General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Used HHR values: Blue Book vs. Black Book vs. Edmunds vs. NADA

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 08:33 PM

Used HHR values: Blue Book vs. Black Book vs. Edmunds vs. NADA

As I'm testing the waters on trading off my '07 for a remaining '08 SS, I noticed that Kelly Blue Book, Edmunds, and NADA are all pretty close on trade-in value on my HHR, but Black Book is about $2000 lower accross the board. What gives? Black Book claims its the dealer's reference, so it souns like its artificially deflated to favor the dealer. I don't know what other conclusion to draw when the other three references are all in the same ballpark.

Black book said $9000 - $11,000 for my HHR, but the others were showing high trade of around $13,000 and low of around $11,000.

On the downside, I'm seeing '08 LS's advertised for $16,995 new, so that doesn't do much for used values.

I know, I know, we all know our cars are depreciation monsters, maybe not as bad as a Kia or Suzuki, but not too good.

D@mn, I'm talking myself out of getting rid of it just typing out this post.

I do hold free and clear title on my HHR, though, and that makes it tempting to take the SS plunge! But, i'd have to pick up payments, and going from no payments to payments, well, that'd be a drag.

Maybe I need to just forget about an SS. Just seems like it would be so fun, though, rowing through the gears with the turbo whining, pinned to the seat by the thrust.

Selling my HHR as a private party is out, though. I absolutely can't stand dealing with all the tire kickers. Its actually worth a couple few thousand to me in loss to not have to endure the process of tolerating potential buyers. I would make a horrible used car sales professional, LOL.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:59 PM
Banned

Take it over to Carmax and have 'em do an appraisal on it. They use values based on the actual condition of the car and what the cars are actually getting at auction.

Most regular dealers I've been to just based the trade-in value on what they're doing with the new vehicle sale. I can get my car completely paid off by the local dealer here if I get into a new Silverado with $10k off the truck by Tuesday--and I'd be upside down if they actually went by the "books".
Old 08-15-2008, 09:07 PM

i gotta a better deal at the dealership trading in then what carmax ever thought of giving me.....
Old 08-15-2008, 09:23 PM

Get the SS. It's just money. Fun is priceless.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:56 AM
Platinum Member

LR...it could be regional but.....

Dealers here, generally, reduce the trade in value that Kelly, Edmunds and NADA indicate by about $1500-$2000. The resale guy says it accounts for the "reconditioning" they need to do.....even if they need not to And most say that Kelly BB, Edmunds and the like, mean nothing to them. It all depends on what they can get out of the vehicle.

I got fully disgusted and stopped, with the trade-in idea about 10 years ago. I took a really pristine car in with dealer installed extras, including a "gold" package. They low-balled me and said, "Well you're getting the new one really cheap at GM discount and we need to charge for reconditioning". Reconditioning..... the car is 5 months old and has 2700 miles on it. I demonstrated his IQ with the middle finger of my hand and walked on that deal. I've private saled since then.
Old 08-16-2008, 06:08 AM

If you do some work, you're 8K away (plus TTT)

Lone Ranger, I'm just an HHR wannabe at this point, but I'm a 40 year old car guy who is also lusting after an SS. I sell my own cars that are meticulously maintained. If there are minor issues, I disclose any issues in the records. If there are major issues, I trade the POS ( ) and the dealer auctions it and it likely goes to the last chance lot or overseas. I also despise "payments" so here's just some ideas that might help...

1. I know you can get an 08 SS from a dealer that's certified with <10K mi for <20K plus TTT. 5 speeds especially and the SS tight suspension aren't for everyone long term from the dealer i talked to so this is an opportunity for you. I just drove one yesterday and loved it. I MIGHT be able to chew them down to 19K if I work at it. Personally, with the turbocharger and tendency for the SS package to more expensive to maintain down the road, I want all the warranty I can get and would not buy an SS from an individual. Just my $.02.

2. Seriously reconsider selling yours. A few hours of work will save you $3000+ in the deal you're considering to sell your 07 outright. For roughly 12 hrs of work, you earn $3K in after tax money. Would you accept a job offer for $250 an hour? I would.

- Just clean it up. It's amazing to me that folks don't pay attention to detail to clean the inside, remove hair/lint from seats with a lint brush, wipe down the dash with simple soap and water non-scent solution and clean out any leaves, etc. in the engine bay. Please don't armor all everything into a sticky mess though! And Meguiar's scratch X is a miracle worker for light clearcoat scratches. Then wax over the whole car. Time req'd - 4 hours.
If you still want to sell it after you see how good it looks, continue...

- Advertise it in the local paper and the largest local online autotrader. Pay the $100-$200 for the adds that give the details, notes maintenance items (e.g., new tires, 60K service done, etc.) the VIN, says it's private sale and asks for a CASH sale only. This weeds out many of the less desirables. I'm also really liking Craigslist to find good personal sale cars these days. eBay and other sites are too cluttered IMO. Time required (1 hr)

- In the print ad, mention the online ad # to GIVE PEOPLE PICTURES to avoid needless inquiries.

- At least 12 pictures at all angles need to go in the online ads inside and out including engine compartment. (1 add'l hr to upload it all)

- Put your cellphone in the ad. You have to be there for the call since the average person buying a private sale car spends about 3 seconds on each ad. Trust me on this since I sold a truck in 2 days that had been in the papers for weeks just by doing this alone. Private car buyers are buying the person who drove the car as much as the vehicle. A responsible, non-smoker will sell cars. (4-6 hrs total)

- Put a separate free-mail e-mail address on the ad so you don't give away your personal e-mail address. (30 mins on yahoo or hotmail)

- Tell people very specific 2 hr intervals you can meet for a test drive. Say I can meet between 10-12 and must be somewhere at 12:30. Take control of the schedule to avoid frustration with "be by this weekend" types. (0 time at all!)

- When they come totest drive, take a digital photo of their license before the test drive. You want to know who has your ride and this takes zero effort really.

4. If you live in a state with sales tax, i know everyone will say it's better to trade. On a $12K car, $800 in tax savings is < $3000 cash in hand. Math is your ally!

5. For the $8K in your case, get the cheapest money you can before going to the dealer. For $250 total closing costs, my credit union is giving away 4.95% 5 year home equity loan money that's tax deductible. Just refied one car note plus some home improvements into a fixed note and saved $100 a month in interest.

6. Ideally, you save up the 8K before you go shopping of course! Then enjoy that SS and the pride in having fun without buyers remorse.

It's your money and your liberty from payments is at stake. Take control!

Peace.