General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Why is the HHR still a secret?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 10:12 AM

Why is the HHR still a secret?

Here in lovely NYC, you never see the HHR in any of the ads Chevy has in the newspaper. Today I looked through the NY Carshow supplement-56 pages of car ads and reviews. Of the many Chevy dealers, only 1 had an HHR for sale, and it was a demo model. In contrast, Chrysler has their PT Cxxxxx in all of their ads. There was a small article and photo of our beloved car. Except it was in the 'Better SUV' section, along with the Jeeps, Tahoes, etc.

There has been a thread that talked about the HHR never beeing in any of the magazines. It seems to be that Chevy and GM want the HHR to be one of their well kept secrets.

Message to GM-try promoting the HHR and see what happens
Old 04-15-2006, 10:20 AM
Banned

I can't figure it out myself but if you listen to Chevy and the dealerships the HHR sells itself. You can't get any better than that. I guess that is a compliment to what a great vehicle Chevy has made.
Old 04-15-2006, 10:20 AM

Tip: dealers always advertise cars they can't sell. It is a waste of money to drop ads on cars you can't keep on the lot. Until very recently, most dealers couldn't hang onto an HHR for more than a few days. Many were "pre-sold." Now that GM has started trucking cars to dealers (they were having logistical problems with rail delivery), you will start to see more sitting on dealer lots. Our largest local Chevy dealer now has 6 on the lot! That's a first around here.

30mpg is pretty much enough advertising to sell any car nowadays!

Today, many buyers do internet searches on sites like MSN Auto to discover details about new cars. The HHR is represented very well there. And of course in amazingly wonderful classy forums such as this!
Old 04-15-2006, 12:57 PM

Here in San Francisco area, I have seen about 5 large Billboards, in various locations, of the HHR. My two favorite ones are located on each end of the SF-Bay Bridge, one on the SF side as soon as you enter SF, and the other on the Oakland side, again, as soon as you get off the bridge. There is also a couple in the south bay area (Greater San Jose Area - Silicon Valley).

I almost always slllooooowwwww down at those areas, and get a lot of head turning. Thus, after all the rubbernecking, cause the traffic behind me to slow down as well...

Lastly, I saw an Avis commercail last night, with a Black HHR, but it was not stock. It actually had a Billet Grille installed and looked lowered. Go figure...
Old 04-15-2006, 08:01 PM

From what I was told. GM has plent of cars to sell and has a huge inventory of cars not being old. The only popular lines are Caddy and vets becasue they have there own factory's.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:15 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by erf2u
Here in San Francisco area, I have seen about 5 large Billboards, in various locations, of the HHR. My two favorite ones are located on each end of the SF-Bay Bridge, one on the SF side as soon as you enter SF, and the other on the Oakland side, ...
Prove it! We want pictures, pictures, and more pictures!
Old 04-16-2006, 04:51 AM

I see HHRs all the time around here.
Old 04-16-2006, 05:35 AM
jx3

I thought companies advertise for something that NEEDS help. Why advertise to push something that is becoming a good seller?
Old 04-16-2006, 08:48 AM

Took the family up to Williamsburg, VA this weekend and we saw quite a few HHR's on the road and actually parked beside a couple in parking lots!
Funny story, when we were leaving Colonial Williamsburg, we were loading the kids up and this guy in a minivan pulls up. He asked if we were leaving so he could have our spot, I said yes and continued what I was doing. The he says, "Hey you got one of those new Chevys right!?" I say " Yea It's a HHR." Him " Man that is a sweet look'in ride!" I kinda felt bad that I couldn't say the same for his Caravan I was just like Thanks I like it too I'm sure some of you guys have had this happen.
Old 04-16-2006, 08:58 AM

When I ordered mine the dealer didn't have any on the lot and couldn't keep any when the did get them. But now they've got about 7 or 8 of about a dozen that arrived along with mine. I rarely see another HHR on the road around here.

Quick Reply: Why is the HHR still a secret?