General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Weird Interior Light Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 05:54 PM

Weird Interior Light Issue

Backlight "lights" do not illuminate on the Radio and HVAC controls when headlights are in auto mode and I take my foot off the brake. Instrument panel lights up fine but I do not have any dimmer switch function. Radio works and lights up normal but none of the control buttons. Backlights are also non-operational when headlights are in normal mode. I even lost my "blue led mood light"! Weird huh?? I know it's a warranty issue but I'm curious if anyone else has had this problem?? It's an 08 LS with a whopping 400 miles on it. Oh, and the brakes are pulsating like crazy too. Supposed to bring it in on Thursday. Oh, and one more thing I have 18'' custom wheels on her do I need to put the stock's back on before I take it in??

goatcheez
Old 06-30-2008, 06:05 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by goatcheez
Oh, and one more thing I have 18'' custom wheels on her do I need to put the stock's back on before I take it in??

goatcheez
I would put the stock back on. Sounds like whoever installed your wheels may have over torqued them. 100 lb ft is the proper torque.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:03 PM

I put them on and torqued them to 100 lbs per lug as directed in the HHR manual and wheel installation instructions. I noticed the brake vibration when I was driving the car home from the dealership when I bought it with stock wheels on. It just seems to have gotten worse. Should I still switch back to stock wheels for warranty visit to the dealer??

goatcheez
Old 06-30-2008, 10:12 PM

retainer clips

Did you take off the retainer clips on the hubs? If the wheels don't have recesses for the clips it might make the wheels out of alignment?
Old 07-01-2008, 09:12 AM

I'm pretty darn confident that the wheels are NOT the problem. Cheap rotors, bad rotors, or whatever you want to call them they should NEVER stat to warp or vibrate within the first 500 miles. Period. I've owned VW's, Saab's, even my 2005 GTO, all had after market wheels and NONE of these cars had this issue EVER! Especially with my HHR having vibration issues within the first 500 miles. I purchased all my prior custom wheels from the same respected vendor and installed them myself. Weird and annoying. Still can't figure out the interior light issue. I did do some research and noticed that there has been a service bulletin or two about similar problems with interior lights.

goatcheez
Old 07-01-2008, 09:16 AM

Not saying the wheels are the problem...

Just check to see if the clips on the hubs are removed. If not they can cause the wheels to be out of alignment.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:52 PM

I bought my car a month ago. Pulsating started at about 700 miles. Rotors needed to turned. Was told they where rusty and that contributed to the problem. Oh yea I had new wheels installed at 500 miles, They where a non issue.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:25 AM

Okay, so my HHR is currently at the dealer getting my issues looked at. They can't seem to figure out the interior light issue I mentioned in my previous post. They have called me three different times to ask "questions" and to tell me that if any of the mods that I have done to the car have caused the issues it will NOT be covered under waranty. Geez, thanks. Don't you think they should discover what the proble is first and then call me with questions?? It soundslike a disclaimer before they even do anything. I'll bet I'll get a call in a little while explaining that MY installation of FACTORY the fog lights and harness caused the interior light failure even though they worked fine up until a few days ago. Long after the fog lights install. I'll refer them to the TSB regarding the VERY same problem that I'm experiencing on All-Data. I'm sure they will also tell me the wheel lugs on my AFTER MARKET wheels were torqued too tight (I personally torqued them to 100lbs each as stated by the manual and wheel manufacturer) and caused the rotor warping.
Give me a break. ANY person who is in to modding cars knows that they (the dealer) have to prove that the modification CAUSED the malfunction or failure BEFORE they can deny any waranty claim. Not call me with CYA "questions" before they even work on the car!! Any modifications that I do to my cars I do with as many factory parts as possible and always keeping in mind waranty restrictions and coverage. I'm VERY careful, not some half brain hacker. I hate dealers! I'll keep ya posted...

goatcheez
Old 07-03-2008, 09:28 AM

Good luck

Hope your hassles aren't too long lasting...
Old 07-03-2008, 11:27 AM
Founding Member

I'll bet I'll get a call in a little while explaining that MY installation of FACTORY the fog lights and harness caused the interior light failure even though they worked fine up until a few days ago. Long after the fog lights install.
goatcheez
I know you don't want to hear this but there is always the possibility that the connection for the fog lamps is causing a feed back or a ground problem is present. Hopefully that's not it and this will turn out favorable for you.

Don't you think they should discover what the proble is first and then call me with questions?? It soundslike a disclaimer before they even do anything. goatcheez
It is customary for any repair shop to notify a customer of possible charges for services before the repairs are done.

I hate dealers! goatcheez

Quick Reply: Weird Interior Light Issue