General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Thinking of buying a HHR, have some ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 11:59 AM

Thinking of buying a HHR, have some ?'s

Hey guys and gals, I recently started considering an Chevrolet HHR and would love some of your input. I have a few questions.....

1. Hows the quality? How many times has yours been in for warranty work, what types of issues?

2. What is the real world fuel mileage? My wife drives 105 miles a day on the Interstate, what kind of mileage can we expect?

3. What options and features should I look for? I am buying new and would like your input on things you like, don't like, or wish you would have ordered on yours.

4. Is the location of the oil drain plug and filter easy, or at least semi-easy, to reach?

5. Anything else you can add that will help me with my decision and subsequent purchase would be greatly appreciated!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
As this is my first post, I thought I would introduce myself......

My name is Jared, I am 30 years old in June, I live just south of St. Louis Mo. Married with no kids, and am a Police Officer by occupation.....but please don't hold that against me!!!!

I've spent the vast majority of my life driving/racing/wrenching on Chevrolets.

As far as my automotive background goes........I currently own 2 Jeep Wranglers, a 98 and a 2005. I also currently own a 1956 Chevrolet 210 2 door wagon. I have been a Chevy guy most of my life, with the exception of the "Jeep Thing" addiction. I have owned the following Chevrolets, a 70 Nova, 70 Chevelle, 65 short bed fleet side pick up, 78 Monza, 86 Camaro, 98 S-10, 71 Monte Carlo, 86 S-10, 79 Malibu, 82 Camaro.........I thinks thats all.

I am also a Silver Supporting Member of Chevytalk.com.

My Picturetrail website is www.picturetrail.com/Jared1956

Thanks in advance for all of the advice!!!
Old 03-22-2007, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Jared1956

1. Hows the quality? How many times has yours been in for warranty work, what types of issues?

2. What is the real world fuel mileage? My wife drives 105 miles a day on the Interstate, what kind of mileage can we expect?

3. What options and features should I look for? I am buying new and would like your input on things you like, don't like, or wish you would have ordered on yours.

4. Is the location of the oil drain plug and filter easy, or at least semi-easy, to reach?

5. Anything else you can add that will help me with my decision and subsequent purchase would be greatly appreciated!!!
#1, No issues, never been back to the dealer for any repair work.

#2, On the highway, I seem to get 28-30 actual (not DIC reading).

#3, Get the boards. Motor is up to you, I test drove a 2.4 auto and the 2.2 5 speed. The stick was a lot better responsive and pulled better than the auto. But the auto was still ok. Stick is listed as no towing allowed.

#4, Drain plug is not harder that any other vehicle. Filter is on top of the motor, so it's easy to get to. Just watch for drips.

#5, Test drive more than one. Load it as you would have it set up normally to make sure it's size is still ok. Some seem to think it's small once they put the normal items in it. Always test load first.

Last edited by solman98; 03-22-2007 at 01:03 PM.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:20 PM

First, Name:  bf54f4bf.gif
Views: 38
Size:  2.3 KB to the site!!!

1. Small issue of belt noise in progress to be fixed.
2. I'm seeing 25-28mpg
3. Get running boards, they are a must.
4. Don't know, I don't touch that stuff
5. Don't rush in, take your time and make sure it fits you and you get want you want.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:39 PM

Hey guys and gals, I recently started considering an Chevrolet HHR and would love some of your input. I have a few questions.....

Welcome Jared!! I live in Maryland Heights and used to live in a few different spot on the South Side!! We're planning a g2g (get together) with a few HHR owners for here at St. Louis Mills on the 31st, come out and join us, you'll get to see a few "real world" HHR's.

Now for your questions.....we own two HHR's, so
  1. Quality, overall, has been very good. For a first year car, we have only bee in twice, total, for waranty stuff. Both times minor. our cars have 15,000 and 20,000 miles on them.
  2. Interstate, expect 28-30+. That's on the St Louis area hiways. I drive from west county to Union every other week, and with all the hills and construction traffic on 44, I still get over 28mpg's and I tend to drive a little, okay a LOT, on the fast side. best milage, for us, seems to be arounf 65mph.
  3. I'd get a loaded 2LT. We loved the heated seats this winter!! The 2LT has a better suspension. Get the premium 6-speaker radio too w/wm. I love my xm. You get three months free then they'll give you a deal. Make sure you get running boards the way they over-salt the roads around here in the winter. Sunroof!! Drove around all day yesterday with mine wide open. Get the leather seats. I've too many others complain about how easily the cloth stain. The 2.4lt is a MUST!! gets about the same mpg.
  4. Valvoline changes our oil!
  5. A great Haulin' Hot Rod!! You really can't ask for more of a $20,000 grocery-getter. Good mpg's, great interior room/storage, great standard features, and very dependable.
  6. Thought I'd add a list of what I think are must mods: shorten the lock-knob stems; or your elbow will suffer; 20% tint on front glass, perfect match for rear; CGS intake, adds 8hp and a couple mpg's if you keep a light foot (on the wife's I just switched out the OEM filter for a K&N filter, runs better); oh yeah, make sure you seat all the underhood fuses, GM seems to have an issue with this on the HHR's; and if you like your car load & proud, a new exhaust, lots of options here; and a re-tune on the ECM, this will add 20-25HP or a combo HP/mpg.
I could go on and on. This is a great car.

Make sure you check out the threads in the Mid-Central Region, always something going on there and check out www.shindiginshellknob.com

Hope this helps.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:58 PM
jx3

I have a few questions.....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
As this is my first post, I thought I would introduce myself......

My name is Jared,
Name:  welcomesign.gif
Views: 41
Size:  13.1 KBName:  welcomesign.gif
Views: 41
Size:  13.1 KB

Welcome to a fellow name sake!! Different spelling but still the same!

1. Quality seems to be as expected for the price of vehicle and mine has been to dealers twice for warantee work. First time for the rear hatch failing to open, second time was for the key not being released from ignition. Both times, my Dory was in and out in the same day.

2. I can't give you "real world" fuel mileage as to the road congestion here in Miami, but highway gets :twothumbs .

3. As far as what you need....running boards ! The rest is up to you as to what you might like.

4. I've yet to do my own oil change, but have been told it's not to difficult.

5. Consider the coolness factor of driving in a HHR!!
Attached Images
File Type: gif
welcomesign.gif (13.1 KB, 46 views)
Old 03-22-2007, 01:11 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome and fantastic replies!!!!
Old 03-22-2007, 01:17 PM

Someone commented on cloth seats staining. I have the ebony interior and this is not an issue.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:24 PM

I have the grey cloth seats and somehow ended up with a cappuccino stain on the side of the seat Not sure how I'll get that out now, it's been there for awhile.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:25 PM

Welcome to the forum. Look forward to you becoming a new HHR owner.

1. I have no problem with quality. Have had my car since 1/2/06 and have never had an issue with anything at all.

2. Mileage depends on how much lead is in your foot. I get around 25 city and 30 highway.

3. Get the running boards. I've got a 2.2L 5 spd and love it. That's all a matter of preference there.

4. I don't do the oil myself either...but I understand it's a snap. There's a thread around here somewhere on that I believe....Probably the Problem/Services board or maybe how-to.

5. Coolness factor is definitely a plus. Great car to do mods to and you'll meet some great HHR owners online as well.

PS...I have the cashmere cloth interior and the seats do stain occasionally. I just use Prestone Upholstery cleaner (get at Walmart for < $4.00) and haven't had anything that wouldn't come out yet.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:55 PM

No problems in first 1800 miles.

Did a very unscientific experiment yesterday with fuel mileage. Went on a drive of about 75 miles round trip purposely trying to get the most mileage reading on the DIC that I could. HHR is a 2.4 automatic had 93 octane Sunoco in the tank, about 3/4 full with 2 adults on board. (Driver and passenger). These were rural country roads, some rolling hills, a lot of straight and level, no traffic, temperature 40 degrees fahrenheit. I never exceeded 55 mph and probably averaged 40 to 45 mph. With a very light foot I got 32.2 mpg on the round trip according to the DIC. I think normal driving would have resulted in what everyone else is reporting (and what I normally see), somewhere between 26-30.

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying a HHR, have some ?'s