we stuck the car in neutral and shut off the engine, when our speed slowed to much, turned the ign on and slip it back in gear and let out the clutch. Now we pull this trick on one kid that didn't know about it and had him put it back in gear, let out the clutch and then a few seconds later told him to turn on the ign. By that time the engine had been sucking in raw gas and had no spark so it was being blowing into the exh system so when we told him to turn on the key, it about blew both the mufflers off. laughed our b@**s off.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:52 PM

Back in the '60 in a Beetle, we would get behind 18 wheelers, put the car in neutral and the air behind the trailer would suck us along...worked great on long desert highways! Did it all across AZ, NM, and TX. But it was bad if the truck stopped suddenly.

Quick Reply: Is there any practical use for Instant MPG?