General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Very disapointed in my HHR.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 06:26 AM

Very disapointed in my HHR.

As of today the car only has 54000kms that’s about 32000miles on her. And so far the front end of that car is a wreck.

Started about 2 years ago, I had a noise in the front end of the car, dealer diagnosed it has the steering rack. Then few months later there was another noise , this time they found that it needed link kits. Then winter came along and has I was putting on the winter tires I notice that both front struts were leaking. So I waited after winter and reported it to the dealer plus again there was noise, they replace the struts and could not find the noise. Went through summer with the noise and the next winter has the noise got worst. Now the warranty will end at the end of June this year, so I got it in again advising them that I notice that the front driver strut is leaking again, and that there is noise in my front end, they now replace 1 strut again and replace all front lower control arm bushings. I left the dealer and notice the damw noise is still present. I went back went for a road test with the dealer teck, and he said it needed a steering column, which they replace this past Monday. I went for a drive yesterday, and what do you know, there is still noise on the passenger side over bumps sounds like a warned out strut type of noise... witch it can’t really be since it was replace less than a year ago.

So lets recap...

23000kms replace the front rotor has they were warp

28000kms
1-they replace both front strut and made the alignment.
2-the noise... they replace a rack-kit, what ever that is, sure enough the noise is gone.
3- cluster now works ok, they check it out but could not find anything or even duplicate the issue.
4- they did 2 recalls, one for a over head protection, and one for the bracket on a compartment ...
5- they replace both my remote for battery holder issues.

36000kms
1- Remote
2- Link kit

51000kms
1- lower control arm bushings both sides
2-drv bumper park lamp
3- Pass windshield washer nozel
4- Chevy emblem in rear hatch
5- Struts for the hatch
6- Remote 3 trd time
7- Clean a sweating from the lower crank gasket
8- Stick shift chrome ball peeling off replace

53000kms
1 steering columb kit
2 replace front rotors and pads rotor warp again... pads 30% left so it was time...

54000kms appointment for noise again in front end

man I hope they fix it before the warranty ends

i still have 12 month on my stupid lease and no more warranty....

Last edited by badboy69; 06-09-2010 at 07:52 AM.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:31 AM

I have had front end work done on mine too, it has only 21k on it thank god. but I suspect it will be one of those things that will need constant attention.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:04 AM

What I find annoying, is that at 51000kms, I complained about a noise, and paid for a full inspection. Yet I have been there again and again, for the same noise. To me that’s also a dealer issue they should go do a road test and make sure there are no more noises...
And the other thing that bugs me ,is that this car is driven by my wife 85% of the time and on asphalt roads 95% of its time, so why is the front end so beaten up...
Old 06-09-2010, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by badboy69
What I find annoying, is that at 51000kms, I complained about a noise, and paid for a full inspection. Yet I have been there again and again, for the same noise. To me that’s also a dealer issue they should go do a road test and make sure there are no more noises...
And the other thing that bugs me ,is that this car is driven by my wife 85% of the time and on asphalt roads 95% of its time, so why is the front end so beaten up...
It's a car like all others, has bugs like all others. Do some research on the 04-06 GTO's and you learn of their issues like killing tires in 10k miles due to suspension issues, no matter how they are rotated.

The aftermarket will come around, just going to take time.

As for spouses, mine does not notice things until its well past "Redline" and its annoying, so thats why I tend to drive when we are in the car. I only noticed my suspension quirk when I was letting the steering wheel correct itself and noticed a "Clunk" on the feedback.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
It's a car like all others, has bugs like all others. Do some research on the 04-06 GTO's and you learn of their issues like killing tires in 10k miles due to suspension issues, no matter how they are rotated.

The aftermarket will come around, just going to take time.

As for spouses, mine does not notice things until its well past "Redline" and its annoying, so thats why I tend to drive when we are in the car. I only noticed my suspension quirk when I was letting the steering wheel correct itself and noticed a "Clunk" on the feedback.
Granted, but I have an old 98 corolla with 210000kms all original parts and noting is loose...
So for me, having replace all these parts in the front end at such a low kms is scary.
Plus I have one last year to go on my lease and no more warranty. I really don’t want to pay for repairs on a lease before i give it back...
Old 06-09-2010, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by badboy69
Granted, but I have an old 98 corolla with 210000kms all original parts and noting is loose...
So for me, having replace all these parts in the front end at such a low kms is scary.
Plus I have one last year to go on my lease and no more warranty. I really don’t want to pay for repairs on a lease before i give it back...
PT Cruiser Design + Made in Mexico = A bad idea.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:30 AM

Front end suspension issues have been a hallmark of GM cars and trucks for years. From a 1992 K1500, to a 1994 Saturn SL1 , to the 2000 Saturn SC2 or the 2006 Malibu LTZ all my cars have had front end issues as described above. Im hoping new HHR avoids the issues but i wouldnt be surprised if it has the same issues.. Just hope its before 36,000 miles.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:51 AM

I'll be getting my breaks fixed for the 3rd time soon because of warping. I've only had it for 2 years =\