General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 10:27 AM
acm

What would you do?

After having my car undercoated by Ziebart, i noticed that they put a dent in my car, tore the weather stripping slightly and also sprayed my timing belt/tensioner with undercoating, which is causing an annoying squeaking/rubbing noise. I have confronted the owner of the ziebart i went to and he explained to me that the dent was GM's fault because they put a support where they needed to drill in order to spray. All in all he was generally unhelpful and was only willing to give me one free check up (a $50 value). I haven't accepted his offer because i think that i desearve more compensation for the horrible job they did to my brand new car. the problem is that i don't know what would be fair to ask for in regards to compensation. So what would you do if you this happened to your brand new hhr?

here are some pics of the dent, it is in the passenger side door jam, on the bottom:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y94...y/PICT0012.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y94...y/PICT0011.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y94...y/PICT0010.jpg
Old 11-01-2006, 10:34 AM

That just sucks. What a bunch of hacks. Their is NO WAY it is GM's fault for putting a support where they need to drill - that comment is so stupid that I don't even know where to begin. If you don't get satisfaction at the store level, try moving up to regional/corporate (not sure of their structure). If still not satisfied, my next steps would be the BBB and small claims court.

EDIT: Ziebart is a franchise based in Troy, Michigan. The HQ phone is 248-588-4100. I am not sure how much influence they have with a franchisee but it is THEIR name that is being tarnished. It couldn't hurt to try.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:45 AM

What's fair? A new timing belt/tensioner, replace the damaged weather stripping, fix the dent, AND all of your money back. You've received terrible customer service, and they should be going out of their way to make you happy, even if it lose money on the deal.

As others have said, there is absolutely no way that this is GM's fault. GM has no responsibility for what an aftermarket company does to the vehicle.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:47 AM

I think I would get to the Chevy dealer ASAP and get an estimate to repair the damage - that way you know exactly what you are asking Ziebart to pay for to resolve this issue.

Last edited by bdubsee; 11-01-2006 at 12:46 PM.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:25 PM

That's is just horrible customer service. I would file a complaint in writing to the store and make sure to keep a copy. If you don't get an acceptable resolution I would file a complaint with corporate. Then follow up with another written complaint to the store and carbon copy the CEO on it.

Nick
Old 11-01-2006, 05:41 PM

I would immediately send a certified letter to the owner, documenting your conversation where he told you such things as it was "gm's fault", and recognized the other problems. In that letter tell him you are not satisfied and will pursue with both Zeibart corporate and small claims court if necessary.

I would then get written estimates from a GM body shop on dent repair, and check with your service dept and get and estimate fixing the strip and their opinion about the spray over of the ziebart.

Send copies of those estimates (again certified letter) to the Zeibart shop, and THEN contact Zeibart online and notify them of the situation and dealers refusal to pay/fix.

If you get no help..this is EXACTLY what small claims court is all about and it seems you would easily win this case.
Old 11-01-2006, 05:43 PM
acm

thanks you all for your responses. im glad to be hearing what you guys are saying because it has been exactly what i have been thinking, but i wasnt sure if i was being unfair.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:15 PM

Let's see, you PAY them to dent your car and you don't want to be unfair?
Don't visit New York City, you wouldn't last long there. LOL
Old 11-01-2006, 06:38 PM

nail the guy in small claims. the g/f and I sued our dry cleaners and won, in a case similar to you. Guy claimed he didn't do it, was mfrs' fault. He'll lose.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:00 PM

First.......NO manufacturer is going to design a car so that another company will have an easy job of undercoating it. The dealer of the undercoating is supposed to know how to undercoat all vehicles. Second, I don't know about Canada, but in Massachusetts, USA, businesses such as that have to carry liability insurance.

Try the guy again. If he doesn't budge, contact the local newspaper, or better yet, the local network television station if they have a consumer reporter. In Boston we have "Help Me Hank". You giver her your story and if she finds it worthy (she HATES crooks), she persues the bad guy on the evening news. They usually pay up after a visit from her.

If all else fails, if your province (see, we in Boston aren't completely stupid) has what we would call an attorney general (state prosecutor) and has a consumer affairs division, call them.