General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

What makes an LT2?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 05:18 PM

What makes an LT2?

My wonderful 2000 Dodge Durango was getting a bit old so I traded it for a 2009 HHR LT2.

I got home, my wife took one look and said "Mine! Mine!" and confiscated it.

So I went out the next day and traded her VW New Beetle for another HHR LT2.

I had bought hers from a local dealer, I found mine on the internet 200 miles away in Atlanta and had her drive me over to get it. I am a dummy, I guess, because I didn't drive it or even look it over... an LT2 is an LT2, right? I figured that I knew what I was buying since I already had one.

Wrong. On the drive home I learned that evidently LT2s come in many quite different flavors!

They're both 2009 HHR LT2, hers has 28k miles, mine 30k, but they ride and drive like totally different automobiles!

Hers is bright red, has leather interior, remote start, sunroof and drives like a dream with sharp response, strong acceleration and rock-solid performance on the Interstate.

Mine is black, has the cloth interior, none of the options hers has, and drives like an old truck. It rides rough and is all over the road... you have to correct the steering all the time even on straight highway. The dealer had installed new tires when I got mine, making me wonder if maybe it had been slid off the road or something, as the factory tires should have still been good at 30k.

I took mine to a local dealer to confirm that it is indeed an LT2 and he says it is based on the VIN, but that it is a "Fleet" model.

So, what does the model designation 'LT2' even mean if they can vary so wildly? I would recommend hers to anyone but mine to no one, so I can't just say "An LT2 is a great choice", evidently I have to say "Certain models of LT2 are great cars".

Doesn't that defeat the point of having a model designation?
Old 08-02-2010, 05:43 PM

From what I know they should be the same...... Cloth vs. leather that's a choice option and both are available on a 2LT (mine has cloth) Auto vs. manual, etc. are choice options available on the 2LT

but suspension (FE3 sport suspension), engine (2.4L), 17" alloy wheels, etc. are the same on all 2LT's..... being a "fleet model" shouldn't change the basics but you won't have remote start, (rental agencies have this removed typically) I would think from your description that there is something wrong with your black one...... Low cost tires could make a big difference but it shouldn't be "all over the road".... were they even balanced?
Old 08-02-2010, 06:16 PM

I have a 2007 base LS, no options, and one of the things I have always been impressed with, is its stability and tracking on the road. I would be concerned that it had perhaps been in an accident that has compromised the front end or???? Those factory tires don't really last all that long, at least thats what I'm seeing on my 2007. It has 24,000 on the odometer and probably another 8,000 towed miles behind our motorhome, and I'm probably looking at tire replacement in another 5 to 8,000 miles.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:37 PM

Did you get a Carfax on this? Should show if there was an accident.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:39 PM

2lt

My 2LT came with every factory option except the automatic transmission and side airbags (the latter was standard by 2009). The heated leather seats (together) are one option, and the sunroof is the other major functional option. There are also several appearance options like the rear spoiler, roof rack, mud guards, etc (my car had them all). If you are not tracking well on the road and already have replaced the tires, which you presumably had balanced when mounted, I suggest you get your alignment checked. My 2LT is amazingly stable and quiet, and the FE3 suspension is a bit stiffer than stock without being harsh. I am sorry you made the mistake of thinking that all 2LTs are alike. 2LT is a good trim level, and the best you can purchase new now. I recommend getting all the options except the automatic transmission so that the 2.4 performs its best. Clearly, you are happier with your fully optioned one, and anyone else reading this thread can learn from your mistake - options cost much less on used cars than new. If you are buying used, snap up every factory option you can get, as you will never see a better deal on them either new or by adding the ones you still can do later!
Old 08-02-2010, 06:43 PM

Oops, 2LT not LT2, got it!

Thanks for the answers, I will have my local dealer give it the once-over to see why mine does not drive as well as hers.

I drove mine on the Interstate yesterday for about 300 miles and hers on the same interstate today for about 40 miles and the difference is obvious... hers is a much smoother and tighter ride.

To all visual appearances both cars have the same stereo and the same issue... the front speakers are much louder than the rear. If I dial the fade all the way to the rear in both cars at idle, windows up and AC on I can barely hear the rear speakers. To get the fade right I have to put it at about 60/40 rear-to-front. I reckon since it's the same in both cars it's a design flaw and not a dealer issue. Has anyone else noticed this?

The factory warranty will soon expire, I bought the premium bumper-to-bumper extended warranty, is there anything common to HHR 2LTs that I should have looked at while the factory warranty still exists?
Old 08-02-2010, 06:54 PM

I just missed out on my bumper to bumper (07' and I bought it this year) but I haven't had any issues..... some "common" problems seem to be front brakes, check for rust on the inside of the door bottoms, with your handling situation leaky front struts, but you really shouldn't see that on an '09....... just some of the things I've seen others mention here on the forum.

I haven't noticed the "fade" situation with the premium stereo, mine sounds great, not sure where I settled on that setting though. I may be about 50/50, but it's been awhile since I messed with it.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:16 PM

My 2LT I had, had the same issue with the speakers 60/40 rear to front.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:35 PM

You can go here and put in your VIN, it will spec out your options as it came equipped.

http://compnine.com/vid.php
Old 08-02-2010, 11:06 PM

I'm betting yours was in an accident and/or it has a bad alignment. The bad alignment would cause it to drive horribly and eat tires. Explaining most of your concerns. Secondly, when the dealer or previous owner (rental company even) replaced said bad tires, they could have put ole cheapo's on it, which could explain the heavy road noise and possibly truck like handling.

Did you say the power of the motor was in question?

Do they both have the 2.4 motor? Look under the hood at the sticker showing motor size.

Quick Reply: What makes an LT2?