General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

We hit something but we don't know what

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 07:30 PM

Angry We hit something but we don't know what

Check this Thread out, Hope this never happens to you.

So Today Z-Man and his HHR were driving on I-94 following a few vehicles on their way to work, when all of a sudden a large item came flying at us. It seemed to be a very large can about 10" high. We noticed it as it came flying out under the very large SUV in front of us. This caught us off guard because it was 0430 this morning. We were unable to make an evasive move due to the amount of traffic around us.

The truck drivers had noticed the problem we were having so they slowwed down so we could pull all the way over to the right. The IL State Police were called and noticed that the HHR had no fluids and the front center( just below the front hood )had an indentation. The police saw the indentation and compared the dent to the size of a large folgers can. It was very dark at this time, so we were not really able to see all of the damage.

Now at 1.00 PM I was able see how much damage was really done to my poor unfortunate HHR. Well guess what, i couldnt believe my eyes. The radiator was bent back about 6" into the engine, The oil pan had a large hole in it and was bone dry, the transmission pan was cracked and had no fluid as well. The whole undercarrage was covered with anti-freeze, oil & trans fuild. as i walked around the HHR i noticed where all the fluid had gone to. The rear window, tailgate and upper rear spoiler was covered with the missing fluid. The body shop had informed me that they will have no problems obtaining parts from chevy to keep my fluid inside my HHR. With this sarcastic comment i could do nothing but laugh.

Black Beauty had given me a custom made grill to protect the radaitor in case we ever came in contact with road debris. The grill performed above my expectations. However, the object that struck us was so large & hard that it did a lot of undercarrage damage. I thank Black Beauty for the grill. It really did help minimize the damage.

I will take photos tomorrow and I will post them. This is what happens when you cannot move left or right. This is what happens when all you can do is go straight and pray for the best. I am glad that no one was hurt & that I was able to control my HHR.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:37 PM

That definitely stinks there bud. Sorry to hear about this unfortunate incident. We look forward to hearing how this all shakes out. Please keep us updated on how that all goes.

Before anyone says anything, you'll probably hear that this isn't Front Page News, but rather should be in the War Stories forum...but I could be wrong. Just wanted to give you a heads up in case you see it moved.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:44 PM

Z-man, I would first thank all the little people who...... Although the only piece not damaged on Z`s veh. just so happens to be the grill ( I learned about on this very site ) I attached for him, I don`t deserve such a glowing review. My Mini Cruck/Road ripper could use some. Thank you very much , Z
B/B
Old 07-26-2006, 08:12 PM
jx3

Wow!! That's alot of damage!

You say it was a can about 10 in? Could it of been a gallon paint can?

Luckily you were able to come to a safe stop and noone got hurt.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:28 PM

It looked like a 10" High style can of coffee, but no one could find the Item that I hit, not me or any of the Drivers who seen what happen. Not even the Police or DOT.

Z
Old 07-26-2006, 08:30 PM

B/B I thank you and the others for that Grill Information, It really did help.

Z
Old 07-26-2006, 08:31 PM

I understand if its moved, I am new at this and just want to share.

Z
Old 07-26-2006, 09:19 PM

believe me Z-man I know your pain brother!!!!!! Hope you get her fixed in time for the run to peoria!!! later bud !! oldschool out
Old 07-26-2006, 09:25 PM
Deceased

sorry it had to happen and glad your lower grille helped
Old 07-26-2006, 09:53 PM

Yeah Z, That`s the cj Krause Lower grill if I`m not mistaken !!!