General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Where's the aftermarket support??

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 09:33 PM

Where's the aftermarket support??

Well... it's been WELL over a year now and I still see literature pop up on my computer screen saying how "friendly" the HHR is to customization. Statements like "GM hopes customizers will embrace the wagon just as they took to the PT Cruiser and the boxy Scion xB" and "...the Specialty Equipment Market Association recognized the HHR as the "most accessory-friendly SUV" at its recent trade show in Las Vegas." are words that make me wonder!
Sure, I love my little cross-over, and think it has a TON of potential, but stickers, ventshades, lowering springs, and few exhausts options are hardly what I'd call a 'selection'. What happened to all the *aftermarket* support GM thought the HHR would have? What about the 'customizers', hand-picked by GM for the '06 release (YearOne, PTeazer, GodFather, ...)??? I HONESTLY had hoped there'd be a little more on the market besides 3 CAI's, some rotors, a couple cat-backs, and some springs (for lack of listing every little thing: fuzzy dice, floor mats, fuel additives, etc...)!
Now before everyone jumps all over this post... I'm not knockin' anybody here. Site members and supporters have done a LOT for this movement, but there's only so much THEY can do (right SoCal?... thanks for ALL your efforts - but even some manufacturers give you the short end of the stick sometimes). Let's face it... even though there's DESIRE for more parts, where's the SUPPLY? Heck- PT's have a TON more on the market than we do (granted the years... but their customization was a LOT quicker to catch on).
Where's the major aftermarket support!?!? Aren't there enough HHR's selling to raise an eyebrow or two???
Just curious...
Old 01-11-2007, 10:11 PM
Banned

That's what I've been wondering since day one.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:22 PM

Think about how little there really are on the road campared to other cars. 100,000 isn't that many when you think that only a small percentage of them even care about aftermarket products. On top of that GM is in trouble overall and really hasn't done much to promote the HHR.

So yeah the hype was way overblown compared to reality.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:04 PM
Platinum Member

Unhappy

After the HHR build-off I thought the Aftermarket would get fired up on this car. Not including board members that have & do sell AM stuff..

There are 9 HHRs (as of today) sitting on my local Chevy Dealers lot. Varoius colors including 2 that are Summit White.
The salesmen seem poorly trained (IMO), I test drove one & it needed gas, I had to tell him where the fuel door was..& he really couldn't answer the questions I had for him. He said he would have to look into my questions I honestly have learned MORE here than I could at Chevy...
I also agree about GM's trouble, & not enough promoting of this vehicle..
Old 01-11-2007, 11:13 PM

I had the same experience, the salesmen at each dealer we bought ours from knew little about the car. They have since looked at me like an idiot when I first asked about the Fall Edition, then the panel and now the new edition that coming out. While its not GM's duty to train salespeople who don't work for them, it shows that few are interested in selling an economy car. and we have to face it that's whay we have, that's the way its promoted. when the PT first came out it was never promoted as an economy car.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:38 PM
Platinum Member

Yep true enough, sad when customer has a few more answers than the salesmen.. I was explaining "Black Chrome" to the salesman.. About the Panel, they had No Clue.. Hopefully they will get up to speed..
But I did notice that every HHR there (9 of them) were Fully Loaded 2LTs, more $$$$...
Salesman said that was ALL the owner would get, unless special order..

PT's I remember the Big hype, I test drove 3 of them, was somewhat tempted..... but the switch to chrysler was too much for me....

PLus the Turbo when I floored it, the steering wheel had a 'torque twist' had to hang on to the wheel or it would change lanes.....
Old 01-12-2007, 12:46 AM

Tonight I watched a great movie "Invincible" with Mark Wahlberg. Now regardless of what you think of "Markie-Mark" - it had some good manufacturing lessons in it.

One thing I noticed in the storyline was all the factory closures and layoffs around that time. They showed pictures of actual "machine shops" where a dozen different guys were running a dozen different lathes (manual ones). I remember when you could walk into a machine shop and ask them "Can you make me one of these?" The answer was always: "Hummmph, no - we can make it better than that!"

Then came the CNC age. Things went from making quality pieces by hand, to paying a guy $40-50hr to program a CNC machine. Soon the answer became; "How many do you want? We have to pay the programmer $XXXX to setup the machine, and it takes XXX hours - we can't just do ONE!" Personally, I can't afford to have 1000 of something made - that's a lot of my $$$ just sitting on the shelf.

At SEMA I spoke with manufacturers who wouldn't budge on thinking about making something until they knew "What are GM's production numbers? How many are on the road?" I provided all that info - and still they hedge. Spoke with KYB about struts; they won't even think about it until the car has been on the road 3 or more years (I've already been talking with Monroe and Gabriel about struts. They are dragging their feet as well.)

Goodyear, - now here's some guys with money. Spoke with them about their line of raised white letter tires. Explained how many HHR owners want RWL's and there are none on the market in our size. Explained how the NASCAR line was a natural for this. They told me they are killing the entire line due to slow sales and will only be keeping 1 size in production next year.

Turbo's - I've been on STS for over a year now - they still don't have production kit available for the HHR. Not enough interest they say.

Which brings me to one other point; the HHR's ECM, which has been a source of woe for many performance aftermarket suppliers. If the code were made readily available at the vehicle's release, I'm sure we would be seeing more aftermarket performance items (ignition, fuel management, turbos, etc.). But we're not. At least now we are finally starting to see a broader availability of real "tunes" - and they appear to be working well.

Finally, talking with GM at SEMA, I was majorly dissapointed that they did not even have a single HHR on the floor. Not even the Panel, which made it's debut at the Long Beach Auto Show before SEMA! That really made it apparent to me that to GM, the HHR was "last year's baby." The person in charge of HHR's wasn't even at SEMA. Whats up with that?

I'm sure GM has a long-term plan to keep the HHR around though, as it is one of the important vehicles that is raising their overall MPG numbers. They need a fuel efficient car to offset all those big trucks! And you can't fault them for not keeping the excitement going; they have released the Spring Edition, Fall Edition, announced the new Panel and SS, and now make the car in 12 colors including 2 just released for '07. Not bad at all for a vehicle only on it's 2nd production year!

I am in complete agreement that we need more aftermarket product availability. Perhaps if I won the lottery I could afford to foot the bill for some of it!
Old 01-12-2007, 12:54 AM

Thanks for the great post Mike! All of the things we want will happen, eventually. Assuning the HHR's production run lasts more than a few years.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:49 AM

Excellent post Mike. Sounds like you've looked into every angle there is and it's everyone else dragging their feet. Whoever is in charge of marketing the HHR needs to get off their dead butt and do their job.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:10 AM
Platinum Member

Thumbs up

Certainly appreciate the informative update Mike, & your work in this market...

I grew up working in an old Machine Shop, times have indeed changed..

I think the HHR will also be around for a while too..& I think the Panel will help it's lifespan as well. ... more widespread appeal.

Quick Reply: Where's the aftermarket support??