General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

U-Pick Salvage Yards

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 07:07 AM

U-Pick Salvage Yards

So, I am contemplating visiting my local pick a part lot for the first time on Monday because they are having a July 4th sale. The reason I am going to visit is while browsing there inventory I came across a 2007 "Fall Edition" white HHR in great condition aside from the front end being obliterated. I have been wanting new mats for some time now and this one as pictured has them. As I am a younger guy I just wanted to reach out and see if anyone here had any stories or advice about pick a part lots? Also, anything else you might suggest I take off the HHR ? The rear wing (SS style... normally I thought they came with the hoop? Aftermarket install by previous owner?) looks mighty enticing. Also, the rims look to be in perfect condition but I don't really NEED new rims, the black chrome is just quite appealing.
Old 07-02-2016, 07:22 AM
Platinum Member

Been to many salvage yards over the years. One thing to remember is, prices are always negotiable.

Interior parts are always a gamble. Wrecked cars are usually subjected to the weather elements because of broken windows or doors that don't close all the way.
Any interior parts that have carpet or fabric should be looked at very closely before buying.
Old 07-02-2016, 07:37 AM

For anyone wondering this is the HHR in question. The INSANE thing is that I called to confirm some things; they charge 25 USD for each aluminium rim and on the day I am going they will be 40% off..... On top of that... that wing goes for 27 dollars and with 40% I would be able to purchase it for LESS THAN 20 DOLLARS. I asked the rep at the yard over and over about the prices and was astonished. The floor mats on amazon? nearly 300 bucks or so. From the yard? $1.77 EACH. Do these prices sound outlandish given your past experience or are they usually this cheap?

Last edited by RJ_RS_SS_350; 03-12-2017 at 12:31 AM.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:19 AM
Administrator

Please take a torx T30 screw driver and grab me those door handles I've been looking for IBM from an 09 but those black chrome will do nicely.
As for the prices just pay those low prices their just fine!
PM me if you do get the handles complete for all four doors and the rear Beauty bar if you can, and we'll arrange payment and shipping
Old 07-02-2016, 09:21 AM
Platinum Member

Those are some good prices. Even better when you add in the discount. That floor mat price is so low they ought to throw them in free with the other stuff you'll buy.

Now, getting that SS rear spoiler off may be a pain. They are usually attached with the stud/nut combos AND double sided tape. May want to have some fishing line or dental floss in your pocket to cut through that tape.
Don't want to break the spoiler trying to pry it off.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:43 AM

Junk yards seem to charge about 1/2-2/3 new retail, in my experience. My local pick a part doesn't do a whole lot of discounting for walk-in clientele.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:49 AM

OF course I will find out actual pricing details when I get there, pull the part, and present it to them but there listed pricing are absolutely incredible. Also, I misspoke about the rims they would be more like 40 dollars a piece but even so that is a great price. That is before the discount as well.
Old 07-02-2016, 11:30 AM

You could probably make a profit on the Fall Edition headlights, even just 1.

Too bad the cross rails are gone.

H'mmm, no shark fin? Must have been fleet. Check the storage bins for a fob laying about.
Old 07-03-2016, 10:48 AM

OH LORD Now the lot has a fresh Cobalt SS/NA with the supercharged type wheels. Gosh which set do I pick? Fall edition smoked chrome rims or the Cobalt SS rims!!!! AGHHHHHHHH
Old 07-03-2016, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
You could probably make a profit on the Fall Edition headlights, even just 1.

Too bad the cross rails are gone.

H'mmm, no shark fin? Must have been fleet. Check the storage bins for a fob laying about.
AANNND in behind the tailight access "hatch" . thats where I found mine

Quick Reply: U-Pick Salvage Yards