General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

well, it finally happened

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 09:40 AM

well, it finally happened

yesterday while driving home, I spotted a DSM HHR coming towards me in the opposite direction. I flashed my headlights at the driver just before we passed...he sort of glanced over...a little confused...

then, less than 2 miles later, here comes another DSM HHR in the opposite direction...I flashed him as well...he raised a hand in a friendly wave, and the look on his face was like "hey, wow...another HHR owner who knows what he's got...more than just a car...cool"...he really looked shocked that I gave him an electronic wave.

so...I have read that many unique cars on the road have their own little signals.
Miatas with the flip up head lights used to "wink" as they pass...when they flash their lights in the down position, the headlight doors lift slightly, then re-close...a sort of "wink"....later model Miatas have flush-mounted headlights, so they do flash.

My old 1973 Alfa Spider...we shared the "Alfa wave"...a wave to a passing Alfa owner...

but it seems in this day and age, car buyers are almost ignorant to what they drive(like the first DSM driver I passed...clueless that I was signalling him from one HHR owner to another)....people just dont seem to take pride in their cars anymore.

so...do we have sort of an official signal that we display to other passing HHR's on the road? or am I just a geek
Old 01-12-2008, 09:47 AM

Some wave, some flash, some honk and some do all 3
Old 01-12-2008, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by HillsdaleHHR
Some wave, some flash, some honk and some do all 3

Old 01-12-2008, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Smoke Wagon
so...do we have sort of an official signal that we display to other passing HHR's on the road? or am I just a geek
Nothing official. Docwylie waved to me when we passed each other on I-190 a few weeks back. Then there was the time I found myself stopped at an intersection next to HellraiseHHR (when his car was still up and running) and after we both waved he flashed me the "rock on devil horns."
Old 01-12-2008, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Smoke Wagon
To some you are cool, to others out there who have no idea what they have or care for that matter will go with the geek side. To them I say pttttttppptpptptptpt Who cares if they wave back or not, wave first and try and start a new trend in your area. Never know, you may just make someones day too.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:38 AM

this tends to happen with newer cars. the car is bought by people who see it as a car with good gas mileage, ample room, and good looks. but they are not enthusiasts and don't know (or generally care for) the heritage and following.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:59 AM

furious...that makes perfect sense.
I am sure that Equinox owners dont flash each other their hi-beams when they pass...and unfortunately, many HHR owners think they have "just another minivan/suv"

sadly, GM lists it under SUV on their website
I saw the catagories
cars
trucks
minivans
suvs'

...and I was looking for SWEET RIDES as a catagory for the HHR...but alas.,,it was under SUV.

there are a few SSR's in my area...saw one last night at the store...I was in my Suburban, not my HHR...I would love to see a HHR and a SSR parked side by side for a photo op
Old 01-12-2008, 11:59 AM

A PT Cruiser waved to me once....
Old 01-12-2008, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by old motorhead
A PT Cruiser waved to me once....
Maybe they were lost and wanted you to stop and give them directions.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:26 PM

Now, how do you wave to (at least) TWENTY HHRs cruising on Beach Blvd. early on a Saturday morning in the OC?! (after having good donuts and bad coffee that is)

Quick Reply: well, it finally happened