General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Transmission Cooler Install...Anyone Do?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 06:43 PM

Transmission Cooler Install...Anyone Do?

I have a 2LT with Auto, 2.4L that I am trying to install a Hayden brand transmission cooler. My problem is I can't find the proper adapters that will fit onto the existing lines that run into the radiator. Has anyone installed a cooler and where did you find the right adaptors? Thanks.
Old 06-17-2007, 06:45 PM

Name:  welcome4.gif
Views: 2070
Size:  5.6 KB to the site!!! I remember members talking about these but don't recall anyone actually doing one.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:18 PM

Go to a shop

Originally Posted by KZig
I have a 2LT with Auto, 2.4L that I am trying to install a Hayden brand transmission cooler. My problem is I can't find the proper adapters that will fit onto the existing lines that run into the radiator. Has anyone installed a cooler and where did you find the right adaptors? Thanks.
Be very careful, if you proceed, the trans is a sealed unit, any lose of fluid especially if you`re adding additional piping, could cost you a trans, not to mention void your warranty.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:43 AM

Old 12-04-2007, 05:49 PM

Been a while since this was posted. What about it? has anyone done it? I would like to do this as well. I know the new fluid is not as easy to boil but this seems like cheap insurance against overheat.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Black Beauty
Be very careful, if you proceed, the trans is a sealed unit, any lose of fluid especially if you`re adding additional piping, could cost you a trans, not to mention void your warranty.
My thoughts also. If something can be done, there is always someone who will somehow get er done
Old 12-04-2007, 07:00 PM

Just be careful not to cool to well. unless you tow a lot with your HHR, [Tow with a HHR????] a trans temp gage would be better.
trans fluid like eng. oil has a operating temp that it should run at and the cold can be as bad as over heat IMO: my 2cents:
Old 03-14-2008, 05:10 PM

I just saw a B&M cooler that claims to automatically bypass the cooling element when the fluid is cold. Must be something to what you are saying. The transmission is not actually sealed. It has a plug for changing the fluid but no dipstick. I do wonder how you would get the level right because your capacity would have to go up with the additional tubing. I think as soon as my warranty is up I'll just install the B&M. It requires cutting the hose (universal kit). I tow a small utility trailer occasionally and even though it is not overloaded I still like a cool tranny.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:22 AM

I just had a Continental Transmission shop put one on Stitch II. Thus far, doesn't seem to be having any issues in regards to either leaking fluids or tranny getting too cool. (Plus, it didn't cost too much, a little over $200 for parts and labor because it was easier than they thought it would be.)
Old 08-09-2015, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by KZig
Very simple to do. I put one on mine and it took me about an hour and half to do. I went with a Hayden Automotive 676 Rapid-Cool Plate and Fin Transmission Cooler from amazon along with a Hayden Automotive 397 Transmission Line Fitting Kit. The lower line on the bottom of the radiator is the return line to the transmission. I installed the fitting kit in to that then ran it to the external trans cooler and then ran the return back to the transmission return. really quite simple to install, the only thing that was a pain was trying to check the transmission fluid to make sure that it was still okay. If i could figure out how to post pictures I've got several that I could share.

Quick Reply: Transmission Cooler Install...Anyone Do?