General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Weird A/C thing today, anyone else ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 09:04 PM
Platinum Member

Weird A/C thing today, anyone else ?

Driving my HHR, had A/C on & it got cold, so I figured I'd just shut it off for a while. That was fine, till after the sun came out again, I turned the A/C back on & frosty air started coming out my A/C ducts, like the freezer in the fridge at home.
Just for like 30 seconds, smelled cold & good, but never had that happen ever before.

Anyone else or any input ?
Old 08-03-2018, 10:20 PM
Platinum Member

Frosty air is normally because of high humidity in the cooled air. Automotive and home AC units generally pull the excess moisture from that air.
Why did your's do that ? Not sure. But I would suggest pulling the cabin filter and see if it's wet or damp. Also, you may want to check your drain line and make sure it's clear.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:29 PM
Platinum Member

Thank You Sir, I was thinking to check the drain line, forgot about cabin air filter tho.

Just for the record, it only happened that one time today.

Last edited by sleeper; 08-04-2018 at 09:37 PM.
Old 08-04-2018, 11:45 AM
Premium Member

I have had the same thing happen before with other vehicles, HHR has done this several time but all the conditions have to be just right. Looks "cool" to me.
Old 08-04-2018, 09:34 PM
Platinum Member

Thank You as well J W Davis.

Well my A/C drain is clean & clear as a whistle & I did notice some water residual wetness below the drain exit on the firewall insulation (outside). So it appears to be draining.
And my cabin air filter is clean, dry & smells fresh. Carpet & the floor underneath is all dry as a bone.

PS: I was able to access the A/C drain line from under the hood, left hand over the air box w/ a dental mirror, while right hand held the light. I could see straight in, prox 3"... Clean.. No need to snake anything..

Next outing I plan to watch the drain to see the condensation water come out.

Thanks FiremanGeorge
Old 08-05-2018, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by sleeper
Thank You as well J W Davis.

Well my A/C drain is clean & clear as a whistle & I did notice some water residual wetness below the drain exit on the firewall insulation (outside). So it appears to be draining.
And my cabin air filter is clean, dry & smells fresh. Carpet & the floor underneath is all dry as a bone.

PS: I was able to access the A/C drain line from under the hood, left hand over the air box w/ a dental mirror, while right hand held the light. I could see straight in, prox 3"... Clean.. No need to snake anything..

Next outing I plan to watch the drain to see the condensation water come out.

Thanks FiremanGeorge
Don't have a car here to look at, but on most vehicles there is a rubber drain tube shaped like an elbow to prevent the condensate from wetting the insulation and firewall etc
Wet insulation does not work well.
Old 08-05-2018, 07:50 AM
Administrator

He is taking about this drain drain for the A/C on the passengers side of the firewall
Old 08-05-2018, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Oldblue

He is taking about this drain drain for the A/C on the passengers side of the firewall
That's the one.
Hope he has the rubber.
Sometimes when work is done under the hood those things mysteriously disappear.
Old 08-05-2018, 10:49 AM
Technical Moderator

I bet the humidity was way up at the time. When the AC was turned off the coils stayed freezing cold long enough to freeze some condensate, when you turned it back on the flakes blew off the coils. It smells fresh because the water is distilled. It happens a lot on those 50F days when the humidity is 80% and you need the AC mixed with a bit of heat. Maybe that's a D.C. weather thing.

If you had said it smelled like a high school locker room I would worry about clogged drains.
Old 08-05-2018, 09:34 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Oldblue

Blue- Thank You, Yes that is exactly what I was referring to, & my rubber drain looks the same, & wet on firewall insulation like your pic, as it should. And also why I added (outside) in my earlier post to be specific.

Originally Posted by donbrew
I bet the humidity was way up at the time. When the AC was turned off the coils stayed freezing cold long enough to freeze some condensate, when you turned it back on the flakes blew off the coils. It smells fresh because the water is distilled. It happens a lot on those 50F days when the humidity is 80% and you need the AC mixed with a bit of heat. Maybe that's a D.C. weather thing.

If you had said it smelled like a high school locker room I would worry about clogged drains.
Don- Thank You also, Yes you nailed it, very high humidity, & temp was in 80's but overcast & then back to sunny. Mixed kinda day.

And no locker room smell in my ride,.............................. now in my boots may be another issue..

Quick Reply: Weird A/C thing today, anyone else ?