General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Winter Tires Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 11:27 PM

Winter Tires Worth It?

I know its going to be the topic of choice over the next few weeks. My question is am i just better off getting Brand New All-Season Tire's? Winter Tire/Wheels are about $600 Bucks for $50-100 more i can get Brand new Tires and not have to deal with changing them out everytime the season change's etc.

What's everone's take? Please Note i was Comparing Goodyear Fuel Max and Bridgestone Blizzak.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:15 AM

I wouldn't get them if I lived in Phoenix, AZ... but anywhere north of that then absolutely, winter tires are safer than all-seasons.

http://www.canada.com/windsorstar/ne...6-90126f6b9e2c
Old 11-20-2009, 07:39 AM

i have never used winter tired on any of my vehicles, neither have my parents. We live/lived in Michigan and we get a good amount of snow, plus gong up north. I know a winter tire will probably do better specifically in the snow, but then when there isn't snow, they aren't as great.

I think a good all around tire, and actual skill driving in the snow is where it's at. And by a good all around tire, not the stock tires ( i know you have an SS). It was just wet roads here last night and the traction was poor. This will be the last season i keep them, mostly just to save money, before I get a good high performance all season.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:33 AM

Personaly I say no. I have never used them and I live in Canada. They are not needed IF you slow down and drive according to the weather conditions, if you don't you will get yourself into trouble and it is doubtful to me at least that even winter tires would save you then.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:45 AM

I think im just going to get a good All-Season tire. There alittle more Money then the Winter Tire's and i don't have to deal with the TPMS and Having tire's laying around getting in the way all year round. I have almost 20k on the Stocker's, I will be keeping them for one more winter unless it gets to crazy.
Old 11-21-2009, 05:35 PM

If you want to see what difference a tire makes on ice look on TIRE RACK at the ice video and you will see the benefits of a winter tire. Put them on my car last winter and am buying a set for the wife's car this year. I live in Michigan in a rural area on unpaved roads. As long as I live in ice and snow I will have winter tires!!
Old 11-21-2009, 10:40 PM

Back in the bias tire days I would have said yes..now a days it all depends where you live ( in city--boondocks) and how much you HAVE to drive. Me.. i just kep a spare truck around loaded with a few hundred lbs of whatever for those gotta go even though they said stay home days...
Old 11-24-2009, 09:28 PM

I would have to wonder about the tires you are pricing. I am getting new Pirelli's in the morning and they will be just over $500. The most expensive tires I was quoted were Michelin and they were considerably less than $600. Some brands I'd never heard of made in Japan and China respectively were about $350 and $390.

As far as winter tires, I've never had them on anything, had a drivers license for 31 years. I believe it boils down to driving skill. If things are really bad a set of cables will make any tires as good or better than specific winter tires. Everyone I know of who has put them on either had to buy new tires every year and put up with poor traction when not in the snow or had a set of tires laying around in the way and had to buy winter tires every 2 years or so. It just isn't worth it to me. Good tires that are siped are much better to me.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:57 AM

I live in the Snow Belt of the Great Lakes and I never have used snow tires.

A good all season is enought to safely get me anywhere I have need for over 30 pluse years. Add to the the new traction aids built into many of the new cars and they have become pretty much no brainers to drive.

While Winter tires will perform better they are not required by most perople. THere are some cases where if you live in an area that has a lot of ice or you live way out were the plows never go I could see their need but in most suburban areas they are nice to have if you want but you will not die like some will make you believe if you don't have them.

If you are of average driving skill a good set of All Season tires work very well and are more than enough. Note I said good A/S tires. There are some like my OE Pilots that could be better than they are.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:40 PM

I plow snow and have always used all weather tires on my plow vehicles. I do not see the need for dedicated snow tires.

Quick Reply: Winter Tires Worth It?