General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Thinking about buying an HHR...

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 01:27 PM

Thinking about buying an HHR...

First of all, I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Tim, I'm 19 years old from Madison, NJ and am attending Moravian College in Bethlehem, PA. I'm a bassist and photographer, and frankly, I love music and need room to pack my junk.

My current ride is a 1987 GMC Caballero (El Camino for you younger types) and I'm looking to upgrade to something with a closed top, better gas mileage, and a manual tranny. I've had to cancel too many gigs due to rain, and frankly, I can barely afford the gas in a 4000 LB 305 ci V8. Oh, and horsepower isn't a concern, even the bottom of the line HHR has more HP than my Elkie :)

I've been bouncing back and forth between the Vibe, which sometimes I like and other times I think it looks like a squatty mini-van, so this is becoming more and more what I like. I hear great things about reliability of the Vibe, and hope to hear the same about the HHR. I'm a big fan of retro stuff, so the HHR is even sweeter for me, I love the roundness of old cars, and frankly, I've always had a unique ride, and I want to keep that.

Basically my requirements include:
1. Manual transmission
2. Reliable vehicle
3. Good gas mileage
4. Good looks
5. Decent sound system
6. Enough room to haul an upright bass or two large bass cabinets and a 6 space rack.

I'm going to hit up a dealer soon and try to stuff my gear in the back, and if it's a go, if I find the HHR to be as reliable and efficient as I need it to be, I'm going to be working all summer to afford the biggest down payment I can plus a trade-in on my El Camino for hopefully the sweetest new ride I can get.

I'm not sure if I want to go bottom of the line, because this car will be sticking with me for quite a while, and since I'm ordering new, I might as well get EVERYTHING I can, while still being able to afford it. This is where my hopefully massive down payment comes in.

Leather is a plus, but not necessary. It can NOT have a rear mounted subwoofer, and more horsepower is always a plus. Don't need OnStar, I've been going years without it in my El Camino, and frankly, just about anything will be an upgrade from my rustbucket.

I'm mostly looking at the 1LT model, but am wondering whether the engine upgrade is worth $650 for 12 ft. lbs. of torque and 29 hp. Can anyone fill me more in on gas mileage between the two engines?

My parents are adamant that I have ABS and side curtain airbags so they're springing for those upgrades. Other than that, my only real concerns are cosmetic (I'm very fond of chrome so am almost certainly getting the bright chrome trim package) and coming in at a bit under $19,000, I may have a new ride this summer.

Any input?
Old 04-22-2006, 01:34 PM
Banned

Definitlely get the 2.4. Not only do you get 29 HP and 12 fl. lb. of tq. but you get VVT. The gas milage is the same for both. You're not going to get a decent sound system without the subwoofer, it comes with the decent Pioneer system.
Old 04-22-2006, 01:39 PM

VVT? Where I come from, that's volume/volume/tone controls on a Jazz Bass
Old 04-22-2006, 01:44 PM
Banned

Variable Valve Timing.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_valve_timing
Old 04-22-2006, 02:15 PM

Tim I agree with the captain, get the 2.4 I test drove both and I think you will like the feel of the 2.4 over the 2.2. I am not saying the 2.2 is bad but for a few more dollars you can get the bigger engine and a lot of people are saying that most companies will target the 2.4 for mods. Go test drive this vehicle you will not be dissapointed, also I am a huge music fan and I have the upgraded stereo and I think it sounds great but I am still planning on switching out the speakers down the road. I love driving with the windows down and sunroof open with the tunes cranked and most of my driving is highway and my system sounds really good and am very happy with it. I know you will choose the HHR and when you do join premium and post some pics! HHR
Old 04-22-2006, 02:17 PM

I have had my 2lt for about 5 weeks and I love it . I test drove the 2.2 and the 2.4 and I could tell alot of difference in the automatics . I assume you dont want the sub- woofer because of the load you will haul and dont want to block the speaker ? I have the premium sound with the XM radio which I really wanted. I have really enjoyed it , I wanted XM because Bob Dylan will be hosting a S how starting in a couple of months .
Old 04-22-2006, 02:19 PM

DEADHEAD ,
I am from Decatur originally . Where do you live?
Old 04-22-2006, 02:24 PM

The biggest concern about the subwoofer is the mounting location. If it's tucked up out of the way, it shouldn't be a problem and I may pick up the upgraded system, but that's something I have to see first.

Don't think I'm going to be getting a sunroof, but my windows are only up if it's raining. I personally love windows rolled down in the winter with the heat cranked, really refreshing yet comfortable. My current sound system in a two seater cab can't handle the windows down over 40mph without farting, so I think just about anything will be better.

Looks like the 2.4L may be the way to go.

Is there any reason I should pick up the 2LT over the 1LT?
Old 04-22-2006, 02:30 PM

Dylan I am from Bloomington but now live in LeRoy which is a small town between Bloomington and Champaign. Hey I also love Bob Dylan but as you can tell from my screen name I am a huge grateful dead fan. AlsoTim the sub is mounted out of the way it will not cause you to lose any cargo area. I have a 2LT and originally had in mind a 1LT but after driving the 2LT with the chrome package and upgraded wheeels, and sitting in the leather seats I was Sold
Old 04-22-2006, 03:02 PM

Dylan is my dogs name and he like to ride in the HHR so that is the reason for my username. Of course my dog is named after the great Mr. Zimmerman.

Quick Reply: Thinking about buying an HHR...