General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Voiding the warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 11:00 AM

Voiding the warranty?

Do simple mods like a CGS air intake and axle-back exhaust, and an anti-sway bar automatically void your warranty?
Old 05-30-2009, 11:05 AM

The answer would be depends.

It depends on your dealer, even though they should void the warranty a dealer tries to avoid the headaches of aftermarket parts a lot.

The intake might void the warranty if your having engine issues.

The sway bar might void the warranty on suspension issues.

The catback should be able to be used to void the warranty.
Old 05-30-2009, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by 09 Panel
The answer would be depends.

It depends on your dealer, even though they should void the warranty a dealer tries to avoid the headaches of aftermarket parts a lot.

The intake might void the warranty if your having engine issues.

The sway bar might void the warranty on suspension issues.

The catback should be able to be used to void the warranty.
Where did you gather this information? According to the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act, no aftermarket parts can void a warranty unless it can be proven that they are the cause of the failure in the vehicle. If you engine dies b/c something from the intake was sucked into the engine, water was brought in as a result of a CAI, or something along those lines, then sure, it was due to the aftermarket part, warranty is void. If your strut blows b/c you have lowered the car with lowering springs, then sure, warranty is void. If your windshield wipers stop working they can't void your warranty b/c you have different rims or a CAI! The aftermarket part has to be causing the problem you are trying to get fixed under warranty. If you put a $10 chip from Ebay on your car and your computer fries, start saving! An aftermarket sway bar is nothing more than a thicker, stiffer bar that replaces the stock bar. How does an exhaust void the warranty at all?
Old 05-30-2009, 12:50 PM

Yea yea like the dealers bother with that and since they have the muscle you end up having to fight it.

The point is what I said is reality.

The intake can be claimed to have caused a motor problem. Then you have to prove they are not right.

The sway bar can be claimed to have caused suspension issues, again you have to prove them wrong.

And sorry I meant to say the exhaust shouldn't be able to be used to void the warranty.

The cat back is pretty much a freebie, hard for them to claim anything caused by it.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:16 PM

Some of the local dealerships are voiding the engine warranty for cars with tunes. Same goes for lowering springs and sway bars for the suspension. The MM act is easy for the dealership to get around. Such as for instance a critical internal part failing in the engine. It is easy for them to say the tune changed the parameters of the engine and created the failure.
A buddy of mine was just told by a local dealership that his whole engine warranty was void due to a down pipe. The dealership noticed it at an oil change and submitted the down pipe so he can not get warranty work.
I have had mine in for warranty work twice. For a serpentine belt and new factory cat. Both were my fault. My home built CAI rubbed the belt. My fuel system upgrade for the super charger clogged the cat. I do want a tune, but have found that the so called stealth tunes do show up, even though they advertise to the contrary.
For the cat replacement I did leave on the k&n intake and cat back exhaust. I removed the bigger injectors and supercharger. For the belt I put the factory CAI back on since my filter was the culprit. They blamed that on an idler pulley and replaced that as well. They did not say a word about the k&n with the clogged cat. But then again I have very little patience and started getting perturbed with the shop manager when he was asking why it failed so quickly. I turned the question back to him questioning if I should take it to another dealer since he was supposed to be an ASE certified mechanic, yet asking a customer with no mechanical ability to diagnose a problem.

So yes you can modify your car a bit. But some things will void and some things wont. The problem is every dealer is different. I would imagine with the current predicament of GM they are going to get a little pickier about warranty work on modified cars. I have even heard of the local dealership installing gm performance parts then not honoring warranty work. The gent did win, but had to get a lawyer.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:31 PM

[
I have had mine in for warranty work twice. For a serpentine belt and new factory cat. Both were my fault. My home built CAI rubbed the belt. My fuel system upgrade for the super charger clogged the cat. I do want a tune, but have found that the so called stealth tunes do show up, even though they advertise to the contrary.
For the cat replacement I did leave on the k&n intake and cat back exhaust. I removed the bigger injectors and supercharger. For the belt I put the factory CAI back on since my filter was the culprit. They blamed that on an idler pulley and replaced that as well. They did not say a word about the k&n with the clogged cat. But then again I have very little patience and started getting perturbed with the shop manager when he was asking why it failed so quickly. I turned the question back to him questioning if I should take it to another dealer since he was supposed to be an ASE certified mechanic, yet asking a customer with no mechanical ability to diagnose a problem.

So yes you can modify your car a bit. But some things will void and some things wont. The problem is every dealer is different. I would imagine with the current predicament of GM they are going to get a little pickier about warranty work on modified cars. I have even heard of the local dealership installing gm performance parts then not honoring warranty work. The gent did win, but had to get a lawyer.[/QUOTE]
If you mod a car and then change it back to get free stuff, that is stealing, you should have the balls to stand up to what is the truth.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by 09 Panel
Yea yea like the dealers bother with that and since they have the muscle you end up having to fight it.

The point is what I said is reality.

The intake can be claimed to have caused a motor problem. Then you have to prove they are not right.

The sway bar can be claimed to have caused suspension issues, again you have to prove them wrong.

And sorry I meant to say the exhaust shouldn't be able to be used to void the warranty.

The cat back is pretty much a freebie, hard for them to claim anything caused by it.
You must be dealing with the dealerships in Mount Pleasant....

Cause all that is totally wrong unless your just have a bad dealership. WHich is about all they have in Mt Pleasant. They figure the rich don't know crap about cars..... So they screw everyone.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:48 AM

yeah most of it depends on the dealership itself. some want your business, some dont. ive hadd issue with dealers before and they wanted to void warantee work so i just pushed a little and told them i know my part had no effect on th warantee work and that my dad was a layer and we are fully prepared to take this matter to court. and they backed off and fixed the part. for the most part though i just find good dealers who are willing to keep you a happy customer. heck ive gone in for a paint blemish on the car and walked away with the body shop guy spraying extra parts on my car to match for free. ive had a dealer install white faced gauge overlays for me while it was in for other work. there is more then one dealership out there so look for the good ones.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:25 AM

Just the same I am fine with that. Thanks Captain Obvious. By the way it sounds like you work for my local dealership.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by bugflipper
Just the same I am fine with that. Thanks Captain Obvious. By the way it sounds like you work for my local dealership.
was that meant for me?

Quick Reply: Voiding the warranty?