Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   General HHR (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/)
-   -   Traction control light; hard shift (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/traction-control-light%3B-hard-shift-59930/)

shojay92 02-07-2018 10:13 PM

Traction control light; hard shift

Hello everyone:) always a pleasure to come visit. Thank you all in advance for helping me out with yet another problem with my 2006 LT. So now this is what my HHR is doing. When I start it, there is no traction control light. If I either let it sit idling, or if I am stopped in traffic for too long, the traction control light comes on. When this happens, the transmission hard shifts. I have to shut the car off and restart. When I restart the car, the traction control light goes out. Then the car runs and drives fine. But man if I let it idle in my driveway for more than 5 minutes that pesky traction control light comes back on. Any ideas? In order for me to keep the traction control light out, I need to keep the car in motion. Very strange phenomena and I have no idea why on Earth this would be going on. Any help would be greatly appreciated :-)

whopper 02-08-2018 12:24 AM

Check this thread and it's suggestions - https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/gene...d-shift-59930/

It sounds like a hub problem, but to determine which one you need to use a OBDII code reader that will read more than just the basic engine codes - some suggestions are in the above thread.

shojay92 02-08-2018 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by whopper (Post 838022)
Check this thread and it's suggestions - https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/gene...d-shift-59930/

It sounds like a hub problem, but to determine which one you need to use a OBDII code reader that will read more than just the basic engine codes - some suggestions are in the above thread.

Thank you for your reply. I am getting a p0301 cylinder 1 misfire. The wheel hubs are a year old.

Oldblue 02-08-2018 07:28 AM

Check the wire to the #1 cylinder coil, if it’s a separate coil.
Your 2006 might have a coil pack and you’ll need to remove the air cleaner box, and the coil pack.
How many miles on the spark plugs?
What brand plugs are in there?

donbrew 02-08-2018 08:45 AM

It is the p0301 that is setting the traction control and hard shifting.

After you do what Oldblue suggested you need to do a compression and leakdown test.

whopper 02-08-2018 09:44 AM

Shojay92 - the p0301 error code for the misfire should have lit up the Check Engine light. Did the light not come on during the reported problems?

Cat Man HHR 02-08-2018 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue (Post 838025)

Looks like he has this ignition system.

https://www.1aauto.com/ignition-coil...yABEgJXDPD_BwE

shojay92 02-08-2018 01:14 PM

Your 2006 might have a coil pack and you’ll need to remove the air cleaner box, and the coil pack.

the plugs are new, Bosch. This is why the traction control light comes on?

Cat Man HHR 02-08-2018 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by shojay92 (Post 838044)
the plugs are new, Bosch. This is why the traction control light comes on?

No, there is something else wrong.

Cat Man HHR 02-08-2018 01:19 PM

Something is wrong here. When I look up shojay's profile he has a 2009 SS. Or am I missing something here?

whopper 02-08-2018 01:32 PM

Yeah I am beginning to wonder too - although he may have two HHRs.

No mention of check engine light - which should come on with a p0301 code. and he didn't anwer the question I raised about it.

I'm out

Oldblue 02-08-2018 01:41 PM

OK, in your 2006 2.4 HHR , it was designed for AC Delco Iridium 41-103 plugs

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.che...62d2d08b20.png

Those Bosch plugs can foul and cause a misfire code.

Cat Man HHR 02-08-2018 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by whopper (Post 838047)

No mention of check engine light - which should come on with a p0301 code. and he didn't anwer the question I raised about it.

I'm out

I'm going to follow you.

RJ_RS_SS_350 02-08-2018 08:44 PM

Yes, I remember he has 2 HHRs.

Agree, it could be the non-ACDelco spark plugs. That's an easy theory to test.

shojay92 02-08-2018 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by whopper (Post 838047)

I'm out

yes I have two HHR's one is an 09 SS. The other is an 06 LT. Sorry for not responding. I didont get any notifications.

shojay92 02-08-2018 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue (Post 838048)
OK, in your 2006 2.4 HHR , it was designed for AC Delco Iridium 41-103 plugs

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.che...62d2d08b20.png

Those Bosch plugs can foul and cause a misfire code.

Nah it was misfiring before I put the plugs in. Still does it

shojay92 02-08-2018 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew (Post 838033)

After you do what Oldblue suggested you need to do a compression and leakdown test.

Ok thanks for the info. I will check it out

donbrew 02-09-2018 07:10 AM

Go to your "User CP" and set your notifications.

Oldblue 02-09-2018 07:37 AM

When you pull the plugs to do the compression test, double check them for differences between cylinders

shojay92 02-09-2018 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by whopper (Post 838022)

Will so thank you:)

shojay92 02-09-2018 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by shojay92 (Post 838078)
Nah it was misfiring before I put the plugs in. Still does it

Here's an update....i ordered from ebay a set of Camshaft Intake Position Actuator Soleniods(why on earth GM would give these parts 4 names!). I also ordered a new mass air flow sensor, and a new injector for cylinder#1(I'm getting a p0301 code remember). Hopefully between these parts I'm putting on my engine, will make my check engine light and traction control lightsgo out. It is such an aweful feeling when that transmission shifts hard. Ugh, my poor car.

donbrew 02-09-2018 05:14 PM

Why not do some diagnostics before throwing money at it? The parts you mention are unlikely to cure a misfire.

switching coils and injectors, compression/leakdown, fuel pressure etc.

shojay92 02-09-2018 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew (Post 838129)
Why not do some diagnostics before throwing money at it? The parts you mention are unlikely to cure a misfire.

switching coils and injectors, compression/leakdown, fuel pressure etc.

UnfortunatelyI have no idea how to do those things

donbrew 02-09-2018 06:02 PM

I wish my pockets were that deep. It is a lot cheaper to learn how than to buy useless parts.

How had you intended to change the parts you bought? Switching injectors and coils is the same process as changing them. Any big box auto store should loan a compression kit and a fuel pressure kit. None of that is rocket science.

Oldblue 02-10-2018 07:17 AM

https://www.obd-codes.com/p0301

Could other things gone bad!

Does the plug look like this

Check Engine Code P0301 - Causes and How to Fix It

shojay92 02-10-2018 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue (Post 838142)
https://www.obd-codes.com/p0301

Could other things gone bad!

Does the plug look like this

Check Engine Code P0301 - Causes and How to Fix It

No, the spark plugs are brand new

RJ_RS_SS_350 02-10-2018 02:03 PM

You were chasing this misfire 3 months ago(stuck spark plug), Is the shifting issue and traction control light a new thing?

Oldblue 02-10-2018 02:11 PM

How about the old plugs?

shojay92 02-19-2018 03:24 AM

Hey I think I fixed it. I replaced the mass airflow sensor, #1 fuel injector, and the two cam intake actuator soleniods on top of the valve cover. I cleared the code and so far 3 days with no check engine light nor traction control light. My fingers are crossed. The car also runs better.

Oldblue 02-19-2018 09:52 AM

You mean the two solenoids, grey one is intake , black one is exhaust

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.che...96f42bff9.jpeg

shojay92 02-19-2018 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue (Post 838771)
You mean the two solenoids, grey one is intake , black one is exhaust

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.che...96f42bff9.jpeg

Yea that's right. They cost $21.00 dollars off eBay. They are Chinese knockoffs but they work. We will see how long

shojay92 02-20-2018 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew (Post 838033)

Hey I have great news! I think it's fixed. I changed the mass airflow sensor, #1 fuel injector, and the two cam intake actuator Soleniods on top of the valve cover. I did all this last Friday and here it is now Tueasday and so far no check engine light nor traction control light. And my car runs better and has more pep. So my fingers are crossed. Parts total was about $100 dollars. My fingers are crossed but man I can feel the difference.

shojay92 02-21-2018 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350 (Post 838164)
You were chasing this misfire 3 months ago(stuck spark plug), Is the shifting issue and traction control light a new thing?

Yes it's a new thing but luckily I fixed the problem. I replaced the mass air sensor, #1 fuel injector, and the two cam intake actuator Soleniods on top of the engine. The check engine light has not come back on since I cleared the code. Fingers crossed.

R CA HHR 02-26-2018 07:18 PM

I have replaced those actuators several times over the years and finally got tired of it.
What I have noticed is mine does well until about 50% oil life or so then I get the light and the hard shifting.

What I've done for the last couple years is pull the actuators and submerge the entire screen area in seafoam while I change my oil and it seems to do good for awhile...

I was told at one point that dirty oil causes the actuators to throw the code. My oil does seem to get very dark very quick so I have pulled the actuators out in between oil changes and clean them but it doesn't seem to last as long as when I do it during the oil change.

I have a blue smoke after idling issue and a bit of blow back through the occasional (or lack of) tube off the intake. That may be part of why my oil gets dirty so fast. I'm not sure I'm still working on that.

shojay92 02-26-2018 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by R CA HHR (Post 839066)
I have replaced those actuators several times over the years and finally got tired of it.
What I have noticed is mine does well until about 50% oil life or so then I get the light and the hard shifting.

What I've done for the last couple years is pull the actuators and submerge the entire screen area in seafoam while I change my oil and it seems to do good for awhile...

I was told at one point that dirty oil causes the actuators to throw the code. My oil does seem to get very dark very quick so I have pulled the actuators out in between oil changes and clean them but it doesn't seem to last as long as when I do it during the oil change.

I have a blue smoke after idling issue and a bit of blow back through the occasional (or lack of) tube off the intake. That may be part of why my oil gets dirty so fast. I'm not sure I'm still working on that.

Yeah I've done so much research on those actuators. Did you know they play a key role in the engines variable valve timing? So if one of those actuators malfunctions, that makes the cars computer throw a fit and causes the tranny to hard shift. It's so odd that GM would design something to stupid. The actuators I bought off eBay only cost $21.00 dollars. I will remember soaking them in seafoam. Hey just to let you know, try going 3,000 miles between oil changes and use full synthetic oil. I get mine at walmart. I don't know the condition of your HHR but I tread both my HHR's(one is an SS) like fine china lol. I baby them only because they are so tempromental. So far no check engine light at the time of this entry and it passed a NYS inspection today!

shojay92 02-27-2018 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by R CA HHR (Post 839074)

What I've done for the last couple years is pull the actuators and submerge the entire screen area in seafoam while I change my oil and then shake and blow them out, it seems to do good for awhile...

I was told at one point that dirty oil causes the actuators to throw the code. My oil does seem to get very dark very quick so I have pulled the actuators out in between oil changes and cleaned them but it doesn't seem to last as long as when I do it during the oil change.

I have a blue smoke after idling issue and a bit of blow back through the pcv (or lack of) tube off the intake. That may be part of why my oil gets dirty so fast. I'm not sure I'm still working on that.

Hmm...i don't have blue smoke yet, do you have the 2.2L?

Oldblue 02-27-2018 08:29 AM

A 2006 2LT would have the 2.4, the 2.2 that year did not have VVT.
That blue smoke is most likely the intake valve guide seals are worn out or the piston rings .

shojay92 02-27-2018 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue (Post 839088)
A 2006 2LT would have the 2.4, the 2.2 that year did not have VVT.
That blue smoke is most likely the intake valve guide seals are worn out or the piston rings .

Maybe find a donor HHR and and take the head off that one and put it on your car.

shojay92 02-27-2018 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by shojay92 (Post 839110)
Maybe find a donor HHR and and take the head off that one and put it on your car.

I really do appreciate all your help Oldblue:) You've been a great help

Oldblue 02-27-2018 04:51 PM

Thanks, you’re welcome!