General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Thinking of buying, but have a question

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 07:36 PM

Thinking of buying, but have a question

My driving is about 95% rural highway. Currently I am driving a Chevy pickup getting 20.8 mpg on my daily commute of 50 miles round trip. So the HHR gas mileage claims are definitely appealing to me ( not to mention the really cool style). Having driven several vehicles that had plenty of power ( 2 suburbans, a tahoe, a trailblazer and the current pickup ) I wonder about the HHR in my situation. I have seen several comments about it being perfect for the urban driver and commuting, but not much about highway performance.
This is a major decision because I will be trading an upside-down vehicle and will have to be willing to keep the HHR for a very long time.
I have been very impressed with the abundance of information on this board, but most of all with the politeness of the members.
Thanks for your help.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:38 PM

Name:  welcome4.gif
Views: 32
Size:  5.6 KB to the site!!! The HHR is a great highway performer. Now that Chris is driving Black Knight daily most of his miles are highway.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:52 PM

This past week-end I put 975 miles on mine and it handled great on all types of highways.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:05 PM

I put nearly 1300 miles on mine the weekend after 4th of July going from Denver to Kansas City and back. The HHR ran like a champ and the gas mileage was great. We averaged anywhere from 28.6 to 34.5 depending on who was driving and how fast they were driving. The 34.5 was me doing 75mph and the 28.6 was when my boyfriend was driving about 80mph against the wind...plus the AC was on the entire time because it was hotter than hell that weekend too.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:21 PM

The Deer Slayer averages 28.5 intown and 32.3 on the highway...

But you ask about the get up n go. really is should be get up n gone might be a better phrase for it.

It wastes no time getting from 60 to that passing speed you need....
Old 07-30-2007, 09:01 PM

A BIG Texas to the site and ditto as all above have mentioned even our 2.2 scoots around well here in the hill country. I was even surprised at how well it takes steep hills, now granted it's not a sports car. But I have to say all round its style, cargo room, performance, and great gas mileage makes it well worth the money. We're making a road trip to Dallas on Thursday to pick up a project Harley, which I will be building from the ground up. I called to check dimensions today and it will all fit in the back of our HHR. You might check your local car rental companies and rent one for the weekend, that way you will know for sure if you like everything about these cars. Good luck and be sure to come and brag on your new HHR, be sure to bring pictures.

Curtis & Deb
Old 07-30-2007, 09:23 PM

Mine is a daily driver and I commute to work 45 miles one way. All but about 2 miles of which is rural highway. HHR does great! I was concerned about the 4 cylinder and if it had enough power to keep up on the highway and handling the hills and such, and after a test drive those concerns were quickly put to rest. I know each persons needs and desires are different, but for me the HHR is the perfect compromise between comfort, usability, space, and economy. I highly recommend this car for a daily commuter.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:27 PM

I took mine to Estes Park here in Colorado last summer too and it handled like a champ in the mountains. I was quite surprised that I didn't have to do a great deal of shifting with my 5 speed either. The HHR seems be geared low, and mine handled the mountains beautifully.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:30 PM

Last year, and earlier this year I made a trip from Nebraska to PA and back. Had no problems with the car, got great gas milage (highest I pulled out was 36mpg Hwg) So you can say I drove from the flat lands to the mountains. Had no problem handling the mountain portions of I80 in Ohio and PA. and not aproblem with the wind at times in the flatlands of Iowa and NE. A good portion of the trip I had the car to 85 mph (oops, didn't keep an eye on the speed in IA and IN. Overall, it was a pleasurable comfortable drive.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by courthousedeb
I took mine to Estes Park here in Colorado last summer too and it handled like a champ in the mountains. I was quite surprised that I didn't have to do a great deal of shifting with my 5 speed either. The HHR seems be geared low, and mine handled the mountains beautifully.
Thanks for reminding me about the Deb . While on my trip to Colorado in May we took the HHR to near the top of Mount Evans. 13,000 feet and the HHR had no problems at all. I couldn't breathe worth a darn but the car was awsome.

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying, but have a question